Does anyone know if the US Consulate is still doing passport renewals by mail?

flare

The US Consulate (both in CM and BKK embassy) is closed to non-emergency citizen services, and I need to get my passport renewal started (terrible timing, I know...) Does anyone have any idea if renewals are still being processed by mail as usual?  They aren't answering their phone (except for emergencies), and their email system is backlogged, so I don't know when I'll get a response, and I'd like to get on it this week if possible.  

Any info would be appreciated.

The answer about renewing by mail is a definite yes!  This was told to me by a citizen services officer at the consulate just last month.   Follow the instructions on the Consulate's web site.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

After posting an answer, I saw what I had posted in a previous post. I did not know how to delete the post, so I just edited it with this note. Sorry.

Edited by jonnit
Saw the same answer in previous post.

7 minutes ago, jonnit said:

Passport Services

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. Passport centers have suspended processing and shipping overseas photo-digitized passport (OPDPs) to all U.S. Embassies and Consulates.  As a result, adult passport renewal by mail service has been suspended until further notice.   Please be aware we will not be able to process any mail-in passport applications at this time.  We do still have the ability to produce an emergency photo digitized passport (EPDP) which is valid for one year.  If you have an emergency request, please e-mail [email protected] (Bangkok) OR [email protected] (Chiang Mai).

Thanks for the echo

Three hours ago I received a health alert from the embassy.

Passport Services

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. Passport centers have suspended processing and shipping overseas photo-digitized passport (OPDPs) to all U.S. Embassies and Consulates.  As a result, adult passport renewal by mail service has been suspended until further notice.   Please be aware we will not be able to process any mail-in passport applications at this time.  We do still have the ability to produce an emergency photo digitized passport (EPDP) which is valid for one year.  If you have an emergency request, please e-mail [email protected] (Bangkok) OR [email protected] (Chiang Mai).

rom the embassy.  In that alert it said that 

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Well...

Does anybody know if the service will resume no later than the end of June, 2020?

I can wait until June.

But I can't wait until the end of July.

So....what are the odds, please?

No date given, but I hope it's sooner than that- this is the text of the email they sent me, which is similar to what's already been posted:

U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai's American Citizen Services (ACS) unit has canceled notarial, non-emergency passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) appointments until further notice.  We will resume routine ACS services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. Beginning today, April 7, the only kind of passport that we would issue is the emergency one-year passport (EPDP).

We would like to reassure you that we will update U.S. citizens on this current situation as quickly as possible, and strongly urge you to refer to our website for the latest updates.   

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Well then, what would happen if one cannot get a new passport in time, due to the virus, but needs a new passport in order to apply for a retirement visa extension for a year?

Passports are of little value in the last 6 months of their validity and should be replaced before then.  Common knowledge and potential trouble for those who fail to follow it.

What would happen?  If you did not get a EPDP you rot in the IDC.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Passports are of little value in the last 6 months of their validity and should be replaced before then.  Common knowledge and potential trouble for those who fail to follow it.

Do you have specific sources for this statement for any specific countries ?

~o:37;

2 hours ago, orang37 said:

Do you have specific sources for this statement for any specific countries ?

You can easily find lists of countries that require 6 months passport validity for entry by doing a search.  It is not a new requirement and most of SEA countries have it including Thailand.

many if not most countries do, a few have 3 month requirements

cheers

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bill97 said:

You can easily find lists of countries that require 6 months passport validity for entry by doing a search.  It is not a new requirement and most of SEA countries have it including Thailand.

So, you claim "Common knowledge," but, somehow you have no specific information, cannot site avsource. Khun Bill, I regret to tell you, we may have to postpone our nuptials.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, orang37 said:

So, you claim "Common knowledge," but, somehow you have no specific information, cannot site avsource. Khun Bill, I regret to tell you, we may have to postpone our nuptials.

I do have specific information.  I told you how to easily find sources.  I searched to confirm they are there.  Frankly I can’t be bothered trying to post one using my phone.  

Yes I claim common knowledge,  people who use their passport for travel know.  

Sad you can not do a simple search to answer your question.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2020 at 5:33 PM, Bill97 said:

many if not most countries do, a few have 3 month requirements

cheers

It has been widely documented here on ThaiVisa that Thailand doesn't have a general 6 month passport validity requirement. For people from most countries your passport only has to be valid for the length of your stay.

• Like 1

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/countries-that-require-six-months-validity-in-a-passport.html

gives a more complete list than Nancy's very nice link above

36 minutes ago, Sophon said:

It has been widely documented here on ThaiVisa that Thailand doesn't have a general 6 month passport validity requirement.

