How soon did you get married

parafareno

On 4/7/2020 at 8:44 AM, Damrongsak said:

I don't recall exactly when I met my future wife, but I think it was the start of Khao Phansa, July 1977.  She was in the market in Loei selling clothing with her sister.  Soon hired her to do my laundry as it wouldn't dry in the rainy season if I did it.  We married Oct 7, 1978, so perhaps 15 months.  It was then or never as my Peace Corps tour ended in March 1979. (We did hang around for another year or so as I got a job interviewing Lao and Khmer refugees for resettlement in the U.S.)

She didn't speak English at the time, though she knew a few words.  We got along fine just as friends.  Now after 42 years, her English is way better than my Thai.  And she's a worth adversary.  :cheesy:

Oh, she was never married and we were young.  I was 25, she was a couple years younger. Lovely couple.  Then and now:

image.jpeg.3f6cf749349739bcdcc63bc6fc4d820e.jpeg  image.png.d092cecede6d417f7be4f25b55ec0506.png

Well done; you beat the odds.

Even western to western is only 50% likely to succeed, and western to Thai is probably worse odds.

PS. Great beard. It's as good as mine

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, rumak said:

I am not an advocate of "marriage".    Why do you need papers and contracts to live with somebody?    And,  in many many cases the love does not grow stronger, but quite the opposite.

Snap.

It's so rare to see a couple still in love after 40 years as to be unusual. The best most seem to achieve is that it's too hard to go off alone so stay together.

On both my break ups I lost almost everything.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 2:34 AM, TC17 said:

This is a great topic.  You hear so many horror stories, especially on YouTube of guys taken to the cleaners once married to a Thai girl.  Let's hear more positive stories and the details behind those relationships.  Maybe the few bad outcomes get a disproportionate amount of press and attention.   I wonder the same thing as the original poster.  

You can be wiped out by women from any country, not just Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was 6 years

Met my wife my 1st trip to Thailand

I was 30yrs old, she was 21yrs old.

But as usual, Thai girls want to go 0-60 in a relationship and I wanted it to be more casual

Seen each other on maybe 7-8 trips in 2/3 years

But went our separate ways, she moved to Italy for a couple of years

But we ended back together

So known each other 18 years, married for 12 years

My stepson is 19yrs old at Thamassat University, we have a great relationship. Always in touch with each other

We still would like to have a baby in the next year or so and even maybe adopt another child(or two!)