Thailand reports 51 new coronavirus cases, three more deaths

webfact

5 minutes ago, offset said:

I would not be surprised to see a 24 hr curfew just over songkran

Me either ... that has to happen, I don't see any other way around it.

If I read all the posts from fellow posters on here, plus see the social distancing habits of the Thai's.

What's there left to wonder or be surprised about?

Better prepare for this now and just get through with it. No other way.

Also, don't forget to go to the ATM machine and get a bit more cash out ... just in case.

And just in case there are holidays and banking branches closed ????

Edited by RedPill

20 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The source for those daily tests figures? Roser's ourworldindata shows no data for Thailand since 31. March.

As I mentioned the data is derived via the only method available at the moment and the one that ourworldindata uses. The spreadsheet is by me entering those numbers from the last couple of days only.

I appreciate your points but until or if Thailand ever has a clear method for reporting daily tests then this method is the only we or anyone else in the world including governments and WHO has of getting some insight into the numbers tested in Thailand. A similar situation to when China was in crisis, at least with their numbers although most did not believe them including me, we could get a sense of the trend.

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 hours ago, kevin612 said:

51 is very impressive, keep bring it down. Anyway, I am satisfied with today’s number. 
stay safe, everyone.

These 51 are most likely people who just feel sick and then they issue the test...... In the USA they have done over 1.5 million via drive-up people want to know and then they have 338k cases 9.6k deaths. Thailand isn't testing unless you pay or you go in sick to a hospital.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

One question, where the heck have you been hiding for the past few weeks to not see that Songkran was canceled awhile back.  Of course people will still do what they want in this country so nothing amazes me anymore.  When I see someone doing something they should not be doing, and the laws are broken daily I just shake my head.

As i said I thought that the organised events were call off so i guess that's the same thing as saying it was cancelled,so I guess I did see that it was cancelled.So have they cancelled the annual holidays?

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So the Thai new year holidays are cancelled as well?When did that happen?I thought it was just organised Songkran events where cancelled.Interesting to see if the hols are not cancelled and how the Thai population react to being told they can't go home for the holidays to visit family.

Certainly my wife has been told that some of her nephews and a neice who work in  Samut Prakan and Chon Buri will not be able to return due to not being allowed to enter Buriram province.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Engineer said:

I am pretty sure you are right with the weather; the pattern is confirmed with other hot countries. Less cases and low death percentage. Unfortunately many negative reactions in the blog again of people who actually have no clue. Comparing figures over the last 80 days of all countries in the world (my new hobby), it is clear that Thailand is reporting as honest as possible, unlike my own country in Netherlands who are unable to measure all suspects. Please see my graph (not including the last figures of today). 

Thailand COVID-19 status 6th April 2020.jpg

It is good to see some more scientifically-based responses (although the graphs produced by the statisticians are obviously based on figures supplied by each country, and we can only hope that they are accurate).

Looking at this website,   https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/,

It appears that the daily number of new infections is now dropping below the number of people recovering, so that is heartening and means that the hospitals are not being stretched too much.

Let's hope we do not have a relapse; we need to get back to work as soon as possible...

1 hour ago, jmacken306 said:

These 51 are most likely people who just feel sick and then they issue the test...... In the USA they have done over 1.5 million via drive-up people want to know and then they have 338k cases 9.6k deaths. Thailand isn't testing unless you pay or you go in sick to a hospital.

There is also a question mark on some of the fast testing kits being trialled. The UK Health Minister said that some kits were very bad with only a 25% success rate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

As i said I thought that the organised events were call off so i guess that's the same thing as saying it was cancelled,so I guess I did see that it was cancelled.So have they cancelled the annual holidays?

Next weeks holidays are not official as of today, as normally banks and financial markets would be closed, and the next bank holiday is for May

33 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So the Thai new year holidays are cancelled as well?When did that happen?I thought it was ju byst organised Songkran events where cancelled.Interesting to see if the hols are not cancelled and how the Thai population react to being told they can't go home for the holidays to visit family.

My lady has to work over Songkran, not even days off for the new year.

She has, however had her working week cut from 6 to 5 days and only working 

10 hours a day.

