Phuket Immigration Latest

pagallim

Had to go to Phuket Town again today to buy a motorcycle part.

Thought I'd go to immigration and ask again about this 90 day reporting. I took a copy of the Information sheet posted above.

Saw a different officer this time and this is what he said:-

1. An extension is not a visa, so clause 2 does not count.

2. An extension doesn't allow "residence" in the kingdom, so clause 1 does not count.

He said that 90 day reports did not need to be done during the lock-down period which has now ended for most people. He also said that the information sheet is designed for people that could not leave the island due to the flight, or lock-down situation and not for people on yearly extensions. In short, if you are on an extension of stay, you must do your 90 day report. Make of it what you will.

That is now two IOs that have told me this and I would rather take their word for it than some random strangers on an internet forum.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Had to go to Phuket Town again today to buy a motorcycle part.

Thought I'd go to immigration and ask again about this 90 day reporting. I took a copy of the Information sheet posted above.

Saw a different officer this time and this is what he said:-

1. An extension is not a visa, so clause 2 does not count.

2. An extension doesn't allow "residence" in the kingdom, so clause 1 does not count.

He said that 90 day reports did not need to be done during the lock-down period which has now ended for most people. He also said that the information sheet is designed for people that could not leave the island due to the flight, or lock-down situation and not for people on yearly extensions. In short, if you are on an extension of stay, you must do your 90 day report. Make of it what you will.

That is now two IOs that have told me this and I would rather take their word for it than some random strangers on an internet forum.

Thanks for that- exactly the clarification we needed and in line with what most of us seemed to interpret and act on. 

First hand information is always better than conjecture from those who comment from afar.

No, I have first hand experience on this,  while you speculate as to what could or may happen , I have seen the consequences myself, you will not be penalized if you apply after your extension expired, I was there when the guy next to me was told that and paid his 1900b and got his extension. 

My friend not penalized due to not going for his 90 day last week when he got his extension this week. They don't even bother to look.... , now you can make of it what you like, just speculate what could or may happen - I am not, I have seen the result....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I did my 90-day reporting in Phuket Immigration earlier today.  I had all my paperwork prepared in advance (completed TM47, copy TM30, copy TM6, copy passport picture page, copy OA-Visa in passport, copy permission to stay stamp in passport). 

I was in/out of Phuket immigration in less than 10 minutes.

Some details in case anyone curious: .... I arrived at about 09:15am.  There were 2 other non-Thai present, one sitting at a counter with an Immigration Officer (IO) and the other using hand sanitizer to clean his hands prior to departing.   Everyone in immigration was wearing masks.

There was no one sitting by the two tables where the Phuket Immigration Volunteers normally sit, and all chairs in the indoor (and outdoor) waiting areas were empty.  No one waiting.

There is a big sign noting 90-day reporting is not needed to be done at present time.

I politely stood by the entrance to the IO area and after less than a minute of standing, an IO walked up to me and asked what i wanted.  I replied that I was hoping to do my 90-day report.

The IO instructed me to follow him, and he went to a counter, checked all my paper work, entered some items into his computer, printed out the paper that records my reporting and states the date for my next report (24-August-2020). 

And all was complete in less than 10 minutes.

I note it was not necessary to go in to immigration to do the 90-day report at present with the COVID-19 90-day reporting 'extension' (apologies for inaccurate wording).  I previously attempted to do so online, but since this would be my 1st 90-day report since having a new TM-6 (re-entering Thailand on 29-Feb-2020) I speculate that might be the reason for the online 90-day report not working.

Also, Phuket immigration is about a 10-minute car drive from where I live in Phuket.  My wife and I had to drive past immigration this morning to do another errand, so this was on my way and an easy, less than 10-minute stop.

Edited by oldcpu

On 5/15/2020 at 2:03 PM, Agusts said:

No, I have first hand experience on this,  while you speculate as to what could or may happen , I have seen the consequences myself, you will not be penalized if you apply after your extension expired, I was there when the guy next to me was told that and paid his 1900b and got his extension. 

My friend not penalized due to not going for his 90 day last week when he got his extension this week. They don't even bother to look.... , now you can make of it what you like, just speculate what could or may happen - I am not, I have seen the result....

As mentioned before, the amnesty was and is original intended for the people who can't travel due to the travel restrictions.

This amnesty is then also used for the people who weren't able to go to immigration office due to the lock down.

As the lock down is finished and the immigration office is working as normal people should do their immigration things as normal.

They are lenient of extension, 90 day expire dates and no fines are imposed when somebody is to late.  

4 hours ago, merijn said:

As mentioned before, the amnesty was and is original intended for the people who can't travel due to the travel restrictions.

This amnesty is then also used for the people who weren't able to go to immigration office due to the lock down.

As the lock down is finished and the immigration office is working as normal people should do their immigration things as normal.

They are lenient of extension, 90 day expire dates and no fines are imposed when somebody is to late.  

Not sure why you are keep going on about this,  there is an amnesty given until end of July and applies until then and until further notice, period. The rest are stories you make up ..., there have been no new notice, and no, your posts don't count as new immigration notice...! lol

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Maybe because he knows the ins and outs of Phuket immigration.

Our 'august' member seems to know far more than those of us who have a) been dealing with Phuket Immigration for years and b) knows far more than 'our man' who, for reasons WE know, knows the ins and outs of Immigration. ???? I've just put him on ignore after a number of comments he has made.