Both Nancy's link and the one above list Thailand as having the 6 month requirement. Other sites also list the Thai 6 month requirement so got to wonder how TV documented to the contrary.

A couple of more websites stating 6 month Thai requirement:

https://www.worldtravelguide.net/guides/asia/thailand/passport-visa/

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/entry-requirements

Is that enough references for you Orang?

edit to add

My travel agent supplied tickets note the 6 month requirement for several SEA countries on the ticket near the top of the tickets.  Scoot tickets note the 6 month requirement for two countries I got tickets for. Air Asia tickets warn you to check passport validity requirements of country you have a flight for.  These notations are not hiding in the small print at the bottom, they are presented clearly and easily found.

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/countries-that-require-six-months-validity-in-a-passport.html

gives a more complete list than Nancy's very nice link above

Both Nancy's link and the one above list Thailand as having the 6 month requirement. Other sites also list the Thai 6 month requirement so got to wonder how TV documented to the contrary.

A couple of more websites stating 6 month Thai requirement:

https://www.worldtravelguide.net/guides/asia/thailand/passport-visa/

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/entry-requirements

Is that enough references for you Orang?

edit to add

My travel agent supplied tickets note the 6 month requirement for several SEA countries on the ticket near the top of the tickets.  Scoot tickets note the 6 month requirement for two countries I got tickets for. Air Asia tickets warn you to check passport validity requirements of country you have a flight for.  These notations are not hiding in the small print at the bottom, they are presented clearly and easily found.

Those websites state the six month requirement for Thailand, because it's true for people from some countries. Thailand doesn't have a "one size fits all" rule, how long your passport has to be valid depend on your nationality.

Here are some of the earlier thread on this subject (there are hundreds):

• Thanks 1

NancyL,

A caveat regarding your source: Business is not "as usual."

Will the current government shutdown affect getting my passport?

No. Despite the current government shutdown, essential services, like passport renewals, are still business as usual. This means you shouldn't have to worry about abnormal delays. A typical passport renewal usually takes 4-6 weeks. We recommend starting the process at least 9 months ahead of time, to be safely ahead of the 6-month mark. If you need your passport in 2-3 weeks or sooner, there are expedited options that will cost an additional $60 and up. 

Business is not as usual.

Edited by Mapguy

On 4/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, Sophon said:

Those websites state the six month requirement for Thailand, because it's true for people from some countries. Thailand doesn't have a "one size fits all" rule, how long your passport has to be valid depend on your nationality.

Here are some of the earlier thread on this subject (there are hundreds):

Thank you.  It is interesting to know that there are some no account ???? countries whose passport holders get an exception.  I'd still recommend 6 months for the flexibility it offers like a side trip to another country or medical evacuations to Singapore.

It defies belief and the laws of common sense that with this virus getting increasingly worse since January that someone who **needs** a valid passport would wait until the last couple of months before expiry to do something about it. And as for whether this will be over by June? Bwahahaha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yme said:

It defies belief and the laws of common sense that with this virus getting increasingly worse since January that someone who **needs** a valid passport would wait until the last couple of months before expiry to do something about it. And as for whether this will be over by June? Bwahahaha. 

I think the OP has more than a year to run on his passport, but like me, he needs to be renewing his within the next couple of months to ensure that when he applies for his 12 month visa extension, he will get the full year, because they only grant it to the expiry date of your passport. A few of us will be panicking if this consular rule lasts for more than six months.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:58 AM, noise said:

The answer about renewing by mail is a definite yes!  This was told to me by a citizen services officer at the consulate just last month.   Follow the instructions on the Consulate's web site.   

U.S. Embassy Bangkok and U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai have suspended routine passport, notarial services and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) services until further notice. However, we remain available for emergency services.  If you have an emergency request, please email [email protected] (Bangkok) or [email protected] (Chiang Mai).

• 2 months later...

Just an update in case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere- mail-in passport renewals at the US Consulate are back on the menu:

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai are now accepting mail-in DS-82 adult passport renewal applications. If you meet the requirements to renew your passport by mail then you are not eligible to schedule an in-person appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. We are currently only  offering limited in-person appointments for individuals who are required to submit a DS-11 passport application (minor applicants, first-time adult, first application after a lost/stolen passport).

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

One last update for anyone wondering if there are any delays in the turnaround time at the moment- I got my new passport (via mail-in renewal, which is still the only way to currently do it) in a very fast 10 days, so the usual '1-2 weeks' estimate hasn't been affected.

• Thanks 1