Hard Times..... Dey Bee Here

Gonzo the Face

Just need to get this off my chest and see if any other business owners would care to comment.... or any others who would want to have a say.

I have to say I have never seen or even dreamed of conditions like today,  with this worldwide virus thing.  A number of you know of me and my business in CM.... or I should say lack of business here in CM,  This lockdown along with certain other factors that have been imposed by the powers that be,  have wiped out any and all semblance of a business.  Since the beginning of this month, I have had 2 customers, on two seperate days.  To make that fully correct, the same customer on two different days.  People are out and about, but no one stops in or even calls for a take-a-way order.  Unlike all others, with the exception of Trump who knows everything, we don't have any idea how long this will last.   I have been here at my business for 24 years now and am seriously thinking about just shutting it down.  Have no idea about what I would do other just play with the computer, but can only do so much of that before going nuts, which I must be already pretty well along the way.  Just need to vent a little.   Are there any others , in business or whatever, who would like to vent along with me ???  Pile on and lets vent and comiserate and maybe we all can/will feel not so alone in this boat.  PS I just ate some of Ms Gonzos Egg rolls and they were terrific.  I'll pay and then you can read 3 customers now.  

Pile on gang !!!!   Thanks for listening.

Gonzo

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Since the beginning of this month, I have had 2 customers, on two seperate days. 

I am so sad for you that the lock down and the goal of saving peoples lives is hurting your business.  Unfortunately, after 24 years why doesn't your business have more of a local following?

The places I see that people like and have a following are getting many home deliveries and walk up take away orders.  

Good luck to you hope you make a wise decision about your future.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

My company also don't have any customers and i am locked up in the house with my G.F. and her son.

God help me.

It will take at least another 8 more months before tourists will come back when the virus is under control.

So brace yourself for a long run.

Happily the liquor stores are still open.

Stay healthy stay strong!

You may be getting no customers because they have no money. I don't know what your financial position is, but you are between a rock and a hard place if you have no reserves to fall back on. Sorry, but that's life for many now.

I'm predicting 3 - 6 months before things get freed up here, or there is massive civil disobedience in the interim. Stay safe.

• Like 1

I am a retired small business owner and don't know how you guys will survive this... my heartfelt sympathies for sure... to lose all of your customers through no fault of your own is just not fair... 

So, CM - where? And are you still allowed to be open? I don't go out much but seems all is shuttered. And are those egg rolls for the public too? How can I get some? 

PM me if you cannot post here.. 

It sucks Big Time.

Always enjoyed dropping by for your excellent brekky. Will have to get off my A** and get some take away from you. Live in Doi Saket so will have to do it on a day when I am in the Big City.

Hang in There.

57 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I am a retired small business owner and don't know how you guys will survive this... my heartfelt sympathies for sure... to lose all of your customers through no fault of your own is just not fair... 

So, CM - where? And are you still allowed to be open? I don't go out much but seems all is shuttered. And are those egg rolls for the public too? How can I get some? 

PM me if you cannot post here.. 

Thank you KenK24....& just to dangle the carrot... I just came in for the evening snack and my very special wife had another 4 left over from the earlier batch.  They were every bit as delicious as the earlier snack....maybe even better.  I'll drop you a pm later on or in the morn on how to contact me.   I don't feel right giving my places name or contact details on or in a post, as I used to be a sponsor on this forum. I don't hold it against others doing that, but its not right for me to say it. Hope to see you in for a eggroll/springroll soon.   C U

Hey John sorry for the downturn in business, I think it's hurting everyone in the restaurant business. Just curious, is there any way to drum up business from that high rise next door. There certainly wouldn't be any place closer to them.  Good luck, stay healthy

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

It sucks Big Time.

Always enjoyed dropping by for your excellent brekky. Will have to get off my A** and get some take away from you. Live in Doi Saket so will have to do it on a day when I am in the Big City.

Hang in There.

Yes we do have a bit of a rep for our brekkys, especially our Superman or Chicken Fried Superman Brekkies.  Hope to see you soon to say Thank You for the compliment.

1 minute ago, ramrod711 said:

Hey John sorry for the downturn in business, I think it's hurting everyone in the restaurant business. Just curious, is there any way to drum up business from that high rise next door. There certainly wouldn't be any place closer to them.  Good luck, stay healthy

We do get a little from there but there are 3 places other than us , all within a hundred yards.  Hope to see you again and soon.

We cannot do incoming sit downs now only Takeaways.  Thanks for remembering.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

We do get a little from there but there are 3 places other than us , all within a hundred yards.  Hope to see you again and soon.

