Restricting non-residents from a condo

brucec64

I'm on my condo committee and we have been dealing with making some hard decisions during this pandemic. Several of the residents are pushing to restrict non-residents from entering the building until the situation improves. Does anyone have a similar experience with their building? What measures were taken to limit traffic into the building?

why are non-residents trouble to begin with? they shouldn't be unaccompanied by residents anyway, and if they are accompanied, you have no legal rights to prevent residents from having guests over.

the best you could do is restrict delivery people to stand outside and not enter the common area.

for workers like maintenance repair, air-con cleaning make co-owners jump through hoops like admitting the workers with prior appointment only and asking co-owners to limit non essential maintenance work.

obvious agents showing rooms shouldn't even be a problem during this time  

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

So basically they're afraid of the working girls visiting all the punters locked up in their apartments and bringing in corona? It's a very legit concern. 

Never thought of it that way.  During normal times you can not get into my condo's lobby without a key card, or the door man letting you in.  You would then fill in a register if your a guest, and the resident has to come and get you.  The next sliding glass doors are also key carded, and then so is the elevator to get up to my floor.....it was a pain in the ass when I moved in, but then I am used to it now.

Edited by ThailandRyan

I read somewhere that condos are responding to instructions handed down by the Chonburi Governor, who has no doubt had his own orders from above.

Any tryst will be limited to an al fresco knee trembler before the curfew begins. Wine and roses will have to wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

just like many condos, if there are no rules about visitors or guests, there could be unlimited amounts of people hanging out there.  When most people rented or bought a unit, they had some expectation of reasonableness, and not ten people, not every cousin and in law moving in, etc.  All that is besides any issues with virus

• Like 2

14 hours ago, digbeth said:

why are non-residents trouble to begin with? they shouldn't be unaccompanied by residents anyway, and if they are accompanied, you have no legal rights to prevent residents from having guests over.

Perplexed by this post in the present circumstances. We are in an environment of enforced social distancing and lock-down, in an effort to stop an infection rampaging through the country. That would include the condo building, which of course, in reality, could also be locked down as an entity. Legal don't count once a State of Emergency is declared.  

Having your neighbour bring the 'bike from the beach' into the lift as you go up isn't isolation, nor allowing AirBnBs coming and going from heaven knows where. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

as of the beginning of March Non Residents were not allowed into the building I live in.  Only Residents, and every time we leave and then re-enter our temperatures are checked.  We must also wear a mask when outside of our units, and the elevator floors have been taped and broken into 4 quadrants for you to stand in, 1 per quadrant.  Each elevator also has two bottles of hand sanitizer inside on opposite walls, and at the separation line for those quadrants. Deliveries are taken at the front steps for the condo, which has a table set up, this is for all items, mail and such, including food deliveries.  The juristic office then takes control of the mail and such while the grab rider or food panda driver or Big C, or Tesco, or well you get it, wait for us to meet them and pick up our orders.  The issue at hand, as it was explained to all of us, is that they do not know these people and for the safety of the other residents it is not the right time to have non-residents visit

You might not know this but what happens to a resident who has a high temperature? Call the police? Throw then out on the street?

It is a government mandated order to restrict all non essential persons from entering the premisses including workmen to carry out renovations,

and BTW to the OP, being on a committee is considered as work nevermind if you get paid or not, so unless a foreigner has a work permit they're risking having an issues with immigration...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issue at hand, as it was explained to all of us, is that they do not know these people and for the safety of the other residents it is not the right time to have non-residents visit

because obviously any  residents  could never  get infected themselves, no  logic as  far as  im concerned. You  cannot control the people residents  see OUTSIDE  the building daily, anyone of those could be infected and then its  brought back to the building by the resident, typical example would be any food  seller  nearby gets infected, condo residents  all buy food, result infection spreads thru building.  Waste of time as usual and even more hysteria

Edited by Chazar

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

It is a government mandated order to restrict all non essential persons from entering the premisses including workmen to carry out renovations,

and BTW to the OP, being on a committee is considered as work nevermind if you get paid or not, so unless a foreigner has a work permit they're risking having an issues with immigration...

Complete nonsense. Most high value condominiums in Bangkok have expats in their committee. Never heard of anyone being arrested, jailed or deported.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You might not know this but what happens to a resident who has a high temperature? Call the police? Throw then out on the street?

I would like to think they would contact the proper folks to have come take a look at you, and of course ensure you isolate yourself in your room.  Kind of important for the building folks to know if there is a case, even though they should not know who it is, in order to take additional steps as necessary.  But then what do I know.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would like to think they would contact the proper folks to have come take a look at you, and of course ensure you isolate yourself in your room.  Kind of important for the building folks to know if there is a case, even though they should not know who it is, in order to take additional steps as necessary.  But then what do I know.

Would they not figure out who it was when " the proper folks " come to have a look?

