Some numbers to put things into perspective

Brunolem

36 minutes ago, 2long said:

Except that Thailand was the first country to get reported infections outside of China and that Thailand receives millions of visitors from China, especially in January and February.

So you mean that Thailand is THE special case in the whole world... 

And neighboring countries (Vietnam, Cambodia...) didn't receive lots of Chinese in January and February... 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

So you mean that Thailand is THE special case in the whole world... 

And neighboring countries (Vietnam, Cambodia...) didn't receive lots of Chinese in January and February... 

Vietnam closed its borders on 1 Feb. Quickest to react.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Testing doesn't change the number of deaths...

It does if the death is just put down to heat stroke or a heart attack when in fact it was covid-19. There are a lot of homeless people in BKK and a lot of poor people in huts by the riverside who cares if a poor person is dead, nobody is going to test to find out a reason.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

There are loads of figures out there about people who have contracted the virus and the percentage that have died as a direct result (or as near as can be ascertained) but nowhere have I found that my chance of dying of it here, and by that I mean catching it and then dying from it, are...... what?? 

I was hoping that some mathematician on the thread would be able to answer this for me, but as yet no one has stepped up.

What I'm looking for are the odds of dying from Covid-19 here if I am a normal healthy person. For example, when there is lightning about, folks often say that it's okay to go out in it because the chances of someone dying from being hit by a bolt of lightning are one in 10 million (for example), so that's what I'm looking for with regard to this virus.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It does if the death is just put down to heat stroke or a heart attack when in fact it was covid-19. There are a lot of homeless people in BKK and a lot of poor people in huts by the riverside who cares if a poor person is dead, nobody is going to test to find out a reason.

Are they testing the homeless in other countries? In Los Angeles or in San Francisco, for example?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I was hoping that some mathematician on the thread would be able to answer this for me, but as yet no one has stepped up.

What I'm looking for are the odds of dying from Covid-19 here if I am a normal healthy person. For example, when there is lightning about, folks often say that it's okay to go out in it because the chances of someone dying from being hit by a bolt of lightning are one in 10 million (for example), so that's what I'm looking for with regard to this virus.

Any suggestions?

From the official numbers, the odds are less than one in a million...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Any suggestions?

The odds about the same as the British PM in ICU its the randomness in the virus to kill or not to kill its host that is proving unquantifiable by statistics.???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Long after sars cov 2 dies out and herd immunity makes it a thing of the past the flu will carry on killing 400,000 every year without a single tear being shed by those that say "but this is not the flu it's much worse".

When you look at the graphs I posted above, what do you think? I'm genuinely curious.

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The world is not disintegrating because of Covid, it's because of scaremongering and manipulation...

Do you think these graphs are scaremongering and manipulation? I'm genuinely curious

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1