Australian citizenship by descent

Hi guys,
Both of my parents acquired Australian citizenship by naturalisation in the early 1990s (they were not born there). I was also born abroad after this and have never lived in or visited Australia. Is citizenship by descent a viable option for me who wants to live and work in Australia in the near future?

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Yes, you would be eligible.

However if over 18 you will also need to prove you are of 'good character', which essentially means having a clean criminal record.

You can find the citizenship via descent info on the Australian immigration website.

There is also another restriction: to pass your Australian Citizenship on to your kids, you will have to show a certain number of years of residence. Don't remember the exact number, but it is quite reasonable, like 2 or 3 years.

7 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

There is also another restriction: to pass your Australian Citizenship on to your kids, you will have to show a certain number of years of residence. Don't remember the exact number, but it is quite reasonable, like 2 or 3 years.

That's partially correct. Once he has gotten australian citizenship via decent, then to get Australian citizenship his kids will need to either:

a) be born in Australia (no residence requirement by the parents); or

b) be born to a mother who is an australian citizen and was born in Australia; or

c) the father will need to live in australia for a total of 2 years in Australia as an australian citizen in the case his kids are subsequently born outside of Australia.

15 hours ago, samran said:

That's partially correct. Once he has gotten australian citizenship via decent, then to get Australian citizenship his kids will need to either:

a) be born in Australia (no residence requirement by the parents); or

b) be born to a mother who is an australian citizen and was born in Australia; or

c) the father will need to live in australia for a total of 2 years in Australia as an australian citizen in the case his kids are subsequently born outside of Australia.

Hey, thanks for the replies - really appreciated. Just to clarify, are you saying for me to be eligible my parents must’ve lived in Australia for 2 years post acquiring citizenship? 

3 hours ago, Jo1012 said:

Hey, thanks for the replies - really appreciated. Just to clarify, are you saying for me to be eligible my parents must’ve lived in Australia for 2 years post acquiring citizenship? 

No, you should be good to go. It’s you we are talking about having to live there for two years as a citizen before your kids can get it if they happen to be born overseas.

If they are born in Australia, they get it automatically regardless of how long you live there. 

Archived