Anybody got it yet??

patongphil

I am currently in America, in the very northwest corner, just near where the virus first started here.  We are supposed to be on lock down but as I make a needed foray to shop for food it looks like business as usual to me.  In the last two days or so I see more masks, at least among the elderly, and people in grocery stores are generally aware of and respectful of physical distancing.  Outside the stores on the street, gas stations etc.  not so much.  Just a hunch but based on what I see this thing is not even really rolling here yet.   

came back from Vietnam in Late Jan also, it was also starting to kick off about the COVID. My lad had been admitted to hospital (8 yo), 40 deg fever, sat him on his ass, collapsed, rushed to hospital etc. all in 24 hrs he went downhill at a fast rate of knots. I went straight to hospital after arriving back. I took the opportunity to look at his chart. Had written "influenza detected" and the line under neath "influenza New Detected"....2 days later on was sat on my ass, hot and cold fevers, extreme muscle pain, headache, after 1-2 days went to the hospital as was in a bad way...given a bucket load of drugs..hand full a day just to function...came good after 48 hours...soldiering on. I reckon the young fella got a dose then i got maybe mild symptoms from him. I didn't have a cough..well not dry cough like they say but wasn't feeling the best. But I dont take a lot medicines and ride most storms out with flues and colds so hopefully my immune system is where it needs to be. I got that other one on 2012 or around then, thought I was going to die..lungs were just full of <deleted> and couldnt breath..pulled through that one..It was real bad what ever I caught.Im thinking this COVID is probably worse though.

• Like 1

Just heard from a friend that if you have a hard time smelling, and no taste sensation, there is a strong possibility you Have the virus.  This information comes from one of the guys we trained with and was an MMA UFC fighter, who is now fighting on the Bellator circuit.  He is in Brazil with his family who all have it now as well.  His wife was the first one to get the virus, and she complained of massive headaches, had a fever, and the chills, then lost her sense of smell and taste.  He told our mutual acquaintance that at first they joked about it, but then he realized she was serious, there children have also tested positive.  Hoping to hear back on a prognosis, he says he has no strength at all....now I guess I have a new baseline of possible symptoms.  I had not heard of the smell and taste issue....

I had a weird cold four weeks ago after passing through Suvarnabhabi on my way back from Australia. The most unusual symptom I noticed at the time was losing my sense of smell for two days. I had never experienced that before. Apart from that i had a headache, vague sore throat that came and went and persistent tiredness. But I never had a cough.

I read a few weeks ago that loss of smell could be a symptom of Covid 19. But then I read elsewhere that loss of smell is sometimes a flu symptom (occurring when you have thrown off the virus, but the lingering inflammation in the nasal passages blocks up the smell receptors).

But it could be all imagination. After all, when sitting next to someone with a cough we all start imagining the germs/viruses invading and start to feel symptoms developing. But then the person moves away and we forget all about it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, patongphil said:

Surely with all the many TVF members from all over the world someone has been found positive for Covid 19 by now?

Or at least know someone directly who has.

I dont know anyone who has 'it', I dont know anyone who knows anyone who has it, including students from Milan and other parts of Italy, Spain, Poland, Latvia, Germany, China, Japan. But Boris Johnson says he has it along with several other politicians and celebrities, so it must be true as politicians and the media wouldn't lie to us ... would they? I mean, they never have in the past have they. But then we did have CBS News showing footage of a hospital scene saying it was a hospital in NY which was drowning in dead bodies, the exact same footage had already been used by Italian News agencies in describing the horrific situation in an Italian hospital.

While the news is telling us all the hospitals are overwhelmed real people are going to these hospitals and filming the empty wards, car parks, and generally a total lack of activity as anyone who isn't CV and critically ill are told not to come. Someone over in the UK just got a 9 month prison sentence for filming an empty hospital and uploading to youtube. I think the charge was 'public disturbance'

Edited by 7fish
clarification

6 minutes ago, 7fish said:

Someone over in the UK just got a 9 month prison sentence for filming an empty hospital and uploading to youtube. I think the charge was 'public disturbance'

Is that the same guy that was jailed for 3 months?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

a cough and blocked ears isn't flu

It can very well be.  It can be mild or carried with no symptoms.  I believe this is mild in most cases but can  be severe  with the sick or elderly having underlying conditions.  It is very contagious which is why the numbers can be high but the number of recovering is also very high.  Because it is so contagious it is better to save your economy and let it work its way through the population without lockdowns imho.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, losworld said:

is very contagious which is why the numbers can be high but the number of recovering is also very high.  Because it is so contagious it is better to save your economy and let it work its way through the population without lockdowns imho.

But what if the immunity only lasts a few months and it starts going round again?

