Who's still getting out to ride their bike?

5 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

He means the roads are too hot for the virus to survive long term. Means spraying the roads with disinfectant is a waste of resources. Save your disinfectant for surfaces indoors and things like doors, door handles and other things that people are likely to touch. How many drop onto the road asphalt to do push-ups and burn their hands. 

It seems that governments are trying anything because they just don't know what to do anymore. I also read an article: "Is the coronavirus airborne? Experts can’t agree."

I don't dare riding my bike... mainly afraid to make my wife ill if I catch the virus.

Since Summer heat is here I haven't been including my 3 days a week biking from Saraphi to Lamphun. I had to stop my daily walks at the park as the Police closed it. Changed the routine to early morning walks in the boondocks in Saraphi. Just finished walking the length of Japan since tracking my Fit2 Son gave me his first Fit2 in June when he upgraded. Staying healthy and happy in Thailand 5 years. 

• Like 2

"I've had a couple of instances where a rider has tucked in behind me when I have overtaken them, in each case I have pulled over, let them pass and taken the first alternative route to avoid them doing it again"

A bit odd that.

I cycle 4-5 times a week, a group is better than on your own as you go faster and you get pushed. On your own is too easy. Plus it's more social.

Tomorrow we can no longer cross over the darkside in Pattaya so that restricts a lot of rides so we'll switch to mainly Pratamak hill area for a few weeks.

i used a mask for the first time today, impossible to wear on long climbs

Edited by scubascuba3

7 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Will you remember this the next time your running around doing shopping and other things ?

Or does this not apply to you ? 

Essential travel only is the request pretty much worldwide, i sincerely hope you or a loved one does not have an accident to find that the necessary health staff to take care of them are not in isolation due to a selfish act from another who chooses this request does not apply to them.

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, frequentatore said:

Published 3 weeks ago: The Royal Thai Army this morning began spraying roads in Bangkok with disinfectant to combat the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus . the Royal Thai Army units have been deployed to carry out the daily cleaning from 1am to 5am until the end of March.

Other countries do the same. Search YouTube: truck spraying

I'm wondering if the virus is in the air and if it's completely safe to ride a bike in BKK (with a mask). Some countries have banned cycling.

Interesting as I thought the heat of the sun would kill it. I suppose I should read up on it..ehhh

12 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I try to minimise the risk of a serious accident by cycling to the shops, instead of driving.  Motorists kill a lot of people; cyclists very few.  We can all do our bit. And it's probably good to stay healthy, if you can,

In my opinium, the bigest problems for the cyclist are the dogs on the streets, not only the "streetdogs", it happens me now 2 times they try to attack me, with the result that I fell off my bike.

But it can get worse when a car is approaching, I am most afraid of that.

To protect myself, I have an bottle with concentrated vinigar, what I can use in an case a dog try to attack me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, kurtcap said:

Essential travel only is the request pretty much worldwide, i sincerely hope you or a loved one does not have an accident to find that the necessary health staff to take care of them are not in isolation due to a selfish act from another who chooses this request does not apply to them.

You seem to be assuming that someone is more likely to have an accident while out cycling than while staying at home. Do you have any evidence to support that assumption? 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"I've had a couple of instances where a rider has tucked in behind me when I have overtaken them, in each case I have pulled over, let them pass and taken the first alternative route to avoid them doing it again"

A bit odd that.

I cycle 4-5 times a week, a group is better than on your own as you go faster and you get pushed. On your own is too easy. Plus it's more social.

Tomorrow we can no longer cross over the darkside in Pattaya so that restricts a lot of rides so we'll switch to mainly Pratamak hill area for a few weeks.

i used a mask for the first time today, impossible to wear on long climbs

Yeah, no Sh*T on the mask bein' detrimental on those loooong climbs :blink:

On 4/8/2020 at 3:42 PM, thecyclist said:

Probably coming from an obese couch potato :there is probably no better way to containment than to ride by yourself through the jungle as you automatically practice social distancing, the exercise and the mood elevation (exercise is the best medicine against depression) will boost your immune system. Close the gyms, yoga classes, massage places (traditional and 'Thai style), but it serves no purpose, ultimately counterproductive to ban people from going out for a jog, a walk, a bike ride alone or with family members /roommates. No picnics, sitting around in parks,  keep moving on deserted roads, a wide  berth around other bikers or joggers, if you encounter any. 

