One thing that is confusing to me about COvid19

parafareno

In china there were so many infected....so many deaths...and now suddenly is gone....they opened everything up etc.....this looks impossible!! there are millions of people there, the virus spreads super quick and easy so how could they get rid of it, so they are opening up the borders? Can somebody explain.....??

I have the same question for all the other 'plagues' that have befallen us, starting with Sars-1 back in 2002.

How come they disappeared never to be heard of again?

There are no cures or vaccines for most of them Sars-1, MERS, h1n1, Ebola etc etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

I have the same question for all the other 'plagues' that have befallen us, starting with Sars-1 back in 2002.

There are no cures or vaccines for most of them Sars-1, MERS, h1n1, Ebola etc etc

incompetent press agent? get taken out of the news cycle like Stormy Daniels or Rudy? 

Seriously, all in the wording, - - ?? Plagues don't disappear... like black plague etc.. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

China are still experiencing new outbreaks, but I suspect there will be a measure of herd immunity at play, together with social distancing and better hand cleaning. This too shall pass

Ha sure. This was over the weekend at a park in China.

15862187823763983992940730186836.jpg

Edited by bkk6060
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Short of vaccines the only thing that works is the clean hands and, above all, social distancing which reduces the R0 number to less than 1. If you can achieve that, the virus dies out quite quickly. As long as the number is above 1, then it continues to spread.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Short of vaccines the only thing that works is the clean hands and, above all, social distancing which reduces the R0 number to less than 1. If you can achieve that, the virus dies out quite quickly. As long as the number is above 1, then it continues to spread.

what about if somebody coughs* like that bus driver who died after somebody coughed at him

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, meechai said:

Who knows eh?

But if as some suggested early on this virus was engineered & accidentally let out

Then the engineers would have had a big head start on a vaccine

... it is called an Antidote then... 

14 minutes ago, tonray said:

equally good that you've lost your sense of humor...

What do you mean?

I thought your AliExpress joke was funny and left a Laugh sticker on it.

My response, that you're quoting here, was also a joke, which is why it got a laugh too.

Lighten up man, it's all good!

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

what about if somebody coughs* like that bus driver who died after somebody coughed at him

The R0 number is an average, across thousands or millions of cases ...

5 hours ago, donnacha said:

What do you mean?

I thought your AliExpress joke was funny and left a Laugh sticker on it.

My response, that you're quoting here, was also a joke, which is why it got a laugh too.

Lighten up man, it's all good!

I laughed too.

Home confinement is making everyone a bit touchy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jimmjam said:

Lets not forget, these viruses mutate aswell. This covid virus has already mutated 8 times already i believe.

So it will probably end up having a name change eventually as it is not in its original form.

There are currently only two known strains of COVID-19. Has that changed?

• Like 1

China is like all the other countries in that it is not so much is the virus gone but how long can the country survive if businesses are shut down.  

The US and a lot of other countries are in the same boat.

The other thing that China is looking at is that almost everything the world needs is made in China therefore they have a chance at great wealth.

China has always put the welfare of the country ahead of the welfare of the people.  That is why they hid this disease so long from not only the rest of the world but from the Chinese people themselves.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vigilante said:

In past cases like SARS, MERS while the panic is on the funding is there to develop vaccines.  Once the panic subsides and things get back to normal the funding dries up.  It can take a couple years to complete all the stages of approval.  The panic is over in a few months and there is no interest to spend more money on them.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/02/coronavirus-vaccine-possibility-sars-wuhan-research.html

• Like 1

What a silly question, why have they opened.....How are they going to let the next pandemic happen if it's all in lock down. No doubt the next test tube virus is waiting, precariously balancing on the edge of some shelf, ha!

Krolja | Photos and vector illustrations | Colourbox.com

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donnacha said:

China got a good look at what happens, figured out roughly which parts of the population would die, and decided that, on balance, they were okay with that.

This is a once-in-a-century opportunity for China. America boomed in the 50's and 60's because they were the only advanced nation whose infrastructure had not been decimated during the war, making them the workshop of the world. China will now be the only country that can return to full production. The Western powers might want to but, because they are supposedly democracies, they cannot get the bodies past their citizens.

So, until an effective vaccine can be mass produced and distributed to everyone, the West will remain paralyzed and China will manufacture their way to world dominance 20 or 30 years earlier than expected.

Manufacture what to world dominance? There are no customers. 

• Like 1