Covid-19 crisis: Pattaya lock down decision expected today

webfact

Covid-19 crisis: Pattaya lock down decision expected today

1pm.jpg

Picture: INN

The decision about whether to temporarily lock down Pattaya is expected today. 

INN reported that the details of how it will work remain and these were being assessed yesterday.

Pattaya's mayor Sontaya Khunpluem - kitted out in a face mask - was surveying the area deciding which roads to shut. 

The final say on a raft of measures will be in the hands of the Chonburi governor whose signature is needed.

The media said there are 2,800 foreign residents and tourists in Pattaya. 

Officials have been busy ascertaining where each and every one of them lives. Many are residents. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: INN

The Pattaya Covid-19 site on Facebook suggested that movement within Pattaya will be fine. 

But no one will be allowed in from outside. People employed in the city must have proof from their workplace. The page gave a template for how that might look.

INN suggested that there will be around half a dozen checkpoints sealing off the area. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-07
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont know about others but its getting difficult to keep up with these announcements, I was under the impression Pattaya was already locked down with no in/out travel, checkpoints etc.

The 2,800 foreign residents figure appears to be a little low, there would be 100 just in my condo block in Jomtien.  Some of the big View Talay blocks (there are 10 of them) would have 200-300 foreign residents each.

Perhaps they meant 28,000? Very many from neighbouring countries on construction sites, lots of Chinese, Koreans and Japanese live here for work plus "Western" and Russian residents/retirees. Not that I've counted everyone, mind.

• Like 1

The whole announcement was very short on details. I have a doctor's appointment inside the blocked area on Thursday afternoon. Can I make that? They have blocked all Big C, Lotus and Makro stores. Not much on the dark side because everyone just runs into town. 

• Like 1

By closing off Pattaya, Jomtien, and Naklua, all through traffic on Sukhumvit both north and southbound will be diverted to the small railway bypass to get around the closure all the way from Huay Yai road to Highway 36. Some of it is even single lane due to perpetual incomplete water line construction. Clearly, has nobody thought that this might present a problem stuffing elephants through a keyhole? The only other alternative is to use residential streets, a big loop on the eastern outskirts, or Hwy 331.

• Like 1