Thailand reports 51 new coronavirus cases, three more deaths

webfact

31 minutes ago, khunpa said:

I am starting to believe that the warm weather does have an effect on this virus, as well as wearing masks. Add to that, that Thais do not shake hands, which also limits spread.

With so many Chinese coming in to the country during January and February, the streets should be full of dead people now. This has clearly not happened. So the virus must have trouble spreading here at same rate as other countries.

I hope this continues like this.

Hot, humid, UV, high pollution, Covid-19 virus does not survive or has a limited survival time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Based on even the steady +/- 100 new cases per day figure, there wasn't much justification for the latest threats to ramp up the curfew and various other measures, if we get a few days at the 50 level then there'll be even less. I'm guessing the authorities are in headless chicken mode, as they are in a number of countries, and simply want to be seen to be doing something, anything. As somebody said recently in the UK government, they're basically damned whatever they do. If they turn the screws further on self-isolation then they'll be accused of going overboard if it works and numbers start to decline, while they'll also be accused of not doing enough if it doesn't work and numbers continue to increase. Who'd want to be a politician at the moment?

Much more true in the USA than in most countries. Rarely has the media in a country (with freedom of speech) been more openly hateful and more guilty of "fake news" than most of the US media is toward President Trump. If he personally created an instantaneous cure for COVID-19, and distributed it to every American citizen at his own expense, most of the media would twist it into some sort of accusation of evil behavior by him. 

Edited by patsfangr
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

An article in Saturday's Bangkok Post focussed on how much money Thailand's richest had lost because of Covoid 19; it was an awful lot. I expect a reset at the beginning of next month to allow people to spend more; presuming they have any to spend. Malls, restaurants and bars could re-open with some rules about social distancing. I think Thailand will want tourists back in June, from China, Korea and Japan initially.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

That's exactly what I've been saying to people who don't believe the numbers. If there was a mass crisis, we would know. Thais love their Facebook more than anyone and they'd be snapping away in overcrowded hospitals and showing the morgue trucks. 

I drove by two hospitals yesterday in my area of Bangkok and the parking lots were near empty. 

Makes sense. Avoid contact with possible covid infected people if it all possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver sea said:

Isn’t the problem though that Songkran is nearly here?! People will want to mass together and get close to each other and get drunk and drive their motorbikes and cars. This year not only lots of RTAs with deaths and injuries and visits to hospital, but all the congregating in large numbers will be an opportunity for the virus to spread itself around.

The question is if there is lockdown over Songkran, how quickly will it be lifted afterwards, bearing in mind the low infection rates and death numbers. 3 deaths from coronavirus, whereas the daily rate for deaths on the road is about 47, yet the government does little to force people to drive more carefully and responsibly.

Lockdowns are incredibly difficult. Food, medical reasons, key workers, etc etc.                   

Just shows how vulnerable we humans are. Not as super powerful as we think against Mother Nature.

Most governments don't go to lockdown if they can help it.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockeybik said:

While I agree the numbers are no doubt higher, maybe even a lot higher, don't you think that we would hear about more up-country hospitals overflowing and bodies piling up at the local wats if it was like 100 times higher? The hospitals and clinics near us in the outskirts of Bangkok aren't bursting with patients. So, barring that kind of underground news - everyone has a cellphone nowadays, so it would be tough to hide - the only metric we have are the "official" numbers. Since the numbers are not rising exponentially...and in the last few days, actually going down a little maybe there is reason to believe things are getting better and hiding in our homes is working. How many more cases would it take for the difference in reported numbers and actual numbers to be so obvious that it could not remain hidden? While Thailand doesn't have the most free press on the planet, it ain't China either. Fire away but when you do, please have some sort of evidence that the numbers are so much higher than being reported.

On Facebook I don't see anyone reporting to have Corona so they are either not posting or it's getting deleted or both. Numbers are way higher in every country because we know not enough testing is being done, in Thailand the quoted testing numbers seems a lot higher than expected because nearly everyone who gets Corona goes to hospital and we know from other countries only 1 in 5 needs hospital treatment

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Isn’t the problem though that Songkran is nearly here?! People will want to mass together and get close to each other and get drunk and drive their motorbikes and cars. This year not only lots of RTAs with deaths and injuries and visits to hospital, but all the congregating in large numbers will be an opportunity for the virus to spread itself around.

The question is if there is lockdown over Songkran, how quickly will it be lifted afterwards, bearing in mind the low infection rates and death numbers. 3 deaths from coronavirus, whereas the daily rate for deaths on the road is about 47, yet the government does little to force people to drive more carefully and responsibly.