Those of us who a) know Phuket Immigration and b) know 'our man' have been doing exactly what he has alluded to. Others may find that not making an attempt to play the game will bite them in the backside come 31 July. 'So Mr X, despite there being no restrictions on travel why couldn't you be bothered to come in? Why should I bother to process you'. ????

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pagallim said:

Not wishing to stir the pot, however, the amnesty for Immigration matters until 31st July hasn't been rescinded and is still in effect.   The notice issued is quite definitive in to whom and for what it applies.   Immigration offices are however open.

Whilst inter district travel restrictions have been lifted, self isolation at home is still encouraged.   For some people, the requirement and ability to go to Immigration may be countered by their desire to stay safe.   That puts scheduled Immigration visits in the 'optional at this time' category at least until the 31st July.   The idea of there being some form of punitive punishment for those who exercise this option come 31st July, inspite of what we all know are the vagaries of Immigration's policies and individual interpretations, are unlikely in the extreme.

As an aside, I was at Immigration on Monday this week for completion of my Marriage extension.   I had applied for this on 25th March for an extension that expired on 25th April.   The 'under consideration' stamp was until 25th May (30 days from extension expiring, not 30 days from application).   Two full months for it to be considered, and yet on Monday, it was still in the being considered category.   No further stamp was put into my passport, I was just given the visa application number and told to keep checking their website for updates.   On Wednesday, 'Approved' was shown, and the following day my wife went in for the passport update (we were told I didn't need to go back personally).

Almost forgot to mention, no home visit for this or my previous Marriage extension.   10 years of Retirement extensions prior to these.

Your right with saying that if people don't want to travel to the immigration they don't have to do it necessarily.

You don't get fined if you come after the expire date of your current extension.

But don't wait until after 31 July as 31 July is the last day of which you can do the extension as you will be in overstay if you come after this date.

The main reason the immigration says that you should come whenever possible is to avoid possible chaos around 31 July when probable everybody is coming who decided not to bother to come earlier.

And imho there is no real reason for not doing it now as it very quite and therefore less risk of problems.

But in the end it's up to the people to decide if they wait until the end or not.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, merijn said:

Phuket immigration just decided that they don't do the 90 day reporting anymore until further notice or until 31 July.

90 day reporting.jpeg

Thanks. Please keep us informed, this can change again on a whim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, merijn said:

Phuket immigration just decided that they don't do the 90 day reporting anymore until further notice or until 31 July.

90 day reporting.jpeg

Interesting sign, interesting decision.

Rumours about changes in reporting may come to pass.

Edited by Old Croc

I came across this yesterday at the drive through too. They said I had to come back on 1st August. I asked if could do as would be very busy on 1st August and they said no, come back on 1st. Am now trying on-line as dont fancy joining the queue of several hundred on the 1st!

5 minutes ago, sketcher said:

I came across this yesterday at the drive through too. They said I had to come back on 1st August. I asked if could do as would be very busy on 1st August and they said no, come back on 1st. Am now trying on-line as dont fancy joining the queue of several hundred on the 1st!

Would be the 3rd then ????

There has just been a post on one of the Facebook expat pages and a guy said he went to the drive thru today to do his 90 day report but couldn't due to something to do with the covid 19 shelter? so he went to room 103 and did it there

It seems to change from 1 day to the next

The shelter doesn't interfere with the drive trough option and today the drive trough works as normal.

Most of the time they will do the 90 day reporting but sometimes they tell people to come back after 31 July.

I don't know why this is, maybe it's depending on the manpower they have or the mood they are in.

FYI, Last week the computer system for 90 day reporting was down for a few days and therefore they didn't do it at all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to a home visit after you receive your 'under consideration' stamp, how quickly does this happen?, its been almost 2 weeks now since i applied, and no phone calls, or house visit yet?

PST

41 minutes ago, PST said:

With regards to a home visit after you receive your 'under consideration' stamp, how quickly does this happen?, its been almost 2 weeks now since i applied, and no phone calls, or house visit yet?

PST

I did my second extension through marriage a couple of months ago (after previous 10 retirement extensions), and never had a home visit.

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

I did my second extension through marriage a couple of months ago (after previous 10 retirement extensions), and never had a home visit.

This is my first for a few years, but i have previous extensions based on marriage and work permit. I didnt recieve a visit for them either?

7 hours ago, PST said:

PST

The home visit is normally done only for the first extension based upon marriage. In my case, the I/O told me he was coming the following weekend when he put the "under consideration" stamp in my passport. He also made it clear that he expected some tea money when he visited. This was about 6 years ago.

5 hours ago, DrDave said:

The home visit is normally done only for the first extension based upon marriage. In my case, the I/O told me he was coming the following weekend when he put the "under consideration" stamp in my passport. He also made it clear that he expected some tea money when he visited. This was about 6 years ago.

Was that in Phuket?

Phuket Immigration doesn’t do in general home visits but if they do it’s only for the first time extensions.

i also never heard about a expected payment.

19 hours ago, merijn said:

Was that in Phuket?

Phuket Immigration doesn’t do in general home visits but if they do it’s only for the first time extensions.

i also never heard about a expected payment.

Yes, it was Phuket, for a first-time marriage extension about 6 or more years ago. I/O brought his wife with him to our house in his new Fortuner. He never came inside the house - just stood outside for a quick photo.

• Thanks 1