BANGKOK
webfact

Trump says he had 'very friendly' call with political rival Biden

Trump says he had 'very friendly' call with political rival Biden

By Trevor Hunnicutt

2020-04-06T232144Z_1_LYNXMPEG3525B_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Democratic U.S. presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden speaks about responses to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic at an event in Wilmington, Delaware, U.S., March 12, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo

(Reuters) - President Donald Trump said he had a "very friendly" conversation with Joe Biden on Monday after the Democratic presidential front-runner called to discuss the government's handling of the coronavirus crisis.

Trump said their conversation lasted about 15 minutes.

"We had a really wonderful, warm conversation," Trump said during his news briefing on the outbreak. "He gave me his point of view, and I fully understood that, and we just had a very friendly conversation."

Biden, who is seeking his party's nomination to face Trump in the Nov. 3 election, "shared several suggestions for actions the Administration can take now to address the ongoing coronavirus pandemic," Biden's deputy campaign manager, Kate Bedingfield, said in a statement about the unusual direct talks between the White House rivals.

She added it was "a good call."

Biden has been delivering near-daily criticism of the president's handling of the coronavirus crisis in interviews and campaign appearances.

The former vice president has said Trump should act with more urgency to marshal federal resources to help state governors respond to the highly contagious respiratory disease, including using presidential authority to boost domestic manufacturing of medical equipment in short supply.

The nationwide death toll from the virus reached 10,674 and the number of known U.S. infections surpassed 360,000 on Monday even as the governors of New York and New Jersey pointed to tentative signs that the coronavirus outbreak was starting to plateau.

(Reporting by Trevor Hunnicutt in New York; Additional reporting by Jeff Mason in Washington; Editing by Tom Brown and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-07

There are two sides, they both say nice things to the media. However, they will attack each other as political rivals. Especially big November is going to come. The fight would be the way he attacked Hillary Clinton.

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

What a broken system of government, and selection (not that this is unique to the great US of A!)

The candidate team fielded by the Dem's was so frigin' lame even for a non-Yank like me to watch and listen to.

Joe looks way past the job of Pres to me, they say a personable and kind man. Maybe a bit too much like Jimmy Carter to be in the company of so many pirates?

I'm not swallowing the rights rhetoric about him being senile when I say this either, but ... I wonder if he's speaking a tad to altruistically and existentially for most to grasp what he is actually saying. 'Sound bite reporting' doesn't help much with anything like 'comprehensive communication processes either (I wonder?).

Sir, you are spot on. I despise Joe Biden's family for letting this go on. The poor old guy lost his son about five years ago. That is the most unnatural thing a parent can go through. And at 73? I'm sorry, one will never be the same after that. That is what pisses me off about his family. But OK, let's set that aside. He is obviously not all there. I can't imagine the DNC is going to let this nomination move forward. That begs the question, why put him through all this at all?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In most countries this would not even make the news,

but Donald,,, it is erection year