Extend Extensions?

I am a US citizen currently on a multi-entry non-immigrant O Visa (marriage).  My 90 day stay expires June 18 when I was planning to go to immigration and get a 60 day extension.  

My question is as follows; if I get the 60 day extension can I apply for the more permanent yearly extension at the end of these 60 days, approximately on August 18th?

My concern is that I would be extending an extension which probably does not work.  My gamble is that I will be able to make a border run by then.  Otherwise my stay will expire and I begin the overstay period which I clearly want to avoid.

I would prefer not to get the more permanent yearly extension as I travel approximately every 90 days.  If this is what it takes to stay with my wife, then I will get the yearly extension.  I will need to plan money transfer to meet the financial requirements of the marriage extension.  And now is not a good time to sell stocks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

There is, in general, no problem with applying for additional extensions of your permission to stay if you qualify. Certainly, if you have extended a non immigrant entry by 60 days to visit your Thai spouse or child, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot then request a one-yer extension of stay.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

My concern is that I would be extending an extension which probably does not work.

There is nothing that says you cannot extend an extension. How would those on one year extensions of stay apply for another one year after year.

You can extend a 60 day extension for one year near the end of it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is nothing that says you cannot extend an extension. How would those on one year extensions of stay apply for another one year after year.

You can extend a 60 day extension for one year near the end of it.

You can extend a 60 day extension for one year near the end of it......But Isn't That ONLY if you have the required 400k in the Bank,Joe ???

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added

10 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

You can extend a 60 day extension for one year near the end of it......But Isn't That ONLY if you have the required 400k in the Bank,Joe ???

Of course you need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. 

On 4/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, ubonjoe said:

Of course you need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. 

Proof of at least 40k a month .....in such a case as this for how long before and after your application?. No Embassy letter available to me.I've certainly had 40k a month coming in since I arrived in January. Not before that though.  In varying amounts,varying times. Proof by bank statement? Unfortunately the credits here are just showing as " auto" . I transfer to Bangkok Bank London branch in £ by internetworking banking quoting a special reference plus my account number here who convert it and credit my account with them in Thailand in baht.  No account with them in London. Anyone know if a letter from them confirming that is acceptable to Immigration here?

24 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Proof of at least 40k a month .....in such a case as this for how long before and after your application?

If it is your first extension application you only need 2 or 3 months of transfers. After the first extension you need to show 12 months of transfers.

30 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Proof by bank statement? Unfortunately the credits here are just showing as " auto" . I transfer to Bangkok Bank London branch in £ by internetworking banking quoting a special reference plus my account number here who convert it and credit my account with them in Thailand in baht. 

From what I have read the transfers via London will be shown as a foreign telegraphic transfer (FTT in bank book) it they are transferred to here as pounds and converted to baht when received.

When the conversion is done to bhat in London the will not be shown as a foreign transfer.

There are different fees for the 2 methods of transfer shown here under fees. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

Bangkok should be able to provide credit advises that will show all the details of the transfers prove the came from abroad.

Some offices what a letter from the bank listing all your transfers. Others only want a bank statement and a standard letter confirming your account.

On 4/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, ubonjoe said:

If it is your first extension application you only need 2 or 3 months of transfers. After the first extension you need to show 12 months of transfers.

From what I have read the transfers via London will be shown as a foreign telegraphic transfer (FTT in bank book) it they are transferred to here as pounds and converted to baht when received.

When the conversion is done to bhat in London the will not be shown as a foreign transfer.

There are different fees for the 2 methods of transfer shown here under fees. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

Bangkok should be able to provide credit advises that will show all the details of the transfers prove the came from abroad.

Some offices what a letter from the bank listing all your transfers. Others only want a bank statement and a standard letter confirming your account.

Thanks. Below this you also say " on first application need to show 2 or 3 months" subsequent applications 12.

I was on sequential annual extensions to a non O single entry obtained years ago but let that lapse in January 2019 in favour of a new non immigrant O multi visa from Savanakhet. So if I apply will this be treted as a first application? Obviously they will see my history, its in my passport!

5 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I was on sequential annual extensions to a non O single entry obtained years ago but let that lapse in January 2019 in favour of a new non immigrant O multi visa from Savanakhet. So if I apply will this be treted as a first application? Obviously they will see my history, its in my passport!

It will be considered as you first extension since you will be extending a 90 day entry from your non-o visa. 

• Like 1

Are several months of transfers from overseas to my bank enough for a first 12 month extension?

If i just transfer 50+k/month to myself from overseas is that OK? Or is there more proof needed about the source of the transfers?

And if i continue to do this every month around the same date for a year i can get another extension based solely on that?

I think i have read before that they sometimes ask for more proof like work contract or some proof of overseas pensions etc..

2 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

Are several months of transfers from overseas to my bank enough for a first 12 month extension?

If you are not on a one year extension now you would only need a few months of transfers.

You need proof the transfers came from abroad.

Some offices do want proof of the source of your income. About anything will accepted since they mostly want to see it to prove that you are moving the funds back and sending it again.

After the first extension you will need to prove 12 months of transfers when you apply for your next extension. No problem to do it again.

13 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I would be surprised if immigration provide a "loophole" allowing folks to go out for a new Visa after each 12-mo extension, stay 3 mo here on that, then apply for a year again with only a few months transfers.

With the monthly-transfer system of qualifying, read other's reports here.  Some do ok, but many methods are used by IOs to block this method of obtaining an extension, even when it is crystal-clear the applicant has the funds coming in regularly.  

One recent report was an applicant with the required official state pension which pays every 4 weeks, vs "once a month" - and they Blocked him, because the 4-week amount was less than required, even though the annual-total (13 transfers / year) was over the minimum. 

2 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

I think i have read before that they sometimes ask for more proof like work contract or some proof of overseas pensions etc..

If working in Thailand, a work-contract is only one of several "original" documents needed - your employer needs to go around to several govt offices to get them all, essentially "re-proving" you should have the work-permit you already have (and have shown). 

If your money comes from overseas, many IOs will "disqualify" income unless you can prove it is from a "government pension" - this happened to me.  Other incomes (overseas rental-property or other busineses, stock-dividends, etc) are NOT considered "legit" for purposes of Supporting Your Thai Family (what they aim to stop). 

This is why I work here now (with work permit), and how I learned how they try to block foreigners supporting their families here - even 100% legal with work-permit - by driving your employer up the wall with pointless document requirements.

My question only arises because at the moment, I cannot get to Savanakhet!!

And when it is possible, who knows whether a, medical clearance certificate and Covid insurance will be required whether I went there or elsewhere.

As a "loophole", yes that could well be a problem. I did not seek a new annual marriage extension, after 5 years of them, in mid January 2019. Instead went to Savanakhet then. So now 15 months ago. Now on a 60 day extension.

As a secondary point because raising 400k baht right now would expose me to a 30% tax charge on it where I pay tax. So going by the annual route with 2 months seasoned 400k in the bank would probably be better for me next year but not until March.

Thirdly I have never spent more than 5 months in total per year in Thailand and so always had to buy the the entry permit too. I finally realised the multi entry non O from Savanakhet seemed just dandy for what I actually do, which is not border bouncing. Its not so far to go, paperwork simple, no financials, even though overnight stay required.

And then along comes Covid and wish now I'd just continued the annual in country extensions!