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

as of the beginning of March Non Residents were not allowed into the building I live in.  Only Residents, and every time we leave and then re-enter our temperatures are checked.  We must also wear a mask when outside of our units, and the elevator floors have been taped and broken into 4 quadrants for you to stand in, 1 per quadrant.  Each elevator also has two bottles of hand sanitizer inside on opposite walls, and at the separation line for those quadrants. Deliveries are taken at the front steps for the condo, which has a table set up, this is for all items, mail and such, including food deliveries.  The juristic office then takes control of the mail and such while the grab rider or food panda driver or Big C, or Tesco, or well you get it, wait for us to meet them and pick up our orders.  The issue at hand, as it was explained to all of us, is that they do not know these people and for the safety of the other residents it is not the right time to have non-residents visit

it is illegal

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alyx said:

it is illegal

I guess your view is different then everyone in my building,you must be a Rhodes scholar, and legal expert.  Safety first, foremost and always. Thank god my building has its own diesel generators for power should that be lost, plenty of water tanks on the roof in storage rooms, and there is no basement level in case of a flood.  Forward thinking is better than a building that does not social distance and the residents are treated as only ants...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, saakura said:

Complete nonsense. Most high value condominiums in Bangkok have expats in their committee. Never heard of anyone being arrested, jailed or deported.

hum...I think that I would put it this way: it is not because you haven't heard of it or because it hasn't been enforced, that it makes it untrue. (sorry about the double negative, I know some of you hate it ???? )

I believe Ezra is right (

)

15 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Would they not figure out who it was when " the proper folks " come to have a look?

Even if they did, or we did, I am sure everyone would be more than helpful to the individual/s in there time of need and do what they could to help instead of panic unnecessarily.  So many negative people in the world, life must not be too happy for some I guess.  Enjoy what you have, make the best of it, no one has chosen what we have been dealt.  

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I guess your view is different then everyone in my building,you must be a Rhodes scholar, and legal expert.  Safety first, foremost and always. Thank god my building has its own diesel generators for power should that be lost, plenty of water tanks on the roof in storage rooms, and there is no basement level in case of a flood.  Forward thinking is better than a building that does not social distance and the residents are treated as only ants...

Well, put it this way: the Government has "advised" (very strongly) to refrain from any movement, yet, it is not a curfew nor quarantine. Step taken by your juristic will prevent close relatives or friends from visiting...I do not need to be a scholar to tell you that this is illegal and action can be taken 

Not saying that it is the right or the wrong decision....just that it is not legal and that answers the OP's question which is not about what should be done from a common sense point of view, but from the legal point of view.

Edited by alyx
Completed my comment: two last lines
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Even if they did, or we did, I am sure everyone would be more than helpful to the individual/s in there time of need and do what they could to help instead of panic unnecessarily.  So many negative people in the world, life must not be too happy for some I guess.  Enjoy what you have, make the best of it, no one has chosen what we have been dealt.  

You're sure in this time of pandemic and fear everyone would be willing to help, i don't share your optimism.

1 minute ago, alyx said:

Well, put it this way: the Government has "advised" (very strongly) to refrain from any movement, yet, it is not a curfew nor quarantine. Step taken by your juristic will prevent close relatives or friends from visiting...I do not need to be a scholar to tell you that this is illegal and action can be taken 

Not saying that it is the right or the wrong decision....just that it is not legal

You are right of course the committee do not have that power. They can request of course.

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

You are right of course the committee do not have that power. They can request of course.

5 minutes ago, alyx said:

Not saying that it is the right or the wrong decision....just that it is not legal and that answers the OP's question which is not about what should be done from a common sense point of view, but from the legal point of view.

Why would you want a close friend or relative to visit you during this time of social distancing, and the possibility of one or the other being an asymptomatic carrier and possibly spreading the virus, even though they show no symptoms.  I would wholeheartedly agree with you if these were normal times, but they are not.  Everyone has had certain liberties, wherever you are, taken away.  To say these are normal everyday times is not appropriate.  If you want to socialize with your friends and family then meet them out in the open, but not inside a building where others who live could be possibly exposed in that location.  Does that make sense or not.....You want to have a dinner party with 10 guests and party all night, be my guest, but standby to be splayed across the news as an uncaring individual at this point in time.  Common Sense goes a long way, but then there are always a few..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why would you want a close friend or relative to visit you during this time of social distancing, and the possibility of one or the other being an asymptomatic carrier and possibly spreading the virus, even though they show no symptoms.  I would wholeheartedly agree with you if these were normal times, but they are not.  Everyone has had certain liberties, wherever you are, taken away.  To say these are normal everyday times is not appropriate.  If you want to socialize with your friends and family then meet them out in the open, but not inside a building where others who live could be possibly exposed in that location.  Does that make sense or not.....You want to have a dinner party with 10 guests and party all night, be my guest, but standby to be splayed across the news as an uncaring individual at this point in time.  Common Sense goes a long way, but then there are always a few..

Again, it is not what you want, or feel is common sense, which is at stake.

The juristic has not right  to bar the residents or their guests from entering the premises (of course if one has symptoms ...this is a different matter and I absolutely do not know what should be done ).

Of course, if there are evidences that parties are going on or endangering behavior is taking place, then one could resort to take the matter to the Police.

One thing is legal: forbid entering (and exiting I guess) the premises to anyone during curfew.

I am not arguing wether you are correct or mistaken: Just answering the question by the OP

Decisions have to be made individually for the greater good of the People but....as you know, human beings  tend to be selfish (understatement and definitely not exhaustive a list ???? ) especially in times of crisis