"Your not going to win Prayut" seems to be the message around here.  Judging by the attitude of the people who live 2 houses down. The son-in-law to Mr and Mrs Miserable face drives a heavy pick-up for fruit delivery....mangoes being the norm.   Well last Saturday they had a luncheon for fruit delivery people.  6 heavy pick-ups and 4 or 5 other pick-ups together with 20 or so people turned up.   There was some drinking of cups of tea....or maybe it was alcohol till dusk....then they all disappeared!  Like in the space of 10 minutes they all went!  I can understand even a tough and hardy Thai could only take so much of Mrs Miserable face.....or maybe the whiskey ranout....maybe both!  Anyway, Prayut needs to send police patrols to every village 2 or 3 times a day,  and night too if he wantS social distancing and a curfew to work. 

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

You can find updates on every country, with data on number of tests, cases, fatality rate etc. here: https://coronawiki.org/

and here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

They seem to use the number of PUI for the "Total tests" figure, which is not correct. Before MoPH deleted the "pending test" number from it's reports, it was clear that many of the PUIs were not tested.

Edited by DrTuner

Songkran was postponed indefinitely,  to stop the mass exodus over Songkran, so that will not happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

Spread 5-10k deaths out over 69 provinces and then over 8 weeks. 

Yes, would not make much of a blip - yet.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

1*r-ddYhoUtP_se6x-NOEinA.png

We are now heading to the "Lockdown" part of it. I do think the warm weather does play a role in reducing R0,  but all that does is to slow it down, not to stop it. Does flatten the curve, though.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

I am starting to believe that the warm weather does have an effect on this virus, as well as wearing masks. Add to that, that Thais do not shake hands, which also limits spread.

With so many Chinese coming in to the country during January and February, the streets should be full of dead people now. This has clearly not happened. So the virus must have trouble spreading here at same rate as other countries.

I hope this continues like this.

I am pretty sure you are right with the weather; the pattern is confirmed with other hot countries. Less cases and low death percentage. Unfortunately many negative reactions in the blog again of people who actually have no clue. Comparing figures over the last 80 days of all countries in the world (my new hobby), it is clear that Thailand is reporting as honest as possible, unlike my own country in Netherlands who are unable to measure all suspects. Please see my graph (not including the last figures of today). 

Thailand COVID-19 status 6th April 2020.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, papao123 said:

Seems like 51 infected out of 600 test yesterday. (24474 to 25071 (if the number from wordometer is real))

No, the number in worldometer is simply the cumulative PUI count from MoPH. Before they deleted the numbers for pending test, it was clear not all PUIs got tested. It's more likely only a part of the new PUI will get tested.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/index.php

Capture.JPG.be432d8fef3eafc1b6f19efeefc952f7.JPG

Capture.JPG.d28e7cb5e45829673cc0cacd95b08a4d.JPG

The only source for raw data is MoPH. All others just aggregate the information from them.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

You have to treat this as good news. Yes, I know there are probably more cases out there, but from the perspective that the government has been saying it would only ramp up restrictions if the figures got worse, we can at least hope for some sense of normality to return, as opposed to things getting tighter.

Just hoping these figures are correct, and not just for the world to see that Thailand is superior and has the virus under control, the last thing we want is restrictions to be lifted when the virus is still rampant, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

No, probably more to do with running out of tests

Most of test are done in Bangkok, i think half of them so 300 per day or near that number. People from another provinces have to wait ( could be 30 test per day for each of these province) pretty low i mean to keep tracing the infected people

• Like 1

Three more deaths, 51 new Covid-19 cases in Thailand

By THE NATION

800_e7d5b6379001498.jpg?v=1586155485

Thailand reported 51 new cases of Covid-19 and three more deaths today (April 6), bringing the total number of confirmed cases nationwide to 2,220 and 26 deaths, the spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, said.

He said 119 patients have recently recovered and are being sent back home soon.

Among the 51 new patients, 25 contracted Covid-19 from previous patients, three were infected after attending a religious ceremony in Malaysia, one foreigner contracted the virus from abroad, three are in “high-risk careers”, and 13 are medical personnel.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385487

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-06

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

No, probably more to do with running out of tests

More specifically out of the reagents used in the RT-PCR diagnosis. I would think there are enough produced at this point, not sure if enough have been procured.

The question that needs to be seriously considered is how many tests are backlogged and there has been no reporting on them.  Are those tests being run in small batches, and is that why we see the small numbers now because of a lack of clarity, or are we in the trough.  The trough before the next big explosion of numbers.  For me, with the current movement we are seeing at the government level as far as putting things in place with curfews and such, I fear for the worst.  But then, what do I know.....stay safe and stay frosty....

• Like 1