Special Report: Doctors embrace drug touted by Trump for COVID-19, without hard evidence it works

webfact

20 hours ago, Don Chance said:

You guys can make some quick cash selling these drugs online and shipping to the US.

Do you know a pharmacy that has them? I checked around and it isn't available. Azithromycin, yes. But not hydroxychloroquine.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:53 AM, simple1 said:

Volunteers, Yes, but take a look at their corporate roles below, lots of self interest.

https://www.nationalmemo.com/is-kushners-covid-19-team-profiting-from-the-crisis/?cn-reloaded=1

It has come to light that trump, though investment funds, though small, has interests in the drugs he is promoting, as well as a number of his so called advisers. it's beyond believe trump has not put his financials interests in blind trusts.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/7/21211872/trump-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-covid19-drugs-sanofi-owns

Yesterday the French recommendation of the drug combo for Covid has now been retracted by the oversight organisation.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/publisher-now-says-study-touting-hydroxychloroquine-as-covid-19-cure-doesnt-meet-its-standard

I am sure Big Pharma is working world wide to buy time for an "on-patent" - hence more profitable - solution.  Trump doesn't own enough of any of any of this to make a difference to his wealth.  Keep an eye on Kushner, though. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

https://qz.com/1835197/pharma-companies-race-to-roll-out-antibody-based-covid-19-drugs/

ANTIBODY COCKTAIL

A ‘bridge to a vaccine’: The race to roll out antibody-based Covid-19 drugs

April 8, 2020

The world is not likely to see a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 until next year, and there’s still no drug engineered to fight the virus. Studies of the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, which has been touted by President Trump, have not conclusively shown an effect against Covid-19. Plasma transfusions, which deliver antibodies from blood donated by recovered Covid-19 patients, are undergoing trials in a few hospitals, but remain in short supply.

In the meantime, a growing number of pharmaceutical companies are scrambling to roll out what will likely be the first generation of drugs specific to Covid-19.

Like plasma transfusions, these drugs are built on antibodies. But they’re delivered in a concentration that aims to be more effective, consistent, and able to be mass-produced. Such drugs are commonplace in treating cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, infectious diseases like Ebola, and other conditions, and represent a $50 billion annual market in the US that includes six of the country’s top 15 selling drugs. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rabas said:

About 2 weeks before Trump's comment, Thailand stopped the sale through pharmacies even with prescription, and hospitals began hoarding their supplies for inpatient use only. Thailand obviously recognized Chloroquine's potential value before Trump.

In fact, everyone knew, doctors everywhere knew, I and many knew, it has been known for more than a decade since SARS. Trump was the last to know.

Then why is the American MSM manufacturing such a blatantly false perspective? Chloroquine costs 5 cents per tablet. An entire long treatment is less than $1. The $4 trillion per year health industry is not happy. 

MSM manifacture what? They just relay the assessment of most experts. It may well be efficient but there is no conclusive study yet. There is a large scale trial going on in Europe so we can hope this matter will be soon clarified

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

They probably knew before Trump. However, I'm sure Trump knew about it well before he started suggesting it as a possible therapy. Many leftists think he just throws stuff out without thinking about as his common strategy. Trump has rope-a-doped them enough times to know that's not the case.

I am still bewildered that so many on the left appear to literally be hoping chloroquine doesn't work. It's the strangest thing. It's almost as though they prefer more people die than Trump be correct. Bizarro times we live in.

Yeah, Trump has a proven track of only making well informed and predictive statements, lol! Such as

February 20: "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done," ????

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-president-donald-trump-changing-statements-on-coronavirus/

There is no way Trump can be more informed than the most authoritative sources in the world. He's just making a bet. If it works he will try to get some advantage of it. If it doesn't work, people like you will explain us that he was just expressing his hope that it could work!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, candide said:

Yeah, Trump has a proven track of only making well informed and predictive statements, lol! Such as

February 20: "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done," ????

