Electricity Bill Increase

mcmco

Did anyone else notice their electric bill from MEA increase noticeably this month? Mine increased by over 1,000 baht with no real change in electric usage in my home. Few of my neighbors have noticed the same thing.

You have used more electric I suspect - just as I have.  My bill is also about 1,000 baht higher but kwh is about 230 higher (check the kwh on your bills).

It is the hot season and we (now including children) are all staying in home so ac is often running more than a normal year.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

Zero indication of any rise in price structure.

There is even a plan to reduce the bill by 3% in the near future as a welfare measure.

Check your bills, usage, total price.

21 minutes ago, dddave said:

The usage report revealed a meter read error. 

Of course such can happen but the OP insists on "no real change in electric usage".

What does "electric usage" stand for?

Your impression or the numbers on the bills (units used last month vs. this month)?

If this usage spiked you can double check the meter reading and complain.

Our bill from February was the lowest in six months.

The bill for March has risen more than 50%.

And I know why.

And the next bill will not cheer me up for obvious reasons.

(at 38 to 40 C even I will not live without AC)

Our billing cycle centres on the17th of each month, even with 10 days to go we have already exceeded last month's usage (last bill 1026 units, this month 1041 units to date). 

The reason, I'm working from home and so have the office aircon on during the day. On a plus note, I'm not shelling for fuel and road tolls.

Yes, I'm sad enough that I monitor these things (ok a bit of DIY electronics does). 

It's nice to see that our bill would be about 1100 Baht more if we didn't have our small solar installation (definitely should have installed more solar). 

1119, 1277, 1409 THB..Jan, Feb, March...last year, Feb was 1950, and that prompted me to replace the 15 year old at with a Carrier Inverter, 17000 btu.  Use it pretty much 24/7..on 26c, unlike before when  I always turned it off when leaving and would try to sleep without it..high floor west facing condo in BKK.  Replaced the air leaking can lights, too..that was fifty bucks well spent, even if I rarely turn on the lights, I don't want to aircondition the dead space above the ceiling.  

Edited by moontang

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Your cold air rises?  ????

If you can't understand how not having a sealed ceiling deck will waste energy, I can only refer you to Special Education classes.  Obviously, you weren't able to see the massive energy savings.

6 hours ago, mcmco said:

Did anyone else notice their electric bill from MEA increase noticeably this month? Mine increased by over 1,000 baht with no real change in electric usage in my home. Few of my neighbors have noticed the same thing.

Your bill is itemised if you get it direct from the MEA, number of units used, rate per unit, VAT etc. so it's very easy to check, they don't just pick a figure out of the air!  You can see if there are any changes since the last bill and If you get a calculator out you can check that the MEA's computer computed correctly.  If it's wrong just contact them.  If the rates haven't changed then you must have used more electricity.

• Like 1

As an expat that's been living in Thailand for the past 16 years I can say that every year March and April are the highest electric bill for everyone in Thailand, I would think its because its the hottest months of the year but who knows.