Hard Times..... Dey Bee Here

Gonzo the Face

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

Surely this doesn't apply to just Thailand. It's a case of most businesses in Thailand and the rest of the world are reeling from this crisis. Nothing about the situation at the moment is Thailand specific. Also comparing countries in the west 20-30-40 yrs ago to Thailand at present (or even those same countries), is a completely different ballgame.

From my observations and picking up . call it gossipp  if u wish  Thailand was already on the road to a Recession and Covid 19  virus has made that a certainty

All business  partucular (Tourist/Hospitality Etc Etc)  such as the O/P  are indeed in Dire Straights!!! no fault of their own doing.  but the cards are going to fall that way  and the sucessful ones

are going feel it the most  in their pockets or walletts

Been there and done that with Oz.s  90/91 brutal recession just managed to stay afloat

GTF my advice.(from actual experience)  is to stay positive and keep the old memories ticking over  until u come out the other side

Good Luck Cobber

Edited by deej
  • Like 2

Me thinks the only reason many of those businesses in CM exist is because a spouse is sponsoring it (or making the actual money to pay for their lives).
I also think many use Corona as an excuse, as it was obvious that a lot were struggling way before this virus. Old city yesterday was really creepy quiet, even at just 6PM.

Anyway, happy I took the advice when I moved here first 9 years ago. Earn abroad, spend here. Would have gotten burned in any local business, for so many reasons and times. First it was the coup, then changing rules and opening hours for bars in CM (for years), then the visa crack down changing demographics 180 degrees, now this virus. Not to mention all other things like bribes, cheating people, difficulty finding long term hard working staff etc. Almost forgot: pollution.

Actually have seen nothing but more and more red flags being raised since 2014 in Thailand. 
But there is always new suckers guys, I just heard my friend sold her guesthouse to an Aussie who is new in town, poor guy.

Bright side of things: bad businesses will be gone, fewer good ones remain that also have enough customers (specially for bars thats nicer than having loads with just 2-3 customers in each one). As well proper adjustments in prices (for rentals, activities, drinks, food) both by Exchange rate and Local changes. Thailand actually needed this badly since years, now the day has finally come. Could be good news at the end.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 4/6/2020 at 5:16 AM, Gonzo the Face said:

Yes we do have a bit of a rep for our brekkys, especially our Superman or Chicken Fried Superman Brekkies.  Hope to see you soon to say Thank You for the compliment.

i hope you dont serve up those american brekkies with the hot dogs for sausage. i hate those.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, fhickson said:

i hope you dont serve up those american brekkies with the hot dogs for sausage. i hate those.

Don't you go posting dirty words like that ! ! !

Even folks with less than half a brain know the difference between a hot dog/frankfurter and Sausage.  We have SAUSAGE  both links or patty.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Don't you go posting dirty words like that ! ! !

Even folks with less than half a brain know the difference between a hot dog/frankfurter and Sausage.  We have SAUSAGE  both links or patty.

Well there is many places out there with less than half a brain then, the Thai version of western breakfast can get very interesting sometimes (7/11 ''bread'' with a fried egg, bacon as rubber, hotdog as sausage, burned beans, fake sugar orange juice and instant diarrhea coffee for 140B average).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

WHAT ???  I gotz to raise my prices ! !   I puts out de real ting and at a less price..... I gotta get out more ! ! !

No, more should have the real deal for max that price or even less, as it is easily doable. Those thai style breakfasts had huge profit margins all those years, one reason I do not feel too sorry about most restaurants and bars now. Isn't that different with certain prices for drinks (where they use 150B per bottle vodka but charge you 140B for it with red bull = 123 baht profit margin and even with Absolute, still a very fat profit margin).

That is why this all might be good, get rid of those fakers. Keep the good ones only.

Edited by ChaiyaTH