Claire Danes responds to claims that Homeland is racist: ‘It’s inherently problematic’

snoop1130

Claire Danes responds to claims that Homeland is racist: ‘It’s inherently problematic’

By Ellie Harrison

jty.jpg

Claire Danes has responded to claims that Homeland is “racist” and “Islamophobic”, as the political thriller reaches the end of its eighth and final series.

Homeland has had a mixed reception since it launched in 2011. While its first series was a critical triumph, gained fans including Barack Obama and won many Emmy awards, the show has also been accused of being “bigoted”.

Writer and filmmaker Laura Durkay wrote in the Washington Post in 2014: “Since its first episode, Homeland has churned out Islamophobic stereotypes as if its writers were getting paid by the cliche.”

The following year, Arab graffiti artists who had been hired by producers to make a Syrian refugee camp look more authentic, secretly wrote: “Homeland is racist.” No one noticed until the episode was broadcast.

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/claire-danes-response-homeland-racism-islamophobia-a9448036.html

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Writer and filmmaker Laura Durkay wrote in the Washington Post in 2014: “Since its first episode, Homeland has churned out Islamophobic stereotypes as if its writers were getting paid by the cliche.”

We all know that Israelis make great terrorists.  Oh, no proof of that.

Christians kill people worldwide.  Oh, no proof of that.

Ok, so let's produce a show called Homeland.  Who could we use as the protagonists?  I wonder?

Jews?  Nah.

Italians? Hardly.

Afghans? Maybe, but too politically incorrect.  

Chinese?  Maybe, they do harvest organs of their prisoners and political dissidents but we can't do a show on that.  The Basketball players have proven that this causes loss of money to them, and loss of face to the Chinese.

So who do we make the story about?  American Indians?  Nah, too many Westerns on YouTube as it is, so how do we do it?  

Maybe we just bite the bullet and write about Pakistanis and Afghans.  Yeah, the left won't like it, but what the hell, let's give it a try.  I'm sure someone will complain.  So what?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Chrysaora said:

Is it possible, that it may be racist to not know that it is racist?

I don't take this topic seriously. That said it's been a very topical show usually tracking current events closely so I don't know if I'd suggest that people start with season one at this point. 

I will miss the crazy blond lady! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, donnacha said:

A terrific show. Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin are delivering seminal performances. Eight seasons in, with one or two ropey seasons along the way, it is currently must-see TV. It depicts the way different countries and groups interact with laudable realism. To depict Jihadis and the Muslim world in a way that would not be considered "racist" by the new authoritarian left would require a complete break from reality. There are some genuinely awful people in the world.

The people attacking Homeland have always been the same ones who reflexively attack anything that does not conform precisely to their political bias. Note that attacks from the left will very often attack a female rather than a male target.

Ironically, the show has taken a hard-left turn over the past few seasons, fulfilling all the left's stereotypes and mischaracterizations of the conservative majority of Americans, the Republican party, and America's response to 9/11. If you can see past your immediate triggers, it is obvious that the entire premise of the show has been critical of America from the start.

Of course, the left don't notice or give the show credit for that. They will not be happy until the show comes right out and says that all Jews are evil, all Muslims are blameless, and the American intelligence and military apparatus should be immediately stood down and the money re-allocated to free gender change surgery for all school age children.

Nailed every point.  Agenda driven factions looking for an excuse to be offended.

The Israeli show, "Prisoner of War", on which "Homeland" is based, is also very good if you don't mind subtitles.

• Thanks 1

If it is politically incorrect, and causes some offense, it probably has some real content. This world has become way too soft, there are far too many people who seem to devote their lives to getting offended, and giving other people a hard time over their own very thin skin, and being PC makes nations and people weak. There are areas where it is necessary to show some respect. But face it. Parts of the Arab world have a real PR issue, and most Imans, Clerics, heads of state and others of influence have done very little to dispel these notions. 

Probably just a few are making these claims. Best to just ignore them. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

I wonder how many are actually claiming it’s racist. Two people make the claim and it’s now globally accused of it. Give me a break.

