If cannot fly out to convert to Non-O retirement

I live in BKK and hold US passport with O-A based on retirement and multiple re-entry permit. My stay expires in July. I was planning to convert to Non-O to avoid local insurance requirement.

My question is: If current situation continues and I can’t go out and return Visa Exempt (or apply at overseas consulate for Non-O), is my only option to extend the O-A by buying the lowest price qualifying insurance? If so, would it make sense to not get any re-entry permit with that extension, fly overseas when possible shortly after, return Visa Exempt to invalidate the O-A, and then apply for Non-O at CW?  (I assume I would not be able to apply at overseas consulate since I would be holding a valid Non O-A extension, correct?) Then at least I wouldn't need the local insurance the following year.

Related questions: When applying for Non-O at CW, does the 800,000 need to be in local bank for 2-3 months (or any period) before application, like with O-A? Clause 5.3 of the Immigration requirements for Non-O requires “evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand.” What kinds of evidence are accepted? “Foreign currency” does not mean it has to be dollars transferred and deposited into a local dollar account, but any conversion into baht, correct?

Please excuse if these questions have already been answered here. I did my best to check.

Thanks for any advice.

38 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

ubonjoe:  "If you still cannot travel to a nearby country when your current entry ends you could apply for a special 30 day extension since you would not qualify for the normal extension."

How many times can you apply for the special 30 day extension?

Until the virus crisis is over or you can leave the country.

@peterdwje2and @rodknock

>> I PM-ed the both of you an updated (and expanded) version of the guideline document containing all details/options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads-up.  I don't believe Thai Embassy or consulates in the U.S. will issue Non-O for purpose of retirement.  Better to come back visa exempt to do conversion in Thailand, I think.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Just a heads-up.  I don't believe Thai Embassy or consulates in the U.S. will issue Non-O for purpose of retirement.  Better to come back visa exempt to do conversion in Thailand, I think.

That is correct.

But the OP's plan is to leave and re-enter visa exempt or he could get a single entry non-o visa at some nearby embassies or consulates after the borders open.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you still cannot travel to a nearby country when your current entry ends you could apply for a special 30 day extension since you would not qualify for the normal extension.

You can transfer the the equivalent of 800k baht into a Thai bank and the get proof of the international transfer from your bank.

To apply for a non immigrant visa (category O) visa the 800k baht only has to be in the bank when your apply for it. The 2 month is not required until you apply for the one year extension of stay.

Sorry, what did you mean by "the normal extension"? The extension I should request is called "special 30-day extension" and where would I find the application form and requirements? How many days before my stay expires should I apply? What should I state as reason for extension? Won't CW ask why not just extend O-A stay, which does not require flying out?  Thank you.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can transfer the the equivalent of 800k baht into a Thai bank and the get proof of the international transfer from your bank.

Is there a form for the Thai bank to declare this? Or I just tell them to draft a note addressed to Immigration (I'm not sure they would do)?  

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

@peterdwje2and @rodknock

>> I PM-ed the both of you an updated (and expanded) version of the guideline document containing all details/options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Thank you for your help.

11 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

Is there a form for the Thai bank to declare this? Or I just tell them to draft a note addressed to Immigration (I'm not sure they would do)?  

I think the bank will know what is needed and can print it out for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterdwje2 said:

I did this last week, and Kasikorn issued a "credit advice" sheet (no seal or signature) showing the financial institution in the US where my transfer originated, the bank that it passed through, the date and time it arrived at K-Bank, the amount in USD and the exchange rate used to convert it, the fees that were charged on arrival, and the final net amount in THB credited to my account. There was no charge for the letter, and it was accepted by Immigration at CW in support of my application for a Non-O on the basis of retirement.

On a separate issue, though, be advised that I was inexplicably asked for my last three rent receipts, even though I had brought my rental contract as specified on their checklist - "to prove that you don't really live in Pattaya". That wasn't listed anywhere, and I've reported the same address around 40 times on TM-6, TM-7, TM-8, and TM-30 forms over the past four years, but what can you do... The saving grace is that the officer (who was very friendly and upbeat) allowed me to email the documents that afternoon rather than making me bring them in person. I have to go back for the "result" of the application next week; hopefully there won't be a problem.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I did this last week, and Kasikorn issued a "credit advice" sheet (no seal or signature) showing the financial institution in the US where my transfer originated, the bank that it passed through, the date and time it arrived at K-Bank, the amount in USD and the exchange rate used to convert it, the fees that were charged on arrival, and the final net amount in THB credited to my account. There was no charge for the letter, and it was accepted by Immigration at CW in support of my application for a Non-O on the basis of retirement.

