How many road deaths have been saved?

transam

40 minutes ago, transam said:

Bit off topic but, I wonder how many Thai road deaths have been saved via the lock downs and other stuff related to the virus.....Think it was around 45 per day before, I wonder about recently...

So far the virus has killed 23 over a longish period here, so if there was no lock down the road fatalities would be waaaaaay higher..

roads around me are just as busy as ever 

35 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Lucky you in Australia you get fined going for a drive which is non essential

I probably would be too, but I have not seen a cop for a very long time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I wonder how many people will have to put their lives in the hands of the money lenders--never to see the debt paid off/ I wonder how many small businesses will go belly up /  I wonder how many relationships will brake down because of the financial strain/ I wonder if there is going to be blood in the streets if this continues/  I wonder if we would have been better off without Covid-19 & stick with the motor bike madness

Folk do that stuff without the virus thing....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Folk do that stuff without the virus thing....

They do.......... but don't you think that stoppage of work & money, may exasperate that situation somewhat...............

Just now, sanuk711 said:

They do.......... but don't you think that stoppage of work & money, may exasperate that situation somewhat...............

Of course, but I know many who have borrowed before this situation, who have no means of paying it back...Getting their hands on money is the goal, paying it back is just a "technicality"..

The head honcho KNOWS the situation with the poorer Thai, but that is their problem, bit like Thai family pensioners, their problem..

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

How do they know if you’re going (or not) food shopping?

They don't. You just say you are. It's state based. Lots of people are walking around doing whatever. NSW has the biggest problem and the premier is a moron. Let a ship in with 600 infected people.

17 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

They don't. You just say you are. It's state based. Lots of people are walking around doing whatever. NSW has the biggest problem and the premier is a moron. Let a ship in with 600 infected people.

Exactly my point. It’s unmanageable. Just fluffy words and threats which can’t be policed.  

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

No you don't. That's a state rule and only dumbies would get done.

Yes smart a*** the dummy is you.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-16-reasonable-excuses-for-going-out-in-nsw/news-story/551a7f916c554e29c556d5cec86380e7

Edited by White Christmas13

1 minute ago, CygnusX1 said:

This law is utterly moronic. Go for a drive without getting out of your car, strictly illegal. Go for a drive and make sure you stop off at a supermarket, legal. But which is more likely to expose others to infection should you be an asymptomatic carrier of the China virus?

They are making it up on the hoof. It’s nonsense. 

• Sad 1

From 2019 data it's about 65 per day on the average pronounced dead at the scene (don't know what the numbers are that later die in the hospital). With 85 percent of those being on motorbikes...

In Hua Hin the amount of motor bike traffic is about the same but Car and light trucks are much less sooo the motorbikes are going faster and crazier than ever ! You're at far greater risk of getting jousted by a Grab or Food Panda rider or run over by local cops in a hurry to make it to their "curfew monitoring station" (Nice big tent with tables and chairs for the their food and card games)...than contracting the Virus. 

It's too bad you can't get the Thais to wear helmets as easily as it was to get em to wear masks...ALmost one hundred percent of the riders surveyed (my official unsanctioned survey) are wearing masks with less than fifty percent of the drivers and none of the riders wearing helmets!

Ya kinda wanna shake your head and laugh if it wasn't so sad...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I wonder how many people will have to put their lives in the hands of the money lenders--never to see the debt paid off/ I wonder how many small businesses will go belly up /  I wonder how many relationships will brake down because of the financial strain/ I wonder if there is going to be blood in the streets if this continues/  I wonder if we would have been better off without Covid-19 & stick with the motor bike madness

My old man once said to me when he saw that I was down early in my life; son, you know life is not a straight line, there are going to be big mountains you are going to have to climb, and you will be mentally exhausted, but when you finally reach the peak, you will rest and, then see the downhill journey will be less challenging for you, you will also turn and go the wrong way and have will to turn back after a long journey on the wrong road, that won't be easy, but you have to look at life as a journey, we will all get to the same place at the end of our journey, so when challengers are put in front of you, and they will throughout your life, look at each one as a new journey, duck and weave as if someone is throwing punches at you, and eventually you will tire them, now here drink this, and just remember, I have been where you are coming from, smiled and drank his drink.

My take in answering your questions.

1) Don't over borrow. 

2) Never chain yourself down to a job that you "need" to depend on to survive, e.g. have different skill sets, if it's a business, make sure it's a portable one so that you don't have to pay for a lease/mortgage etc etc.

If relationships are based on finances, it is destined to fall apart.

Blood in the streets is always possible when people overextend and or banks increase rates or governments make changes.

The above said, my freedom is all that has been affected with this Covid-19 situation at the moment, as for the 50% drop in my share portfolio, well, that is what stock markets do, they go up and down, but things will change in time, for the better, that said, I can't take it with me, so I will eat from my fruits of labor as the dividends keep coming in.

Naturally we would have been better off without the pandemic, but one would hope the "leaders" of the world will take note of this pandemic, and spend less on military and more on finding cures for future outbreaks, however I wouldn't be putting any money on it, because it is less profitable and they need to keep culling.

21 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Stop wondering you already know the answer 

I must confess, the thought had occurred to me that this could be the first ever pandemic that saved lives! With road traffic & pollution down the analysis after all this is going to be fascinating. Having said that, if overall deaths are down it will merely serve to illustrate what a totally f**ked up world this is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cougar52 said:

?? Two pages already and not one answer to the original question, what a bush of loud moths not worth anything. ????

I have a small tree in my garden where the moths gather at night, none of them are loud.

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cougar52 said:

?? Two pages already and not one answer to the original question, what a bush of loud moths not worth anything. ????

Steady on ol' chap, today I can't get my lawn mower started, but I haven't come back on here being sh_ty.......????.............................????

6 hours ago, VYCM said:

I find it strange how the Thais have this safety obsession of wearing a face mask for well-being but refuse to wear a helmet when riding.

Yesterday I saw these 2 idiots without helmets racing down the Sukhumvit on their load, un-roadworthy, modified scooters travelling around 100km/hr in and out of traffic, wearing their face mask.

But look how many people choose to smoke and/or drink = 2 of the biggest killers in the world! Madness or what? 

Tobacco 8 million deaths per year https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tobacco 

Alcohol 3 million deaths per year  https://www.who.int/health-topics/alcohol