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-president-donald-trump-changing-statements-on-coronavirus/

There is no way Trump can be more informed than the most authoritative sources in the world. He's just making a bet. If it works he will try to get some advantage of it. If it doesn't work, people like you will explain us that he was just expressing his hope that it could work!

Yes of course, the president can be just as well-informed as the most authoritative sources in the world. That's not even debatable. The only question is, why are you so invested in it not working? That seems quite odd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, candide said:

MSM manifacture what? They just relay the assessment of most experts. It may well be efficient but there is no conclusive study yet. There is a large scale trial going on in Europe so we can hope this matter will be soon clarified

Oh please let's not kid around, the MSM relays the assessment of most LIBERAL "experts".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candide said:

I am not at all invested in it not working. If it is ultimately proven that it works, that's fine for me (and most of all for people who could be saved). But tell me, for what other reason than supporting Trump are you writing so many posts on a topic on which there is absolutely no consensus, in any country.

My point is that political leaders should not meddle in scientific health issues and should leave it to health professionals. That's what other leaders in other countries do.

My point is not that Trump should be against choloronavirus. My point is that he should shut up.

Why do you think there needs to be consensus among countries in order to start a new drug trial? Imagine how slowly advancements would occur if the world did so.

As to political leaders not meddling in scientific health issues- complete nonsense. A president has to "meddle" in a plethora of issues. Why do you think health care is some sort of holy grail which the president must avoid?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, candide said:

You did get my point. What I wrote is that, in any country, there is no consensus on chloroquine for covid-19. Some think it works, some state there is no real proof of it. And it's not according to any political stance. That's why they conduct trials to find out.

Yes, a president must not meddle in scientific debates and controversies, in particular about medicine. That's not his job.

OK... I"m going to do a search for posts by you in which you criticize Barack Obama for sticking his nose in the *climate change* debate. How do you think I'll make out? Wait... I have ESP..... "that's different", right? LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, candide said:

Which debate? There is a consensus among scientists about it, except for a very marginal fringe.

Did his statements raise the risk of uncontrolled use of a drug and/or its shortage?

You've moved the bar. Previously, you stated presidents should keep their nose out of scientific debate. Now you've added a caveat regarding "consensus" among scientists. That seems like a very arbitrary standard. I will stick with the Constitution: free speech. Obviously, a president has that right. And given scientific consensus has been wrong before, there's no reason to use that as a means to tell a president he needs to shut up about an issue he is in charge of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

It is a means to tell a president he needs to shut up about an issue he has no knowledge of.

Personally I believe in plasma transplants with antibodies btw, much more than in this.

Funny perspective. In case you haven't heard, a president leads. As such, he is provided with information on a plethora of issue so that he can make decisions. So yes, Trump has been given plenty of information on matters of science, executive summaries at the very least.

But let's take a look at your proposal, for a president to shut up about an issue he has no knowledge of. How do we test for that? See the problem?

So.... either presidents continue to be briefed on issues they decide on, or we come up with some silly and arbitrary system to decide on which issues the president must shut up.

Which do you think makes more sense?

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Funny perspective. In case you haven't heard, a president leads. As such, he is provided with information on a plethora of issue so that he can make decisions. So yes, Trump has been given plenty of information on matters of science, executive summaries at the very least.

But let's take a look at your proposal, for a president to shut up about an issue he has no knowledge of. How do we test for that? See the problem?

So.... either presidents continue to be briefed on issues they decide on, or we come up with some silly and arbitrary system to decide on which issues the president must shut up.

Which do you think makes more sense?

We don't have to come up with anything, he listens to the experts. But this stable genius knows all about everything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Travis179 said:

No hard evidence it works??? Dr. Zelenko has reportedly cured over 1,000 patients to date with this drug (along with Zinc, and Zithromax). Other doctors are reporting similar success stories. With no serious side effects whatsoever. The Fake News Media, <deleted> Dems, and Big Pharma are just trying to discredit Trump, for advocating it's use. Trump should have used reverse psychology, and came out strongly against its use. Then they would have been all for it. 

What's your competence for assessing medical therapies? Same as Trump? 555

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1