How soon did you get married

parafareno

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

An old saying: Why buy the cow when the milk can be rented for 1000 b?

Many guys come here and have a move in or get married quickly.  Even online proposals without even meeting them or knowing much about this place.  

From my point of view that is a form of insanity. Why the hurry? And why would someone spend hundreds of hours communicating with someone they never met? 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 3:44 AM, Damrongsak said:

I don't recall exactly when I met my future wife, but I think it was the start of Khao Phansa, July 1977.  She was in the market in Loei selling clothing with her sister.  Soon hired her to do my laundry as it wouldn't dry in the rainy season if I did it.  We married Oct 7, 1978, so perhaps 15 months.  It was then or never as my Peace Corps tour ended in March 1979. (We did hang around for another year or so as I got a job interviewing Lao and Khmer refugees for resettlement in the U.S.)

She didn't speak English at the time, though she knew a few words.  We got along fine just as friends.  Now after 42 years, her English is way better than my Thai.  And she's a worth adversary.  :cheesy:

Oh, she was never married and we were young.  I was 25, she was a couple years younger. Lovely couple.  Then and now:

image.jpeg.3f6cf749349739bcdcc63bc6fc4d820e.jpeg  image.png.d092cecede6d417f7be4f25b55ec0506.png

Great, love it

• Thanks 1

I came over for some dental work in 2017.

i met her within 2 hours of landing on Phuket on Anzac Day.

Shes a good hearted decent woman, almost as soon as I got back to Australia I applied for a 3 month tourist visa, she came, I proposed, she accepted, and we married in a village ceremony on my birthday in January 2018.

She got her visa to Australia in May 2019, she was here for two weeks before going back to nurse her father through his final days... 

she thanks me for “eating easy” she’s the easiest woman I’ve ever lived with ????

Im 53 she’s 40.

Edited by HighPriority
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

we have had just 2 arguments, both over stupid misunderstandings and both many years ago. 

Isn't that the best, to have a partner that you never argue with, too this day 13 years on, the occasional tiff through some, as you say misunderstandings, funny thing is my wife still thinks I was serious about getting a DNA test when she had our second child.

You see when we were living in Australia for 9 years, and when our second daughter was born 5 years ago, I said to her, she is too beautiful to be our daughter, I should get a DNA test done, well, last night we were being playful as usual on the chase after watching a movie on NetFlix and our now 5 year old came in and asked for something and then walked away, with me saying too my wife, yep, she is too beautiful to be our daughter, then out of nowhere, my wife says to me, "I still can't believe you said you wanted to get a DNA test when she was born, with my reply being, (laughing hysterically), I can still see the look on your face back then, you took the bait hook line and sinker ????

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 1:44 PM, Damrongsak said:

I don't recall exactly when I met my future wife, but I think it was the start of Khao Phansa, July 1977.  She was in the market in Loei selling clothing with her sister.  Soon hired her to do my laundry as it wouldn't dry in the rainy season if I did it.  We married Oct 7, 1978, so perhaps 15 months.  It was then or never as my Peace Corps tour ended in March 1979. (We did hang around for another year or so as I got a job interviewing Lao and Khmer refugees for resettlement in the U.S.)

She didn't speak English at the time, though she knew a few words.  We got along fine just as friends.  Now after 42 years, her English is way better than my Thai.  And she's a worth adversary.  :cheesy:

Oh, she was never married and we were young.  I was 25, she was a couple years younger. Lovely couple.  Then and now:

image.jpeg.3f6cf749349739bcdcc63bc6fc4d820e.jpeg  image.png.d092cecede6d417f7be4f25b55ec0506.png

such a sweet story.  best wishes . Thanks for sharing . 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, berrec said:

First thing to know is when you marry a Thai lady you marry the family...........always fully understand that and all the social and financial responsibilities that comes with it.

Second, your wife's family needs will in many cases take preference over your needs. 

My advice take it slow, learn more about her, her family and Thai culture. 

Yep, pretty much the case.  We ended up building a house in Loei years and years ago and her Mom was generally the only occupant.  We never gave her much cash, just a wee bit now and then.  I think she liked me better than her daughter.  (Eldest girl child has to put up with a lot of <deleted>.)

We also sponsored two of her married siblings to come to the U.S.  I was rather taken aback when it turned out that they AND their families were approved.  7 people in all!  I didn't see that coming! It took 10 years for the legal immigration process.  But they are doing fine now, earning their own money and 3 have or will soon receive citizenship.  Bro-in-law mows my lawn, rakes leaves and fixes our cars.  Sis-in-law bought and runs a Thai restaurant in Maryland. 

