When this is all over whats the first thing you will do?

ChipButty

14 hours ago, Zikomat said:

It will not be over in one day or even a week or even a month. It came on us slowly and it will go away even slower. 

Didn't come on NZ slowly. Think it only took a few weeks ( I don't remember the exact timeline now ) from zero to lockdown and I only knew about the lockdown 2 days before it happened.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Erm. Can't make a vaccine for a disease that hasn't happened yet.

Oh! sorry, I thought there was lockdowns all over the world, or maybe a disease and a virus are two different things. wait a minute, is the flu a disease? There are vaccines for that.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Would that be for the hospitals that cater to normal people or all, even the ones for rich people?

For years they've been telling us that American health care is the best in the world..............................

What I don't understand about this situation in any western country, is why they didn't get the military to open their field hospitals to keep Corona cases out of public hospitals- normal medical problems won't stop just because of this situation. They don't have to rely entirely on military medics- can use civilian nurses as well.

PS, I am an ex medic.

There are no separate hospitals for "normal" people and wealthy, they are all private hospitals.  But the sheer volume of COVID cases plus everyone else staying away means it is all COVID, there is no keeping COVID out of any hospital. They tries bringing in a hospital ship to treat non-COVID and it went empty, now converted it to treat COVID.(VA excepted).

Field hospitals have been opened.

I don't know which "they" you listen to but no respected public health source has ever described US health care system as the best or even in the top 10. It ranks quite low, in fact, due to access issues.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:14 AM, ChipButty said:

I'll be looking a bit like that my wife has some relatives in the army and he recommended the one they use they are in certain regiment where they have to do it every 2 weeks

Hairdressers are allowed to stay open, so why not cut your hair if it's really necessary? 

On 4/8/2020 at 12:56 PM, possum1931 said:

Oh! sorry, I thought there was lockdowns all over the world, or maybe a disease and a virus are two different things. wait a minute, is the flu a disease? There are vaccines for that.

LOL. Did I really have to clarify that?

Have to wait till the disease starts then analyse it, then produce a trial vaccine which has to be evaluated, then trialed, then approved. Takes about 12 to 18 months.

It's not possible to make a vaccine for a virus that hasn't even occurred yet.

Flue has been around probably as long as humans.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

they are all private hospitals.

Not in Thailand. Government hospitals and private hospitals.

Is that in Thailand? Should be in every affected country.

I don't know which "they" you listen to but no respected public health source has ever described US health care system as the best or even in the top 10. It ranks quite low, in fact, due to access issues.

I was referring to the oft stated that American health care is best in the world and it probably is, but only for those that can afford the best.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:01 AM, Sheryl said:

There are no separate hospitals for "normal" people and wealthy, they are all private hospitals.  But the sheer volume of COVID cases plus everyone else staying away means it is all COVID, there is no keeping COVID out of any hospital. They tries bringing in a hospital ship to treat non-COVID and it went empty, now converted it to treat COVID.(VA excepted).

That's if you are poor. If you are the sheikh of oilistan you go to the Mayo Clinic which indeed is amongst the finest in the world.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 5:32 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Would that be for the hospitals that cater to normal people or all, even the ones for rich people?

For years they've been telling us that American health care is the best in the world..............................

What I don't understand about this situation in any western country, is why they didn't get the military to open their field hospitals to keep Corona cases out of public hospitals- normal medical problems won't stop just because of this situation. They don't have to rely entirely on military medics- can use civilian nurses as well.

PS, I am an ex medic.

I heard the other day they actually switched the military ship to virus patients. This was because that's what was causing crowding because there are very few injuries and accidents. Nobody driving and getting into accidents. Of course there are normal things like heart attacks and what have you but I thought Cuomo was explaining that occupancy for the normal things is down because life has completely stopped there. 

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

I heard the other day they actually switched the military ship to virus patients. This was because that's what was causing crowding because there are very few injuries and accidents. Nobody driving and getting into accidents. Of course there are normal things like heart attacks and what have you but I thought Cuomo was explaining that occupancy for the normal things is down because life has completely stopped there. 

There was a part time nurse on talkback radio yesterday saying she was told not required to work any more as not enough patients, and the hospitals had been emptied in anticipation of a surge of Corona patients that has not occurred in NZ.