No plans to order 24 hour curfew in Thailand: govt

Jonathan Fairfield

No plans to order 24 hour curfew in Thailand: govt

2020-04-03T160330Z_1_LYNXMPEG321OW_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-CURFEW.JPG

A Thai police officer wearing a protective face mask is seen at a checkpoint, as Thailand imposes a nationwide night curfew from Friday April 3, to try to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Bangkok, Thailand, April 3, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

There will be no extension to the current curfew in Thailand, the government said on Monday.

Over the weekend, rumours circulated on social media that an announcement of a 24 hour curfew was imminent.

However, two government officials on Monday said that there are no plans to order a 24 hour curfew any time soon.

In his daily media briefing, Mr. Natapanu Nopakun, Deputy Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, confirmed the government has no plans to order a 24 hour curfew at this time. 

Mr. Natapanu said the rumours began after the Ministry of Interior told provincial governors in Thailand to prepare themselves for a higher level of alert. 

The current hours of curfew from 10pm to 4am remain unchanged, Mr. Natapanu said. 

People in Thailand are urged to comply with the current curfew and only listen to official government updates regarding curfews and other measures introduced to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The news comes as Thailand reported a dip in new COVID-19 cases compared to previous days.

Health officials on Monday announced 51 new cases and three deaths. 51 people have also been discharged having made a full recovery, bringing the total number of people discharged to 793.

Confirmation of no 24 hour curfew from approx 4mins.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-06

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No 24-hour curfew soon: Interior Ministry

By THE NATION

800_148b4579757636a.jpg?v=1586157158

The Interior Ministry today (April 6) denied rumours that a 24-hour curfew will be announced soon, saying there is no current plan and that it has not issued any such order.

“The ministry recently dispatched an order to provincial governors to prepare five measures in case the Covid-19 situation escalates,” Deputy Interior Minister Niphon Bunyamanee said. “These preparations are not for an all-day curfew.”

The five measures are:

1) Prepare quarantine facilities for Thais who have returned from abroad.

2) Coordinate with local administration offices and related agencies regarding steps to prevent Covid-19 from spreading in communities.

3) Prepare food supplies and product distribution centres.

4) Ready personnel in case the curfew is extended or expanded.

5) Report the situation and all problems to the ministry’s Covid-19 centre.

“The authority to announce extension or expansion of the curfew rests with the Covid-19 Administration Centre at Government House,” he said.

“The Interior Ministry centre will be mainly responsible for making sure people in all provinces have access to necessary consumer products and medical supplies, while local agencies are ready to comply with any new government policies,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385488

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-06
  • Haha 1

No plan for 24-hour curfew yet

By THE NATION

800_2459963b48a7e32.jpg

File photo: Narumon Pinyosinwat

Government spokeswoman Narumon Pinyosinwat dismissed rumours that a 24-hour curfew will be declared this week, saying on Monday (April 6) that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has yet to make a decision on the matter.

She spoke amid growing speculation that the government will impose a round-the-clock curfew on April 10 to curb the Covid-19 pandemic.

She said that the rumour was groundless, but that the government was prepared to take further action if the speed of the outbreak did not slow. She said people should listen only to official announcements from the government or the Centre of Covid-19 Situation Administration.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385492

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-06

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

2.1) Prepare CCP-covid-19 testing stations. Test, test, test, identify and isolate. Wait... no, no, no. Can't do that. Figures must stay low.

Wait, what happened to the drive through testing sites, I needed to drive through and pick up my burger, fries, and the shake after they swab me, then I will go and donate some blood on the way back home.  Wait, here is a serious question.  Are those that are currently donated the much needed blood being tested or?  Dear me, No No No, I do not want to know....

I thought the government said that they had no plants for  this current (10 - 4) curfew at first, but then a few days later it started.   That was the impression I had, but I admit I can't find the news article about it, so I may be totally wrong, in which case, very sorry!

The wording on this article about a new 24 hour curfew is a bit concerning for me though, as it says they don't 'have a plan' for a 24 hour curfew, and their won't be one 'soon', rather then them saying they won't be having one at all unless things get bad. 

'Soon' is not really a measurable time period in my opinion.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 2

You've prob seen this commercial from a well known beverage company. My god, they run it at least 20 times while pa-in-law is trying to watch his Muay Thai.

They appear to be out well past curfew, with blind disregard for social distancing. Why hasn't the Great Leader had these pulled?

Screenshot_20200406_163110.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I thought that the English language summary shown was good.

The explanation about mask types was helpful - should any supplies materialise around here.

As for showering when you return home and washing your clothes frequently - yes - but the village in which I live has had no tap water for over a week now. I have a tank and a cistern, but when they run dry that is it.

dig a bore,no town water here for 2 months,or surely you can get a water truck to deliver?

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I thought the government said that they had no plants for  this current (10 - 4) curfew at first, but then a few days later it started.   That was the impression I had, but I admit I can't find the news article about it, so I may be totally wrong, in which case, very sorry!

The wording on this article about a new 24 hour curfew is a bit concerning for me though, as it says they don't 'have a plan' for a 24 hour curfew, and their won't be one 'soon', rather then them saying they won't be having one at all unless things get bad. 

'Soon' is not really a measurable time period in my opinion.  

'Having no plan for' means as much here as it does in any government.

Nothing.

As soon as someone puts pen to paper and writes something down then it's a plan. Until that happens, speculation and tentative actions can be as rife as you like & there's no plan. A variation on this theme is 'There is no 'official' plan' (which means even less).

Lies. damn lies, statistics and politicians...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimmjam said:

All those people at tesco today spending all their money on a month or 2's supplies will be a little <deleted> off.????

I just popped out first time for a while to grab some milk, eggs and some necessities. I've never seen Tesco as ram packed!!

No trolleys left, no baskets left and couldn't walk in the isles. Shopping carts at the checkout with 2 months supply of drinking water...

Greedy ((deleted))!!

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So Prayuth starts a rumour that 24 hour curfew will be put in place if numbers keep rising and the spokeswoman denies the rumours are true.Then says actually Prayuth hasn't made his mind up and therefore there might be a 24 hr curfew this week.Well that's clear as mud as usual. 

Spread confusion = spread panic

A prime example of dire leadership.

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

dig a bore,no town water here for 2 months,or surely you can get a water truck to deliver?

We have a well, it is dry - as is the much deeper one  nearby which supplies the village water tower. I suppose I will have to look into getting a bowser to come by. 

• Like 1