Was this a form the bank filled out or simply a statement they drafted? How long did it take to get it? By the way, by any chance were you converting from O-A to O, or? Thanks.

1 minute ago, peterdwje2 said:

Was this a form the bank filled out or simply a statement they drafted? How long did it take to get it? By the way, by any chance were you converting from O-A to O, or? Thanks.

It was just an automatically generated record printed out from their computer system, with nothing added, and it only took about two minutes to get at the branch where I keep my account. They explained that the date at the top would always be the date of the transfer, regardless of when the form was printed out. And for K-Bank, at least, the form was free if requested within (I believe) 150 days of the transfer; after that, there would be a 500 baht charge.

Technically I'm converting from a 30 day visa exempt, but I left the country and came back on the exempt in order to dump the OA status that I've had for the past five years and start over with an O. I have comprehensive, unlimited insurance for which my former employer pays 70% of the premiums, so I had zero desire to buy unnecessary Thai insurance. (The joke was almost on me, though, since I nearly got caught out by the rapidly increasing virus-related travel restrictions - the airline on which I was ticketed stopped flying the day I was supposed to come back, and I returned on a different carrier only two days before I would have been definitively locked out.)

I was in the same situation as I wanted to end my O-A extension and start again with an O. But unfortunately, I had to wait April 5 as I had a multiple re-entry that kept my extension valid until the end.

As the situation developed I realised that I could not cross any border or fly anywhere without having problems going out of Thailand and in again.

I decided to buy the necessary insurance and renew for another year BUT this time no re-entry permit so in the next 12 months I will be able to change for an O  when the situation permit travel crossing the borders.

I was not happy because of the extra cost and because I already have a very good local insurance but no out-patient coverage.

Good luck

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, khunjeff said:

On a separate issue, though, be advised that I was inexplicably asked for my last three rent receipts, even though I had brought my rental contract as specified on their checklist - "to prove that you don't really live in Pattaya". That wasn't listed anywhere, and I've reported the same address around 40 times on TM-6, TM-7, TM-8, and TM-30 forms over the past four years, but what can you do... 

You will find each office has their owns rules, what one office requires another might not. Like everything in Thailand, you roll the dice! 

13 hours ago, cnx355 said:

I decided to buy the necessary insurance and renew for another year BUT this time no re-entry permit so in the next 12 months I will be able to change for an O  when the situation permit travel crossing the borders.

I was not happy because of the extra cost and because I already have a very good local insurance but no out-patient coverage.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Hope that you did at least opt for the dead-cheapest thai IO-approved health-insurance (LMG Insurance annual premium being 6.000 - 11.700 THB in the 50 - 70 age bracket).

And agree that in your situation - already having good insurance coverage - that switching to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa is indicated, but you have 1 year now to choose the moment that it is convenient for you to do so (e.g. when doing a trip abroad).

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document addressing all options/details on how to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  On 4/6/2020 at 7:57 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you still cannot travel to a nearby country when your current entry ends you could apply for a special 30 day extension since you would not qualify for the normal extension.

Earlier in this thread, I asked the question below, re the above, but no one responded so may I try again as would really like to know. Has anyone gotten this special extension and can detail the process?

---

---

Sorry, what did you mean by "the normal extension"? The extension I should request is called "special 30-day extension" and where would I find the application form and requirements? How many days before my stay expires should I apply? What should I state as reason for extension? Won't CW ask why not just extend O-A stay, which does not require flying out?  Thank you.

8 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

Earlier in this thread, I asked the question below, re the above, but no one responded so may I try again as would really like to know. Has anyone gotten this special extension and can detail the process?

Things have changed since I wrote that post.

You can stay in the country until the emergency is over now. No need to apply for any extension.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Things have changed since I wrote that post.

You can stay in the country until the emergency is over now. No need to apply for any extension.

@peterdwje2

I understand that poster is presently staying in Thailand on a 1-year extension of his Non Imm O-A Visa, but that he intended not to re-apply for a new 1-year extension as he wants to switch to a different type Visa (that does not require the thai IO-approved health-insurance).

1 - As he is on a long-stay extension of a Non Imm O Visa, the amnesty announcement is not applicable for him, and so he needs to visit his local IO before his present permission to stay expires

2 - He could probably apply for an emergency extension of 30-days, as he is not able to leave the country which is necessary if he wants to switch to another Visa category.

But as I understand this is a different type extension than the covid-19 extension, and poster is enquiring about the requirements/options for doing this.

