BANGKOK
webfact

Thai schools set to remain closed until July - online learning if Covid-19 situation does not improve

2 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

Schools were closed for several months back in 2011 due to the flooding situation so this isn't unprecedented. 

I agree with this to some extent. Technology has changed and made E learning a more productive opportunity and an alternative.

Many schools had to close when there was no threat of water in Bangkok (no political motives there).

4 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

Schools are easily the most susceptible to the spread of disease and with many elderly living in the same home, erring on the side of caution is best.

This is definitely the case, so as hard as it is keeping schools closed is the safest to protect young children.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

Schools were closed for several months back in 2011 due to the flooding situation so this isn't unprecedented. 

It makes sense that they will wait until cases are more or less nil to open the vast majority of schools in this country. Schools are easily the most susceptible to the spread of disease and with many elderly living in the same home, erring on the side of caution is best.

Plus getting all school kids to practice social distancing would be impossible, and without it we quickly go back to easy regular spread of the virus.  

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

online learning wouldn't work even if students were given free broadband and a free computer

I most certainly agree with this, free tablets, with broadband might work for the parents to sell them and get the latest and greatest cell phone, but then maybe they will teach them through smoke signals.......

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

schools set to remain closed until July - online learning if Covid-19 situation does not improve

On another thread it is stated that known cases are coming down .. If that's so why the apprehension about things not improving over the next 3 months with schools remaining closed .. Touch OTT for an admin' that claim's cases are coming down .? 

26 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Well, it is definitely a better option than say having all the children at home trying to do remote learning whilst the parents / nanny have to look after them all. For example, a parent taking their Y3 child to school on Monday whilst their other child who is in Y4 stays at home doing online learning seems a good option for them IMO.  

Good point, unfortunately there is no ideal scenario, some options will better suit some people, whilst others will better suit other people.

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I most certainly agree with this, free tablets, with broadband might work for the parents to sell them and get the latest and greatest cell phone, but then maybe they will teach them through smoke signals.......

I think it works best with older more mature kids who require less supervision compared to younger ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Borzandy said:

It's not a huge problem even at school Thais don't study anything.

And even if they don't, and they fail, they still pass...

Welcome to Thailand.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thenoilif said:

It makes sense that they will wait until cases are more or less nil to open the vast majority of schools in this country. Schools are easily the most susceptible to the spread of disease and with many elderly living in the same home, erring on the side of caution is best.

The other problem with Thai schools at the mid to low price range is that they are also day care for the parents.  Therfore no matter if the kid is sick or not they still send them to school.  Kids especially in Pratom have no idea about health and the proper way to do things or not touching.    I can understand this as a problem.  Will be intersting to see what the private tutors do it is a good chance for them to make a lot of money

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Schools closed until july? S++t means i have to put up with my wife nagging me till july.

Gawd thats enough to drive me back to drink.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Who are you married to? High school, secondary school or, God forbid, primary school student? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stament said:

Agree particularly for the young ones. Also some families with multiple children will need to buy extra IT equipment so hopefully a reduction in school fees will help compensate. 

Yep, its really difficult with young kids and teaching them online, they dont have the attention span to sit there for long enough.

Been there done that. Not again. Thanks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Schools closed until july? S++t means i have to put up with my wife nagging me till july.

Gawd thats enough to drive me back to drink.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Now, now, drunk driving is no way to go, and for you, that will pretty much be always. 

Move away from the beer. 🙂

• Haha 1