Thai schools set to remain closed until July - online learning if Covid-19 situation does not improve

webfact

Thai schools set to remain closed until July - online learning if Covid-19 situation does not improve

11pm.jpg

There was bad news for parents in isolation with their children during the long Thai school holidays.

TNN reported that a decision is expected today that will see Thai schools remain shut for six weeks longer than scheduled. 

This will mean parents will need to be looking after their children 24/7 for at least four months since school broke up in late February, early March. 

The schools should all be opening in May but the education minister is recommending to the government that they remain shut until July 1st. 

Testing for P1, M1 and M4 entrance will take place in June if possible. 

Nataphol Teepsuwan said that it was necessary to delay the start of term by at least six weeks due to the current Covid-19 situation. 

One of the ideas being considered is to cancel the October holidays for children to make up the time. 

This could mean an eight month "mega term" with just a New Year break to split it up, notes Thaivisa.

If by July the situation has not improved a system of online learning will be introduced with primary school children learning in one way and secondary children having two learning options. 

Full details are expected to be announced after a meeting today. 

Source: TNN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-07
  • Haha 1

Sensible. But some thought needs to be applied in regards to assessment methods, plagiarism, and just general daily interactions.

Online teaching to large groups is troublesome at the best of times.

I just wonder why they're saying July. Seems at odds with the trends that the government are giving with regards to numbers of infected / dying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BobbyL said:

With the gradual reduction in cases and the measures already in place it does seem strange to suggest such a long delay. The international school where I work starts term 3 on April 20th and we already know we are closed until May and therefore still teaching online. However, the school have already began planning ways to open again (e.g - students have alternate days in school such as Y1, Y3 and Y5 are in on Monday, Y2, Y4, and Y6 are in on Tuesday and so on). These ideas are being used in other countries like Taiwan and planning to be used in Japan and South Korea soon. 

If the spread of the disease looks like it is under control (to a certain extent) then the country has start going gradually again. Places like schools, shops, restaurants etc cannot remain closed for another 2 - 3 months. 

That isn't viable for families with children of different ages, certainly won't stop the spread as if one family member attends everyday is there any difference also presumably all the teachers and staff won't albe able to alternate.

12 weeks here in China and still not opened.

Parents get angry, frustrated and will complain. They will have to look after their children and get use to supporting them.

It is a very challenging time everyone and will get worse as schools stay closed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, stament said:

That isn't viable for families with children of different ages, certainly won't stop the spread as if one family member attends everyday is there any difference also presumably all the teachers and staff won't albe able to alternate.

Well, it is definitely a better option than say having all the children at home trying to do remote learning whilst the parents / nanny have to look after them all. For example, a parent taking their Y3 child to school on Monday whilst their other child who is in Y4 stays at home doing online learning seems a good option for them IMO. 

For us as teachers, it was mentioned we would be in school on the days our class are in and then teach online from home to them the other days like we have been doing the last few weeks. I have no issues with that approach. Outclass teachers (music, art, PE, Thai and Mandarin) are the only ones who would need their timetables slightly modified as they do teach different classes in each year group. 

I agree it may not have an impact on controlling the spread, I guess we have to hope that is as controlled as it can be by then. Restricting movement and definitely tourists from entering is something that shouldn't be stopped any time soon. 

11 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

12 weeks here in China and still not opened.

Parents get angry, frustrated and will complain. They will have to look after their children and get use to supporting them.

It is a very challenging time everyone and will get worse as schools stay closed.

Ironic, because as I understand it, homeschooling is normally illegal in China. They might want to consider changing that law.

18 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

With the gradual reduction in cases and the measures already in place it does seem strange to suggest such a long delay. The international school where I work starts term 3 on April 20th and we already know we are closed until May and therefore still teaching online. However, the school have already began planning ways to open again (e.g - students have alternate days in school such as Y1, Y3 and Y5 are in on Monday, Y2, Y4, and Y6 are in on Tuesday and so on). These ideas are being used in other countries like Taiwan and planning to be used in Japan and South Korea soon. 

If the spread of the disease looks like it is under control (to a certain extent) then the country has start going gradually again. Places like schools, shops, restaurants etc cannot remain closed for another 2 - 3 months. 

Schools were closed for several months back in 2011 due to the flooding situation so this isn't unprecedented. 

It makes sense that they will wait until cases are more or less nil to open the vast majority of schools in this country. Schools are easily the most susceptible to the spread of disease and with many elderly living in the same home, erring on the side of caution is best.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Ironic, because as I understand it, homeschooling is normally illegal in China. They might want to consider changing that law.

Ironic or not this is the reality. International schools, Bi-lingual schools, private schools all closed.

My point is that Thailand is still relatively new into the schools closed and doing E Learning.

A long way to go and a lot more anger and frustrations are still on the way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

Schools were closed for several months back in 2011 due to the flooding situation so this isn't unprecedented. 

I agree with this to some extent. Technology has changed and made E learning a more productive opportunity and an alternative.

Many schools had to close when there was no threat of water in Bangkok (no political motives there).

4 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

Schools are easily the most susceptible to the spread of disease and with many elderly living in the same home, erring on the side of caution is best.

This is definitely the case, so as hard as it is keeping schools closed is the safest to protect young children.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

It makes sense that they will wait until cases are more or less nil to open the vast majority of schools in this country. Schools are easily the most susceptible to the spread of disease and with many elderly living in the same home, erring on the side of caution is best.

Plus getting all school kids to practice social distancing would be impossible, and without it we quickly go back to easy regular spread of the virus.  

45 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

online learning wouldn't work even if students were given free broadband and a free computer

I most certainly agree with this, free tablets, with broadband might work for the parents to sell them and get the latest and greatest cell phone, but then maybe they will teach them through smoke signals.......

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

schools set to remain closed until July - online learning if Covid-19 situation does not improve

On another thread it is stated that known cases are coming down .. If that's so why the apprehension about things not improving over the next 3 months with schools remaining closed .. Touch OTT for an admin' that claim's cases are coming down .? 

26 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Well, it is definitely a better option than say having all the children at home trying to do remote learning whilst the parents / nanny have to look after them all. For example, a parent taking their Y3 child to school on Monday whilst their other child who is in Y4 stays at home doing online learning seems a good option for them IMO.  

Good point, unfortunately there is no ideal scenario, some options will better suit some people, whilst others will better suit other people.

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I most certainly agree with this, free tablets, with broadband might work for the parents to sell them and get the latest and greatest cell phone, but then maybe they will teach them through smoke signals.......

I think it works best with older more mature kids who require less supervision compared to younger ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thenoilif said:

The other problem with Thai schools at the mid to low price range is that they are also day care for the parents.  Therfore no matter if the kid is sick or not they still send them to school.  Kids especially in Pratom have no idea about health and the proper way to do things or not touching.    I can understand this as a problem.  Will be intersting to see what the private tutors do it is a good chance for them to make a lot of money

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Schools closed until july? S++t means i have to put up with my wife nagging me till july.

Gawd thats enough to drive me back to drink.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Who are you married to? High school, secondary school or, God forbid, primary school student? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stament said:

Agree particularly for the young ones. Also some families with multiple children will need to buy extra IT equipment so hopefully a reduction in school fees will help compensate. 

Yep, its really difficult with young kids and teaching them online, they dont have the attention span to sit there for long enough.

Been there done that. Not again. Thanks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Schools closed until july? S++t means i have to put up with my wife nagging me till july.

Gawd thats enough to drive me back to drink.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Now, now, drunk driving is no way to go, and for you, that will pretty much be always. 

Move away from the beer. ????

• Haha 1