Why aren't they closing down offices?

michaeltheR

While I do understand that life essential business like food distribution, supermarkets need to be open I don't understand why law firms, tech companies or other offices related stuff are not being shut down. Most offices have multiple people sitting in a room for the whole day so it's as infectious as sitting in a restaurant so why have restaurants close but offices are kept open even though there are confirmed number of office drones who are infected. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, michaeltheR said:

essential yes but in this day and age a lot of that can be done from home office

Very true, i work from home. Have done for the past 3 years. No need for an office.

Maybe they dont have the equipment needed to complete tasks at home.

Or maybe they are being forced to work.

Just now, jimmjam said:

Very true, i work from home. Have done for the past 3 years. No need for an office.

Maybe they dont have the equipment needed to complete tasks at home.

Or maybe they are being forced to work.

Forced to work is more likely

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on the office.

Are they dealing with critical information, and thus can not hold it on external laptop, or even allow VPN access in.

Are they dealing with resources that can only be accessed on-site.

Do the employers lack the necessary hardware/infrastructure at home to do the work.

And of course, the obvious, do the companies trust their employees to work at home as opposed to slack off.

But, there might be legitimate reasons.  For example, I don't think you can access most of the banking functions from home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I gather the courts are still functioning. 

Amazes me that call centers are functioning worked in one and can tell you it is the worst place to work when it is cold season so really worst place t work for this. 

Then again I could not shop online if they were not open so what can yousay 

I agree.  It's sad to see employees who can easily do their work from home, leaving their homes and interacting with other people while transiting to work, being in an office and returning home. I am also dismayed because, the people who cannot afford to lose their jobs are being forced to choose work over their health.  For example, people who are working in a 'snack food' warehouse who are told to come to factory, mingle with a large number of people to produce snack foods.  We have plenty of snack foods available to us in supermarkets, online and stored in warehouses.  It seems counterintuitive to ask people to meet in masses, work and then go home to their families after interacting with other people all day in a production facility.  These people need their paycheck. So, they are going to work.  We need to find a way to pay them and not require them to go to the production line now.  It's a community safety issue, its a nationwide issue and it is a universal, safety issue.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brain150 said:

Can I get a valid source for this please.

"known" and "confirmed" are strong words ... Known and confirmed by whom ?

With 60,000,000 people in Thailand and 2,600 cases in total it doesn't look like the virus is spreading like hellfire !

With about 45 people dying every hour in Thailand any day of the year every year the number of 27 deaths from Corona

does not look very high ... roughly about how many people die in Thailand every 30 minutes on any give day !!!

For anybody who likes numbers:

By the official numbers about 0.004% of the population are tested positive with a mortality rate of 1% !

I am aware of the Theory of unlimited exponential growth which is against all evidence ... unlimited growths just never happens in nature !!! 

It's a theory ... like most climate models that until now have never been even closely accurate !!!

You believe numbers from the Thai govt???

Until testing is done on a large scale we have no idea what is going on. 

14 hours ago, michaeltheR said:

essential yes but in this day and age a lot of that can be done from home office

so what you go do, if something does not work in your rented condo ? or your internet fails or other similar things ,who could in present circumstances cut you of from light / water, and so a even more  uncomfortable situation is your part ….

• Like 1

Getting real work done from home is a lot more difficult than it sounds.

You need to develop a very different set of habits and attitudes.

Even back here in Europe, I see that the vast majority of people suddenly thrown into working from home are handling it badly.

To put it mildly, I don't think the average Thai office worker would find it any easier, and I don't blame Thai bosses for having doubts about the whole idea.

17 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

From what I gather the courts are still functioning. 

Amazes me that call centers are functioning worked in one and can tell you it is the worst place to work when it is cold season so really worst place t work for this. 

Then again I could not shop online if they were not open so what can yousay 

I did buy something online Friday but the delivery isn’t gonna arrive until tomorrow so we had to make a quick short trip to the mall yesterday but it went well. They’re doing a great job of keeping the crowds reduced.