BANGKOK
peterdwje2

If cannot fly out to convert to Non-O retirement

I live in BKK and hold US passport with O-A based on retirement and multiple re-entry permit. My stay expires in July. I was planning to convert to Non-O to avoid local insurance requirement.

My question is: If current situation continues and I can’t go out and return Visa Exempt (or apply at overseas consulate for Non-O), is my only option to extend the O-A by buying the lowest price qualifying insurance? If so, would it make sense to not get any re-entry permit with that extension, fly overseas when possible shortly after, return Visa Exempt to invalidate the O-A, and then apply for Non-O at CW?  (I assume I would not be able to apply at overseas consulate since I would be holding a valid Non O-A extension, correct?) Then at least I wouldn't need the local insurance the following year.

Related questions: When applying for Non-O at CW, does the 800,000 need to be in local bank for 2-3 months (or any period) before application, like with O-A? Clause 5.3 of the Immigration requirements for Non-O requires “evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand.” What kinds of evidence are accepted? “Foreign currency” does not mean it has to be dollars transferred and deposited into a local dollar account, but any conversion into baht, correct?

Please excuse if these questions have already been answered here. I did my best to check.

Thanks for any advice.

ubonjoe:  "If you still cannot travel to a nearby country when your current entry ends you could apply for a special 30 day extension since you would not qualify for the normal extension."

How many times can you apply for the special 30 day extension?

38 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

ubonjoe:  "If you still cannot travel to a nearby country when your current entry ends you could apply for a special 30 day extension since you would not qualify for the normal extension."

How many times can you apply for the special 30 day extension?

Until the virus crisis is over or you can leave the country.

thanks for the question.

am in same boat extention expires in july.

so, special extention for 30 days.

@peterdwje2and @rodknock

>> I PM-ed the both of you an updated (and expanded) version of the guideline document containing all details/options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads-up.  I don't believe Thai Embassy or consulates in the U.S. will issue Non-O for purpose of retirement.  Better to come back visa exempt to do conversion in Thailand, I think.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Just a heads-up.  I don't believe Thai Embassy or consulates in the U.S. will issue Non-O for purpose of retirement.  Better to come back visa exempt to do conversion in Thailand, I think.

That is correct.

But the OP's plan is to leave and re-enter visa exempt or he could get a single entry non-o visa at some nearby embassies or consulates after the borders open.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you still cannot travel to a nearby country when your current entry ends you could apply for a special 30 day extension since you would not qualify for the normal extension.

You can transfer the the equivalent of 800k baht into a Thai bank and the get proof of the international transfer from your bank.

To apply for a non immigrant visa (category O) visa the 800k baht only has to be in the bank when your apply for it. The 2 month is not required until you apply for the one year extension of stay.

Sorry, what did you mean by "the normal extension"? The extension I should request is called "special 30-day extension" and where would I find the application form and requirements? How many days before my stay expires should I apply? What should I state as reason for extension? Won't CW ask why not just extend O-A stay, which does not require flying out?  Thank you.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can transfer the the equivalent of 800k baht into a Thai bank and the get proof of the international transfer from your bank.

Is there a form for the Thai bank to declare this? Or I just tell them to draft a note addressed to Immigration (I'm not sure they would do)?  

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

@peterdwje2and @rodknock

>> I PM-ed the both of you an updated (and expanded) version of the guideline document containing all details/options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Thank you for your help.

11 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

Is there a form for the Thai bank to declare this? Or I just tell them to draft a note addressed to Immigration (I'm not sure they would do)?  

I think the bank will know what is needed and can print it out for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterdwje2 said:

I did this last week, and Kasikorn issued a "credit advice" sheet (no seal or signature) showing the financial institution in the US where my transfer originated, the bank that it passed through, the date and time it arrived at K-Bank, the amount in USD and the exchange rate used to convert it, the fees that were charged on arrival, and the final net amount in THB credited to my account. There was no charge for the letter, and it was accepted by Immigration at CW in support of my application for a Non-O on the basis of retirement.

On a separate issue, though, be advised that I was inexplicably asked for my last three rent receipts, even though I had brought my rental contract as specified on their checklist - "to prove that you don't really live in Pattaya". That wasn't listed anywhere, and I've reported the same address around 40 times on TM-6, TM-7, TM-8, and TM-30 forms over the past four years, but what can you do... The saving grace is that the officer (who was very friendly and upbeat) allowed me to email the documents that afternoon rather than making me bring them in person. I have to go back for the "result" of the application next week; hopefully there won't be a problem.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I did this last week, and Kasikorn issued a "credit advice" sheet (no seal or signature) showing the financial institution in the US where my transfer originated, the bank that it passed through, the date and time it arrived at K-Bank, the amount in USD and the exchange rate used to convert it, the fees that were charged on arrival, and the final net amount in THB credited to my account. There was no charge for the letter, and it was accepted by Immigration at CW in support of my application for a Non-O on the basis of retirement.

Was this a form the bank filled out or simply a statement they drafted? How long did it take to get it? By the way, by any chance were you converting from O-A to O, or? Thanks.