The good part is that I'm the eldest family member and get respect.  I've known them since they were children.

Enjoying myself divorcing my wife back in Oz. Best move I have ever made. Moved to BKK and met a professional, very senior, Thai lady 25 years my junior and been living together for just over a year. Never married and I do not plan to marry again although we are monogamous. All I can see are downsides to marriage. The only glitch is that she does not speak much English, but fakes understanding me. I do not speak any Thai. Comes to a head when I ask her a question that requires an answer and she clearly does not understand, like tonight when I asked if I had left the AC on the living room when we I to bed. One friend thought it was a plus that we could not talk with each other. All else is good though.

16 hours ago, berrec said:

First thing to know is when you marry a Thai lady you marry the family...........always fully understand that and all the social and financial responsibilities that comes with it.

Second, your wife's family needs will in many cases take preference over your needs. 

Me personally; meet my wife in Bangkok 23 years ago. married 19 years now, yep she is an Isaan girl. 

I worked in and out of Thailand for many years; we were in a long distance relationship for 3 years.

I brought her to my home country for 6 visits over the latter 2 years.

Got married in Thailand in year 4 of our relationship, brought her to live in my home country for 15 years.

We moved to Thailand to live 3 years ago, between very happily married now for 19 years.

The best decision I ever made in my life..........she is a diamond, supper good looking (still), super smart and full of love and compassion for people.

My advice take it slow, learn more about her, her family and Thai culture. 

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Yep, pretty much the case.  We ended up building a house in Loei years and years ago and her Mom was generally the only occupant.  We never gave her much cash, just a wee bit now and then.  I think she liked me better than her daughter.  (Eldest girl child has to put up with a lot of <deleted>.)

We also sponsored two of her married siblings to come to the U.S.  I was rather taken aback when it turned out that they AND their families were approved.  7 people in all!  I didn't see that coming! It took 10 years for the legal immigration process.  But they are doing fine now, earning their own money and 3 have or will soon receive citizenship.  Bro-in-law mows my lawn, rakes leaves and fixes our cars.  Sis-in-law bought and runs a Thai restaurant in Maryland. 

The good part is that I'm the eldest family member and get respect.  I've known them since they were children.

Yup 100% regarding marrying the family - luckily my extended fam is amazing and non-reliant on the farang pouring money on the sick buffaloes or houses for relatives - such narratives very prevalent and undoubtedly many of those hold true, unfortunately. I think it took us 18 months to tie the knot, both divorced for some time, married with no sin-sod (nor was expected), though I did buy MIL a new phone so she could skype us and keep us up to date while house/ and dogsitting, whilst we were away for the wedding in Bkk :burp: EDIT: Oh and we've only a few years age difference, and she indeed is the first born child, very (sometimes overtly) responsible for the rest of her siblings, but as she says, it's her responsibility not ours (read:mine) - couldn't be happier ^^ 
 Image may contain: 6 people, people sitting

Edited by jabis
  • Like 2

Met my husband 3 months before we started dating. Moved in together 1 year later. Got engaged 2 years after that, and married another year later. 

Those four years gave us the time to get to know each other's habits, families, decision making processes, values, and real visions of the future. We also survived some pretty rough patches during that time, which in hindsight strengthened the relationship and helped each other understand one another better, but could easily have been deal breakers if one of us hadn't put in the work. 

Intercultural relationships can be hard work at the best of times. I can't see how being trapped in a marriage could possibly make things easier.

• Like 2

She's aged better than you mate.

Seriously though, fair play.

I wish you many more years together.

God bless you both

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jabis said:

Yup 100% regarding marrying the family - luckily my extended fam is amazing and non-reliant on the farang pouring money on the sick buffaloes or houses for relatives - such narratives very prevalent and undoubtedly many of those hold true, unfortunately. I think it took us 18 months to tie the knot, both divorced for some time, married with no sin-sod (nor was expected), though I did buy MIL a new phone so she could skype us and keep us up to date while house/ and dogsitting, whilst we were away for the wedding in Bkk :burp: EDIT: Oh and we've only a few years age difference, and she indeed is the first born child, very (sometimes overtly) responsible for the rest of her siblings, but as she says, it's her responsibility not ours (read:mine) - couldn't be happier ^^ 
 Image may contain: 6 people, people sitting

Hahaha you got photo bombed by that kid

• Haha 1

you still look the same !    well, maybe the beards a bit longer      congrats

• Thanks 1