NOTE > As it is not clear how long it will take before the borders open again, poster might consider 'biting the bullet' and subscribe to the dead-cheapest thai IO-approved health-insurance so to be able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay on the basis of his Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.  LMG Insurance does provide such thai IO-approved health-insurance for the age-range of 50 to 75 for an annual premium of 6.000 THB to 11.700 THB.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

1 - As he is on a long-stay extension of a Non Imm O Visa, the amnesty announcement is not applicable for him, and so he needs to visit his local IO before his present permission to stay expires

That is really a grey area. If a person planned on applying for an extension I would not suggest not to do it.

In his case it could be done since he would not qualify for an extension without financial proof or insurance.

He essentially stuck in the country so he qualify under the ministerial order.

Also getting a special extension requires a letter from his embassy and most have stopped issuing them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

LMG Insurance does provide such thai IO-approved health-insurance for the age-range of 50 to 75 for an annual premium of 6.000 THB to 11.700 THB.

Is a physical required? If so, hopefully not an all-day, full up variety......?

Now, assuming I can get this insurance, can I cancel it at any time, like, right after I get my retirement extension?

I have used Transferwise to bring in my 800k. In my bank book that shows as a standard transfer in, not international. Will immigration accept a printout of my TW transaction? Perhaps backed by my foreign bank statement showing the withdrawal?

31 minutes ago, beddhist said:

I have used Transferwise to bring in my 800k. In my bank book that shows as a standard transfer in, not international. Will immigration accept a printout of my TW transaction? Perhaps backed by my foreign bank statement showing the withdrawal?

The bank should be able to provide credit advises that show they came in from abroad. Also you can download and print out the receipt for proof it was sent from abroad on the transferwise site.

I assume you plan on applying for a non immigrant visa at immigration not a extension of stay. For a extension application proof it came from abroad is not required.

• Like 1

Thanks, Joe. I have permission to stay until July on my expired O-A. I was planning to travel out, come back on visa-exempt and then convert to non-O, to avoid insurance, like everybody else. Whether I can travel in July remains to be seen.

12 hours ago, JimGant said:

Is a physical required? If so, hopefully not an all-day, full up variety......?

Now, assuming I can get this insurance, can I cancel it at any time, like, right after I get my retirement extension?

1 - I don't know whether an actual physical is required to subscribe to the LMG thai IO-approved Health-Insurance policy.  When you apply on-line you have to fill in an extensive checklist to determine whether you have any pre-existing conditions, so I presume that an actual physical examination will not be required. 

The actual content of the policy is as good as worthless and you will not make use of it anyway, but will only use it as your 'entry-ticket' to meet the health-insurance requirement for your 1-year O-A retirement extension.  Since you are only interested in the 'paper', of course you should NOT tick any illnesses/conditions as that will probably result in them not accepting you.

2 - Cancelling the policy is always possible.  You should do that within the time the insurer provides to cancel continuation of the 1-year coverage for the next period.  Within 1 year from now for sure the borders will be open again, allowing you to exit/re-enter Thailand and apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension which does not require the mandatory IO-approved health-insurance.

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The actual content of the policy is as good as worthless and you will not make use of it anyway, but will only use it as your 'entry-ticket' to meet the health-insurance requirement for your 1-year O-A retirement extension.

Definitely so many conditions proscribed that I can't see how I'd ever get them to pay anything. But, yeah, think I'll check the high cholesterol box, just so it doesn't look like I'm completely disease free. And, again, I don't want it for actual insurance coverage -- just to be able to extend the O-A one more time.

They're one of the few that accept old farts -- PCL being another, but a more expensive, competitor.

If you initially apply before turning 76, you can renew up to 99 (ha, ha). And the premium for a 40/400k policy, with a 200k deductible, is 15,800 for a 75 year old (which I am). Actually, why couldn't they make the deductible 440k----- (Which leads to the question -- how much deductible will the Thais accept, before they realize you actually have no realistic insurance coverage at all....)

And, my reason for cancelling this worthless insurance as soon as Immigration gives me my new extension -- because my all-encompassing, 5 zillion$ coverage Tricare policy demands that I file with LMG first, then sort all that out before filing with Tricare. Nope. If I can cancel the LMG policy soonest, even with an EMS letter saying "cancel", I think I would be on solid ground to file first thereafter with Tricare.

Anyway, had not realized there were some premiums in the low 5-figure range for 75-year olds; and would make the alternative goat ropes -- Kor Ror 22 paperwork, embassy visits, amphur visits; border out and ins, should the border open; or a trip to HCMC, which albeit probably interesting, is not high on my bucket list. So, 16000 baht for a quack insurance policy -- sounds like a viable alternative (especially when I was even investigating the 500,000 baht Elite Visa). So, just pay the crooked TGIA, and move on to the next year -- and whatever interesting hurdles that may present.