32 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

But what if the immunity only lasts a few months and it starts going round again?

It will be going around for a long time with or without lockdowns unless you put everyone on the planet in their own cave for a few months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lifeon said:

came back from Vietnam in Late Jan also, it was also starting to kick off about the COVID. My lad had been admitted to hospital (8 yo), 40 deg fever, sat him on his ass, collapsed, rushed to hospital etc. all in 24 hrs he went downhill at a fast rate of knots. I went straight to hospital after arriving back. I took the opportunity to look at his chart. Had written "influenza detected" and the line under neath "influenza New Detected"....2 days later on was sat on my ass, hot and cold fevers, extreme muscle pain, headache, after 1-2 days went to the hospital as was in a bad way...given a bucket load of drugs..hand full a day just to function...came good after 48 hours...soldiering on. I reckon the young fella got a dose then i got maybe mild symptoms from him. I didn't have a cough..well not dry cough like they say but wasn't feeling the best. But I dont take a lot medicines and ride most storms out with flues and colds so hopefully my immune system is where it needs to be. I got that other one on 2012 or around then, thought I was going to die..lungs were just full of <deleted> and couldnt breath..pulled through that one..It was real bad what ever I caught.Im thinking this COVID is probably worse though.

If your chart saud positive for influenza then your blood test shows you had contracted the influenza virus and this is what you had.

I fled my teaching job in China in January and fled to Thailand where I stayed for 3 weeks. Since then I've had a lingering cough which started in Bangkok. I thought it was due to the PM 2.5's but maybe it was covid. Who knows.

All I know is Suvunmarmi and Heathrow gave next to zero <deleted> when I passed through them earlier in the year. Suvunmarmi had a heat sensor and a person pleading with the crowds to walk past it one at a time. Heathrow had some warning posters.

I think i had it in Jan also, after a visit to rayong, very hard to breath, coughing, temp 38, was on oxygen at home after about 4/5 days all ok. at the time i took some antihistamine thinking it could be an allergy, also the brown cough mixture, both helped with sleep. 

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Many of us otherwise healthy young (in mind) expats might have caught it, and come over it, without knowing...????

Hope so. That means we wont die if we go close to someone that has it. I was sick late last year. Hope it was Corona and not a flu.

55 minutes ago, Dutyfirst said:

If your chart saud positive for influenza then your blood test shows you had contracted the influenza virus and this is what you had.

I wasn't tested...kind of happy not to be. But that was what was written on the young fellas chart. They weren't testing for COVID at that stage in Thailand I think. He did have a blood test though hence the influenza reference on his chart.

3 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Flu is a virus

yes it is, lool.

that was dumb.

i feel its better to get this virus, because after you finish 3 week quarantine you will be immune and cant affect anyone.

You also not fear the virus and can get along with your life sooner.

but only if you are young and healthy enough. if i had severe asthma or heart conditions then it might be fatal

and only if you can live by yourself.

Edited by snapbkk
added condition
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never get the flu.

Please share your secret, I don't have COVID-19 ( i hope) bunkered down in my Mubaan for weeks now but I am very susceptible to catching colds and the flu normally.

If you have such high resistance to influenza I would definitely be interested to know if your do anything different to achieve this.  

17 minutes ago, berrec said:

Please share your secret, I don't have COVID-19 ( i hope) bunkered down in my Mubaan for weeks now but I am very susceptible to catching colds and the flu normally.

If you have such high resistance to influenza I would definitely be interested to know if your do anything different to achieve this.  

I believe the constant heavy drinking and smoking protects me from that sort of thing.

Edited by BritManToo

38 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Dont believe u never get the flu

I believe him because I only remember getting it once about 20 years ago. Never had a flu shot. Grew up outside playing in the dirt, maybe that's why.

I do get colds about twice a year, just plugged nose and coughs for a few days.

Retired to Thailand January 26th, last leg of flight from Korea. Around Feb 21st had 2 to 3 days of congested lungs. Didn't eat and hurt to smoke for those 2 days, so I didn't, and slept sitting up on the edge of the bed because my lungs would fill up with phlegm if I laid down. But the number of days from my flight doesn't fit, so probably just bronchitis.

Edited by frantick
Edit

7 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Hard to believe

No flu in 70 yrs

People tell me with flu you are laid up for a week, a fever aches and pains and nope i have escaped this all my life, lets hope it continues, also never had a flu jab, had a one time pneumonia jab 2 years ago.

4 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Hope so. That means we wont die if we go close to someone that has it. I was sick late last year. Hope it was Corona and not a flu.

Last year I'm afraid it was flu, unless you've been visiting Wuhan in China in December, and got sick thereafter.