Yeah I totally agree. It feels like an artificial issue. There are more than enough real issues in the world to really worry about. 

Edited by Jingthing

This is one of the big differences between Democrats and Republicans: the Liberals attack each other as if they're trying to accumulate points (what Obama referred to as the circular firing squad), trying to attain the even higher moral ground, whereas when a Conservative comes up with koo-koo stuff his comrades will usually support it, or perhaps remain mum at the worst unless they have a personal interest. 

But you should look at the Liberal Hero making the accusations.  My favorite is the (white) guy who denounced Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars (a goofy CGI character) as a racist stereotype mocking American Black folks.  Umm, it is YOU who are saying this is what Black folks act like, buddy!

Homeland is mostly about fighting jihadis, Isis-types etc.  What the hell do they expect?  But the series did make a few attempts, e.g. there was a hijab-wearing CIA analyst of Iranian descent. 

There was a scene in an early episode where they are looking for potential terrorists that looked Middle Eastern, and one of the crew (it may have been Max) said "isn't that racial profiling?"  Somebody called him an <deleted> idiot for it (it may have been Saul, or the other surveillance guy from the first few seasons).

I think they should continue the show with a next generation.  They could bring back Brody's teenage daughter, who now works for the agency after a few dark years of drug addiction etc.  And of course the Brazilian actress who played her mother.

Edited by bendejo

16 hours ago, Chrysaora said:

We all know that Israelis make great terrorists.  Oh, no proof of that.

Christians kill people worldwide.  Oh, no proof of that.

Ok, so let's produce a show called Homeland.  Who could we use as the protagonists?  I wonder?

Jews?  Nah.

Italians? Hardly.

Afghans? Maybe, but too politically incorrect.  

Chinese?  Maybe, they do harvest organs of their prisoners and political dissidents but we can't do a show on that.  The Basketball players have proven that this causes loss of money to them, and loss of face to the Chinese.

So who do we make the story about?  American Indians?  Nah, too many Westerns on YouTube as it is, so how do we do it?  

Maybe we just bite the bullet and write about Pakistanis and Afghans.  Yeah, the left won't like it, but what the hell, let's give it a try.  I'm sure someone will complain.  So what?

Makes a refreshing change from the cringingly politically-correct, multiculturalist, diversity-embracing cr-p churned out by British television companies for home consumption.

The commercials are arguably even worse. Watching them, you could be fooled into thinking the UK was the land of entirely mixed marriages and extended families of every colour of the rainbow.

Mind you, give it a decade or two. . . 

• Like 1

Again, I don't actually believe that show is racist. I think its quite well balanced actually, indeed with an obvious pro-peace, anti-war bias but within a context of realism. Anyway, this has been an incredibly rich role for Claire Danes. It's hard to imagine her in any other role.

Edited by Jingthing

How can a television show be racist?  Perhaps the writers should go back to school to learn how to properly write English sentences. 

Are the writers racist?  Why don't they make the claim, if they believe it is true?  Most people today do not know what the word racist means, because they use it interchangeably with the words prejudice and bigotry.  

They should all go back to journalism school, assuming they went there at all.

I take a zero tolerance to racism and I also think that its a tremendous show. It was Obama's favourite TV show. I haven't seen the latest series has I wait for it to finished and then I'll binge watch it. Had this show had been made in the 70s or 80s then it would have had very different protaganists but it is responding to the current world situation and means some people won't like it.

1 hour ago, tso310 said:

I take a zero tolerance to racism and I also think that its a tremendous show. It was Obama's favourite TV show. I haven't seen the latest series has I wait for it to finished and then I'll binge watch it. Had this show had been made in the 70s or 80s then it would have had very different protaganists but it is responding to the current world situation and means some people won't like it.

Yeah but as I said before it's been quite current. I can't imagine that it would be as good to start watching it now from season one. Compared to a series like the Sopranos that I think would still work that way.

23 hours ago, Chrysaora said:

Is it possible, that it may be racist to not know that it is racist?

Or that it may be racist to accuse the great show of being racist. I think it goes overboard in trying not to be.