We cannot do incoming sit downs now only Takeaways.  Thanks for remembering.

Sad to say, the wife and I are locked down out here in the village. They even have pickup trucks with Thai police enforcing the curfew. Our big outing for the week was Big C extra, pharmacy and the bank then back to boredom. Fortunately I have adequate supply of E-books. When things clear up I'll be by for chicken fried steak.

9 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Sad to say, the wife and I are locked down out here in the village. They even have pickup trucks with Thai police enforcing the curfew. Our big outing for the week was Big C extra, pharmacy and the bank then back to boredom. Fortunately I have adequate supply of E-books. When things clear up I'll be by for chicken fried steak.

CHICKEN Fried Steak Din or Brekky I do know that cooped up feeling .  When  you can fly the coop, look forward to seeing you back.

My wife hasn't had any pick-ups for her products from locals, that usually came up to a few times a day aside of shipping per post. 
The other shop online has also decreased by over 50% and this started already a bit before the lockdown, people seem to be out of money.

Personally I did not see this one coming either, when working remote and living in CM you not always meet new clients etc easily, thus when losing one it can take quite a while to find a new one, let alone during a crisis. Long story short, I diversified over multiple continents and countries, yet all are affected too.

Ok in the basis but luxury money is gone for now, would not know what to do if I actually had a business location to pay rent for etc on top of that.
It is not unlikely that this will have much longer lasting effects with both local economy as well tourism, might be less populair for a year or so to travel that much.

Also looking at cutting some costs down if things get worse than this or long term. Many businesses might expect everything to be back to normal right after lockdown finishes. Add low season to it for tourism etc. Perhaps the best chance is for those who focus on Chinese and they return the soonest + with most.

I consider the entire year lost already, just trying to stay ahead otherwise.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

I personally keep being amazed by the fact that many of the businesses in tourism & hospitality remained open, even many places were quiet since a few years already.
Would really be clueless if they also survive this one again + sit out until high season.

Had my wife shut her restaurant a week and a half ago. She had 2 full time employees, paid 1/2 their salary for 4 weeks which will be renewed ongoing only for one as the other she let go because she was a crumby worker and giving too much attitude. That is a good thing for us though. She also has Panda which was doing semi ok, but I just told her time to temporarily shut down and ride it out for safety as that little money is not worth it. Nice having the family around but I personally also have things still coming in from business with the USA, although that may hit a bump coming up very soon. 
My advice is get a delivery service app or ride it out. Not easy for anyone. 

• Like 1

16years ago i came was looking to buy a business the expats i met all had the same advice

you come to los to enjoy and be happy /don't get involved in any business  you will be sad and lose 

after all the years here they were all right  /now i can tell the new comers the same advice

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I personally keep being amazed by the fact that many of the businesses in tourism & hospitality remained open, even many places were quiet since a few years already.

What "businesses in tourism & hospitality" in Chiang Mai have you seen with your own eyes in the last week ?

~o:37;

2 hours ago, orang37 said:

What "businesses in tourism & hospitality" in Chiang Mai have you seen with your own eyes in the last week ?

~o:37;

Happen to pass  Tiger Kingdom . the X  Centre  and Steak of the Day Maerim  a few days back.

All  closed !!! and thats just  for entree.s

Edited by deej

8 hours ago, opalred said:

16years ago i came was looking to buy a business the expats i met all had the same advice

you come to los to enjoy and be happy /don't get involved in any business  you will be sad and lose 

after all the years here they were all right  /now i can tell the new comers the same advice

What a stupid comment from someone without the balls to give it a go.

I am no businessman, I came here with a suitcase and 300k in 2011, and have been immensely successful which has benefitted so many people.

In hindsight I should have been bolder and set up two more.

8 hours ago, opalred said:

Sorry that you met the wrong expats.

happy i met the smart expats/ in oz for 45years was employer of 1000s of people/

most of the people here get sucked into something to buy by a young maiden /and a standing c///k 

all these years not seen anyone make a fortune but seen many lose one cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, opalred said:

Yes  you are on target

Perhaps as in any business investment  some reap financial  rewards 

But

The odds are against   the  above

From my observations more fold.  then make a baht

And presently with Covid 19 hovering above. the recent sucessful  ones will fold  like a pack of cards  particular in the  Tourist/ Hospitality sector

• Like 1

Surely this doesn't apply to just Thailand. It's a case of most businesses in Thailand and the rest of the world are reeling from this crisis. Nothing about the situation at the moment is Thailand specific. Also comparing countries in the west 20-30-40 yrs ago to Thailand at present (or even those same countries), is a completely different ballgame.

• Like 2