She works in a factory making parts for Aircon units  in Pathum Thani, if that makes 

any difference to other people's experiences.

She has a mai bpen rai attitude to having the holidays cancelled, her 

birthday is on the 14th so the time is particularly poignant for her.

Looking at the Facebook posts and links by her friends and family, there

doesn't seem to be much talk about Songkran, other than it being the 1st

time anyone can remember it being cancelled.

I have picked up a lot of anti government posts, especially since the 

Future forward guy was shut down. Not full on rebellion, just a lot 

more negative comments than before.

Edited by shy coconut
Additional

13 minutes ago, tso310 said:

Certainly my wife has been told that some of her nephews and a neice who work in  Samut Prakan and Chon Buri will not be able to return due to not being allowed to enter Buriram province.

So apart from travel restrictions the actual holidays haven't been cancelled that you're aware of?Also how many people are allowed to be together before it becomes illegal?Is it illegal to sit in a family and friends group to share a meal?

Edited by FarFlungFalang

18 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Traubert go see a quack mate before your face gets stuck in the smiley position. 

I find it impossible to comment without someone being insulted.

So you have to guess what I mean.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So apart from travel restrictions the actual holidays haven't been cancelled that you're aware of?

On the religious side I the monks will be wailing away as normal. On the water throwing certainly it should be rigorously stopped if only from the severe lack of water in many parts of Isaan. Factories have been closed before the normal Songran exodus but how many I don't know. Don't forget a lot of the workers are bussed from the dormitory areas to the factory so that may have been the reason. It's getting back up to Buriram which does seem to be the problem for those it don't leave a week or so ago.

3 hours ago, champers said:

An article in Saturday's Bangkok Post focussed on how much money Thailand's richest had lost because of Covoid 19; it was an awful lot. I expect a reset at the beginning of next month to allow people to spend more; presuming they have any to spend. Malls, restaurants and bars could re-open with some rules about social distancing. I think Thailand will want tourists back in June, from China, Korea and Japan initially.

No country should accept anyone from China for the next ten years at least, I bet there will be some countrys that will never learn and Thailand will be the first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

Based on even the steady +/- 100 new cases per day figure, there wasn't much justification for the latest threats to ramp up the curfew and various other measures, if we get a few days at the 50 level then there'll be even less. I'm guessing the authorities are in headless chicken mode, as they are in a number of countries, and simply want to be seen to be doing something, anything. As somebody said recently in the UK government, they're basically damned whatever they do. If they turn the screws further on self-isolation then they'll be accused of going overboard if it works and numbers start to decline, while they'll also be accused of not doing enough if it doesn't work and numbers continue to increase. Who'd want to be a politician at the moment?

I would, they still get paid.

27 minutes ago, tso310 said:

On the religious side I the monks will be wailing away as normal. On the water throwing certainly it should be rigorously stopped if only from the severe lack of water in many parts of Isaan. Factories have been closed before the normal Songran exodus but how many I don't know. Don't forget a lot of the workers are bussed from the dormitory areas to the factory so that may have been the reason. It's getting back up to Buriram which does seem to be the problem for those it don't leave a week or so ago.

So apart from the water fights and throwing water at every passing person the real original aspect of Songkran is not cancelled and the merit making and the paying of respect to one's elders if you can get to them will be allowed and the holiday has not been cancelled.Cheers.

6 minutes ago, thirdculture said:

Wouldn't it simply take testing everyone to resolve the virus problem?

If you test positive you stay home and if you get sicker you go to the hospital.

If you test negative off you go to work, to school, to wherever.

Indeed, in lieu of a cure or vaccine, mass testing into the millions is going to be the only way to exit the lock downs without having further waves of the epidemic. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thirdculture said:

Wouldn't it simply take testing everyone to resolve the virus problem?

If you test positive you stay home and if you get sicker you go to the hospital.

If you test negative off you go to work, to school, to wherever.

Yes that would be the ideal solution but almost impossible to do. It would involve testing 60 million people and testing/isolating them at the same time. Otherwise a week later someone who did test negative could get infected and start the cycle again.

• Thanks 1