Spot-on! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, n210mp said:

To all that are still going out on their bikes you lucky buggers, GREAT!!!!!!!!

A few weeks ago I  fell off a water tank whilst repairing a  broken ballcock and did some serious   damage to my right leg, knee  and tendons , just when I was just getting over that and doing a few 10/15k rides  trying to get some level of fitness back on the bike and  was lifting a bottle of 25 litres of water on my shoulders   tore a muscle in my chest (Extremely painful especially when breathing or laying down to sleep)

So now in my 76 year and not giving in to illness,  old age,  decomposition  and the couch, I am doing a daily early morning walk of  at least 4/5Ks until I can get back on the bike and regain some level of sanity 

SA_PROFILE_CACHE.jpg

Yes, that’s the spirit: ‘Don’t Let The Old Man In’????????

(From Clint Eastwood’s movie ‘The Mule’)

Edited by damascase
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, JungleBiker said:

You seem to be assuming that someone is more likely to have an accident while out cycling than while staying at home. Do you have any evidence to support that assumption? 

Assuming? Are you unaware of the amount of accidents on thailands roads?

51 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Been there and got the T-shirt. I broke bones in an accident a year ago, it took a long time to get back up to fitness. 

One thing I have found that helps me is yoga. See if you can find a class for beginners and take it steady to start with, if not have a look on the internet for some online tutorials. Yoga can improve flexibility, core strength, balance breathing all hugely beneficial to our health as we age.

Good look with your recovery - looking good for 76.   

Hi Chomper (WoW!!! what a name  and when tied in with the last name  Higgot, well we just have to have a meet up and share some tall stories  hahaha 

Thanks for the suggestion of the Yoga but I did try it one time when I was in a situation where I had no control other than in my own personal body space  (You will have to think that one out)  it didn't work for me, being  87Ks  5' 4" and an  ex Juvenile powerlifting champion my body was too burnt out and stiff to contort to the Yoga positions demanded by my yoga  instructor at that time  

• Like 1

The governments, countries, and places I'm familiar with have all said "continue exercising." In the Chiang Mai area the roads are still open and, with less traffic, better than ever. climbing and descending Doi Suthep is not the risk it usually is. The big group rides with 50+ riders have been canceled but hundreds of Thais are out on their bikes every day.
Social distancing seems to have peaked a few days ago so even when I'm out riding with a few friends, we're further apart than the Thais I've seen at several gatherings this week. I don't wear a mask when I'm riding hard but do so the rest of the time whenever I'm out, with a bike or not. Proper mask wearing seems to be a thing of the past too. More than half of the vendors at my local market weren't wearing them properly tonight, just covering their mouth and not covering their nose, or just wearing it on their chin.
If Chiang Mai has an uptick in the number of cases it won't be because I'm out riding.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, el jefe said:

The governments, countries, and places I'm familiar with have all said "continue exercising." In the Chiang Mai area the roads are still open and, with less traffic, better than ever. climbing and descending Doi Suthep is not the risk it usually is. The big group rides with 50+ riders have been canceled but hundreds of Thais are out on their bikes every day.
Social distancing seems to have peaked a few days ago so even when I'm out riding with a few friends, we're further apart than the Thais I've seen at several gatherings this week. I don't wear a mask when I'm riding hard but do so the rest of the time whenever I'm out, with a bike or not. Proper mask wearing seems to be a thing of the past too. More than half of the vendors at my local market weren't wearing them properly tonight, just covering their mouth and not covering their nose, or just wearing it on their chin.
If Chiang Mai has an uptick in the number of cases it won't be because I'm out riding.

I thought the traffic was heavier today than previously.  In Malaysia, I think that the government is trating this as a practice for when they abandon democracy and impose a police state, so they are seeing what people will put up with.  At the moment there are selective road closures which don't actually prevent you from going anywhere, but make it much less convenient - and as a cyclist, you never know when your chosen road might be closed and you'll be forced onto a much busier, less safe road.

SC

• Like 1

I've been doing a few local mtb's in the hills. Just wearing a buff as a 'mask' for the first road km to/from. Now limited by sub-district restrictions, but the boundaries and checkpoints aren't to be found in the jungle and I rarely see another human. Yes, there's a risk of injury, however probably no more than from the shonky DIY I've been doing at home!

Was doing some road riding, but suspect the idea of being in the turbulent efflux of pelotons of scooter riders or groups crammed in the back of trucks etc may not be optimal right now.

Stay safe and healthy!

• Like 2