BANGKOK
Saraburi121

Growing Chili Peppers in Central Thailand

On 5/2/2020 at 1:07 AM, Damrongsak said:

Bacillus subtilis is used to make Natto (fermented soybeans). Thua nao (ถั่วเน่า) in Thai.  Should be OK unless they added something else.

I used to eat Natto when I lived in Japan, never had it here in Thailand. I actually like it.  Interesting fact.  I put on my PPE and sprayed my chili peppers today, hope it works.  

Update.  A neighbor gave me a lot of thai chili starts that she says will do well here, saves the seeds every year for next. Thought maybe a chiliI that has been grown here many seasons may be resistant to some of the diseases etc in this area. Sprayed the holes I planted them in with bacillus subtilis then did a folior spay every 7 days x 3 applications.  Just as they were blooming I sprayed with a solution of epsom salt, seemed to liven them up.  Used a little 15-15-15 after 20 days.  So far they seem to be doing well, firm fruit and no sign of brown or rot.  Next week or so will see if they start to rot on the vine as others have.  Plants are very healthy.  I pulled up all my old stock and burned, they were planted in a different area.   I did get some seeds from East West and will try them next, out of room until after the cassava is harvested.  Checked my soil pH with a meter bought from Lazada, most areas just below 7.   Attached are some photos of my new plants vs old plants.

IMG_4607.jpeg

IMG_4606.jpeg

IMG_4603.jpeg

IMG_4604.jpeg

On 5/1/2020 at 4:37 PM, Saraburi121 said:

Directions say use 100 grams to 20 liters of water.  I only have a 2 liter spray bottle so 2.5 grams.  Says every 7 days.  Does that sound like an appropriate mix/schedule for chili’s?  

I am puzzled by your arithmetic... if 100 grams is used in 20 litres, then surely 2 litres requires 10 grams, not 2.5 grams? 

I grew up in a US state that was second to last in education every year lol!  Yes incorrect arithmetic, probably beer induced.