Phuket Governor orders ’shut down’ for Karon, Rawai

webfact

Phuket Governor orders ’shut down’ for Karon, Rawai

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1586144449_1-org.jpg

Russian tourists staying at a condo project in Rawai have been ordered to isolate themselves for 14 days. Photo: Rawai Municipality

PHUKET: Karon and Rawai have been “shut down” by order of the Phuket Governor, with all non-essential vehicles being banned entry or exit from the main tourist and expat residential areas in the south of the island.

The two orders by Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana to “shut down” the areas to try to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus were dated as issued yesterday (Apr 5), but were posted publicly in the Phuket office of the Public Relations Department official Facebook page after 10pm last night.

Both orders were worded to come into effect on Apr 6, less than two hours after the public was notified.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-orders-shut-down-for-karon-rawai-75596.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-06
  • Like 1

Closed them down with little notice on a public holiday so no one can do any last minute government or banking business. 

I have just made a trip to Immigration only to find a "closed for public holiday" sign on the gate. Chakra Day?

I've now made 4 trips to 3 different departments in recent weeks with nil service achieved. The way I'm going, the gov will close down my part of the Island before I can get back there to again try to extend my stay.

I see the new measures approved in cabinet regarding automatic visa extensions don't apply to long term expats. We have to extend and report as usual.

As we drove away from Immigration my unfortunate lady took the brunt of some of my hearty Australian vernacular about how things (don't) work in Thailand! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can someone please explain to me why its better to isolate for 14 days over just testing people?  Why is that not an option?   Even if it is 5000 baht I would pay that in a second versus sitting in a damn room for two weeks.  This <deleted> is so overdone.   

3 hours ago, Taco said:

Can someone please explain to me why its better to isolate for 14 days over just testing people?  Why is that not an option?   Even if it is 5000 baht I would pay that in a second versus sitting in a damn room for two weeks.  This <deleted> is so overdone.   

Might be thinking poorly from my isolation Taco but here goes: 

For testing to work and free people from isolation then every single person would need to be tested and tests verified before anyone could go out. Then those positive isolated in hospitals.

this isolation of positive people would have to include every single person in contact (even mildly in contact) with the infected person.

Otherwise if some are and some aren’t tested and your out and about Even after being cleared you could contract and become a spreader.

Seeing as they’ll never get complete testing of any populace done anywhere in the world the most effective option is to drive us bay crazy by isolating and see the infection rate dwindle away in a ‘natural’ time lapse kinda way.

take care Taco.

I’m getting out each day in isolated way and to isolated place about 30 minutes ride from my house and getting exercise n fresh air. Hope you stay clear n safe buddy ????????

11 hours ago, Taco said:

These are two separate things. 

Testing merely finds those infected.

Even if you were tested negative today doesn't mean you can't be infected tomorrow.I

Isolation prevents covid-19 from spreading by removing new people while also allowing any infected to manifest symptoms.  No new cases and virus effectively burns itself out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

No lock down yet in Karon.  There is a check point (tent) set up at the entrance to Kata Hill Guesthouse on the way to Chalong Circle.  No one is manning it when I passed by at 4pm.

At the moment (Tuesday 11.30) Chalong Circle is open. One check point in front of Tesco on the way to Rawai, but a lot of traffic and nobody been asked to stop.

3 hours ago, Chalong circle said:

At the moment (Tuesday 11.30) Chalong Circle is open. One check point in front of Tesco on the way to Rawai, but a lot of traffic and nobody been asked to stop.

I think it will be rigidly enforced during the night. In another post there was mention of army personnel getting out at Wat Chalong

• Like 1