BANGKOK
flare

Does anyone know if the US Consulate is still doing passport renewals by mail?

The US Consulate (both in CM and BKK embassy) is closed to non-emergency citizen services, and I need to get my passport renewal started (terrible timing, I know...) Does anyone have any idea if renewals are still being processed by mail as usual?  They aren't answering their phone (except for emergencies), and their email system is backlogged, so I don't know when I'll get a response, and I'd like to get on it this week if possible.  

Any info would be appreciated.

The answer about renewing by mail is a definite yes!  This was told to me by a citizen services officer at the consulate just last month.   Follow the instructions on the Consulate's web site.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Great- thank you both very much.

Posted (edited)

After posting an answer, I saw what I had posted in a previous post. I did not know how to delete the post, so I just edited it with this note. Sorry.

Edited by jonnit
Saw the same answer in previous post.

7 minutes ago, jonnit said:

Passport Services

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. Passport centers have suspended processing and shipping overseas photo-digitized passport (OPDPs) to all U.S. Embassies and Consulates.  As a result, adult passport renewal by mail service has been suspended until further notice.   Please be aware we will not be able to process any mail-in passport applications at this time.  We do still have the ability to produce an emergency photo digitized passport (EPDP) which is valid for one year.  If you have an emergency request, please e-mail [email protected] (Bangkok) OR [email protected] (Chiang Mai).

Thanks for the echo

Three hours ago I received a health alert from the embassy.

Passport Services

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. Passport centers have suspended processing and shipping overseas photo-digitized passport (OPDPs) to all U.S. Embassies and Consulates.  As a result, adult passport renewal by mail service has been suspended until further notice.   Please be aware we will not be able to process any mail-in passport applications at this time.  We do still have the ability to produce an emergency photo digitized passport (EPDP) which is valid for one year.  If you have an emergency request, please e-mail [email protected] (Bangkok) OR [email protected] (Chiang Mai).

rom the embassy.  In that alert it said that 

Well...

Does anybody know if the service will resume no later than the end of June, 2020?

I can wait until June.

But I can't wait until the end of July.

So....what are the odds, please?

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Well...

Does anybody know if the service will resume no later than the end of June, 2020?

I can wait until June.

But I can't wait until the end of July.

So....what are the odds, please?

No date given, but I hope it's sooner than that- this is the text of the email they sent me, which is similar to what's already been posted:

U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai's American Citizen Services (ACS) unit has canceled notarial, non-emergency passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) appointments until further notice.  We will resume routine ACS services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. Beginning today, April 7, the only kind of passport that we would issue is the emergency one-year passport (EPDP).

We would like to reassure you that we will update U.S. citizens on this current situation as quickly as possible, and strongly urge you to refer to our website for the latest updates.   

Well then, what would happen if one cannot get a new passport in time, due to the virus, but needs a new passport in order to apply for a retirement visa extension for a year?

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Well then, what would happen if one cannot get a new passport in time, due to the virus, but needs a new passport in order to apply for a retirement visa extension for a year?

Passports are of little value in the last 6 months of their validity and should be replaced before then.  Common knowledge and potential trouble for those who fail to follow it.

What would happen?  If you did not get a EPDP you rot in the IDC.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Passports are of little value in the last 6 months of their validity and should be replaced before then.  Common knowledge and potential trouble for those who fail to follow it.

Do you have specific sources for this statement for any specific countries ?

~o:37;

2 hours ago, orang37 said:

Do you have specific sources for this statement for any specific countries ?

~o:37;

You can easily find lists of countries that require 6 months passport validity for entry by doing a search.  It is not a new requirement and most of SEA countries have it including Thailand.

many if not most countries do, a few have 3 month requirements

cheers

• Like 2