Expats in Thailand feeling the pinch (and pleasure) of lockdown

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Monomial said:

And what about the countless lives that will be taken due to severe stress and depression as a result of this economic evisceration?  How about those people who are committing suicide as they watch their lives destroyed?  Do you also agree that every life lost as a direct result of this lockdown is one too many, or don't those lives count?

It is nice to say every life taken is one too many, but the results of this lockdown will likely be much, much worse than the virus. End this closure of businesses. Wear a mask and use alcohol spray prodigiously. That is the optimal way forward and the only way that genuinely minimizes human casualties.

Exactly. And the blame is solely on the effects of the virus, which is dealing a bad hand to many more than those directly infected. Relax controls prematurely (your solution), and the infection rate would increase and cause even more suffering and misery. That's factual  - globally.

The only viable option is to reduce the risk of infection until such time as infection cases ease off, and trust that an antidote is produced, soon after. 

Sometimes we all have to accept that tough situations require tough measures that should be followed by us all. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Exactly. And the blame is solely on the effects of the virus, which is dealing a bad hand to many more than those directly infected. Relax controls prematurely (your solution), and the infection rate would increase and cause even more suffering and misery. That's factual  - globally.

The only viable option is to reduce the risk of infection until such time as infection cases ease off, and trust that an antidote is produced, soon after. 

Sometimes we all have to accept that tough situations require tough measures that should be followed by us all. 

No, i think you still don't get the full picture.

I guess you are retired, so you just stay at home and relax, but many millions are out of job with no money in the bank.

Perhaps if your check doesn't come next month, then you'll understand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Don't understand your post.... ??

What I decide to do is not up to me at the moment is it.. I'd like to be at home with my wife but I'm not allowed to travel !! 

And I'd like to be in on a disease free alternative planet being fed grapes by nubile mistresses, but that's not an option, so I self isolate instead - and thank Buddha that I'm infection free.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

No, i think you still don't get the full picture.

I guess you are retired, so you just stay at home and relax, but many millions are out of job with no money in the bank.

Perhaps if your check doesn't come next month, then you'll understand.

Yes I do get the picture, thanks very much. But It's not my decision to make on any lockdown or not - you need to lobby the government, not take out your angst on me.  

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

Yes I do get the picture, thanks very much. But It's not my decision to make on any lockdown or not - you need to lobby the government, not take out your angst on me.  

With respect, i am not angry at all, just discussing the issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Yes, but has the death rate from CV19 reached the monthly road kill yet? 

Your comparison is flawed. Many roads deaths could and should be prevented, whereas this virus cannot until a vaccine is produced. Also, I am just as despairing when these preventable deaths occur. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Your comparison is flawed. Many roads deaths could and should be prevented, whereas this virus cannot until a vaccine is produced. Also, I am just as despairing when these preventable deaths occur. 

No more flawed than your comment as many of the infections could have been avoided by appropriate preventative measures. 

Plus seems you missed irony. 

A few observations to make.

Did 'Snoop' actually interview people or did he make it up? 'No expat i talked to had problem getting eggs' well he certainly didn't ask people in my city! Eggs were unobtainable for one week and double priced the next before reverting to normality. Maybe they were diverted to Bangkok....

Cornish Carlos doesn't seem to understand how many are dying elsewhere in the world - maybe not many in Thailand - but using the comparison of road accidents, Covid-19 has killed 3 times as many people in the UK in the last 4 weeks as road accidents killed in the whole of 2018.... or, on average, more UK people die of Covid-19 every day than they did from conflict in WW2. Food for thought.

13 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

All hail the mighty Baht.  Even in times of turmoil, the currency rises--20 Satang in the last 24 hours.  BoT lowers interest rates twice--the Baht still rises.  Granted, western currencies have risen with the pandemic.  But the last 24 hours seems like the bad old days...

In KBank since I logged in this morning the GBP has gained 7 satang. That is about 12 hours.

On TransferWise it has gained 3 satang per GBP.

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

whereas this virus cannot until a vaccine is produced

You may want to research that a little further, unless you want to rely on Bill Gates saving you! good luck with that! Given his history of "virus"

39 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Covid-19 has killed 3 times as many people in the UK in the last 4 weeks as road accidents killed in the whole of 2018.... or, on average, more UK people die of Covid-19 every day than they did from conflict in WW2. Food for thought.

Its all over the UK media about how they are cooking the numbers, unless you still have faith in the MSM? then you are correct!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

Its all over the UK media about how they are cooking the numbers, unless you still have faith in the MSM? then you are correct!

Yes, they are actually about 25% higher....... not the only country doing this.

1 minute ago, rickudon said:

Yes, they are actually about 25% higher....... not the only country doing this.

Hers one from the US, obvious what they are doing!

Edited by CGW
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, plachon said:

not everybody is keen on a 24-hour curfew, because even though “the skies are bluer and the pungent smell of carbon monoxide has gone”, says Daisy, she’s hoping “life won’t come to a standstill”.

Oh dear, I hope Daisy does not lecture at university in a science subject. Even if it is "business studies" or something similar, I would have hoped that anyone who graduated from high school would have been taught that CO is colourless and odourless. ????

Didn't read about a lot of "pleasure" being generated by the lockdown.......????

Well she is a fillipino ????????????????????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

No more flawed than your comment as many of the infections could have been avoided by appropriate preventative measures. 

Plus seems you missed irony. 

What I'm saying is there's no current cure for coronavirus once infected, that leads to death for some people. In many of these cases where there are underlying health issues no amount of current preventative measures would have helped. We are fortunate that death rates are modest in comparison. 

To compare coronavirus with road accidents mortality rates or any other causes of death is really not the point.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, plachon said:

not everybody is keen on a 24-hour curfew, because even though “the skies are bluer and the pungent smell of carbon monoxide has gone”, says Daisy, she’s hoping “life won’t come to a standstill”.

Maybe for you but here in Chiang Mai  the air quality is still terrible. the sky a hazy grey. I would be happy with the 24 hour curfew if we have clean air.

Edited by akampa

On 4/6/2020 at 5:14 PM, snoop1130 said:

feeling the pinch (and pleasure

A long article revealing not much pleasure.  I have to sit in the house listening to my neighbour's badly-trained dog yap all DAY.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, essox essox said:

they would have NEVER thought of this. I know a guy who RENTS small house......owner LIVES IN SINGAPORE !!!

So that guy must be doing his TM30 notifications as 'possessor' of the rental condo (only requires a scan of the rental agreement and his scanned passport ID page to register on the IO TM30 website).

In his case I would contact the owner and ask him to e-mail a statement that he is living in Singapore and hence cannot accompany his tenant to the immigration office.

With such a statement (and having done his TM30) the immigration officer will for sure accept 'the reality' of that situation.  And in case the officer handling his application for the emergency extension is of the thick-headed stubborn kind, the guy should firmly but politely request to talk to the officer in charge and/or call the 1178 IO Helpline to resolve the situation.

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So that guy must be doing his TM30 notifications as 'possessor' of the rental condo (only requires a scan of the rental agreement and his scanned passport ID page to register on the IO TM30 website).

In his case I would contact the owner and ask him to e-mail a statement that he is living in Singapore and hence cannot accompany his tenant to the immigration office.

With such a statement (and having done his TM30) the immigration officer will for sure accept 'the reality' of that situation.  And in case the officer handling his application for the emergency extension is of the thick-headed stubborn kind, the guy should firmly but politely request to talk to the officer in charge and/or call the 1178 IO Helpline to resolve the situation.

it is up to him......he should read about what is going on and take any action HE needs to do.....

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Feeling the pinch? No just like normal for me.

Only good thing to come out of this situation is, I have started making my own bread.

Results so far.... Its damn good stuff, made some mango jam, had some on my own freshly baked bread, delicious.

So i am keeping busy, Thai visa, taking care of my animals, making bread /jam, no time to get bored.

can only mek if one has the ingrediants !!!

Just now, essox essox said:

can only mek if one has the ingrediants !!!

Yes you are correct, but as i am organized, plenty of supplies in.

A few weeks ago when things were looking like getting serious, wife was given a BIG shopping list.

If a total lock down comes, we are fully prepared, stocked up, with all we need.

Just now, colinneil said:

Yes you are correct, but as i am organized, plenty of supplies in.

A few weeks ago when things were looking like getting serious, wife was given a BIG shopping list.

If a total lock down comes, we are fully prepared, stocked up, with all we need.

me similar, have 3 freezers full of grub.....but can not get a pig inside one.....OINK OINK !!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

I have started making my own bread.

Don't know why, but I read that as an innuendo that your Mrs actually got it to rise !!!

It's this lock down, sorry fella... My brain is addled.... Hope I'm not thinking about that too long ??/ 

• Haha 1