Who's still getting out to ride their bike?

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

One of those with a flat bar would be alright.

He's got the brake extenders on the handlebar; I don't know how good they are - they're different from the brake extenders I had back in the day on my Halfords Olympic 10, which were great for subtle modulation of your speed, but a complete waste of time for stopping in the rain.

You can see he's tilted his bars round to bring the hoods up and closer to him, to reduce the reach a little bit, and avoid the feeling of being in danger of slipping over the hoods.

I saw this budget beauty (I've never said that outside Nana Plaza before) when I was getting my bike serviced
IMG_1238.thumb.JPG.99eafdd89baad4170360bbf98154d6b8.JPGIMG_1240.thumb.JPG.ad918e2b467cb6b1f1aba0c7ca240120.JPG

I should have taken a better picture of the rear rack, which looks like it would take a keg and pump, let alone two crates of beer.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I love the sweep of the top tube into the chain stays of the Anyroad; I also like the brake repeaters on the handlebar.  I was going to get one, but it was getting near to Christmas, and they had no L in stock.

it's not that great a bike, a bit too heavy and the bottom bracket 3x changer is poorly designed, chain can fall off and get trapped. So not that great for hill climbs, fine on the flat. The rear forks have only got enough clearance for a 35mm tire which is a bit of a pain.

The brake extenders are standard, all I've modified was adding the split seat, changing the tires from 32/32 to 42/35 and tilting the bars for some added comfort. Looks very pretty though.

Edited by BritManToo

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

it's not that great a bike, a bit too heavy and the bottom bracket 3x changer is poorly designed, chain can fall off and get trapped. So not that great for hill climbs, fine on the flat. The rear forks have only got enough clearance for a 35mm tire which is a bit of a pain.

The brake extenders are standard, all I've modified was adding the split seat, changing the tires from 32/32 to 42/35 and tilting the bars for some added comfort. Looks very pretty though.

I think I concluded that the chain fell off because I was changing gear front and back at the same time, towards the small front cog.  The chain can catch on the studs or bolts that hold the chain ring, and you can't get it back on when you're moving; inconvenient when you've just swung across to the central reservation kerb on a fast road.

But with three chain rings you should be laughing going up the hills - or at least smugly grinning to your self.

• Like 2

If your chain is coming off when changing gears, you just need to adjust the limit screws on your derailleur. It's a 1 minute job. Check on YouTube for a how-to.

Your front derailleur is a Shimano Sora I believe, the same as mine but yours is 10 years newer. Shift to the smallest cog, then use a screwdriver to turn the L screw (the lower one nearer the bottom bracket) clockwise a turn or two, you should see the cage move away from the bike. You want to limit the inward movement enough so that it can't throw the chain off the chainring, but not so much that it stops you being able to shift into the smallest cog.

The Giant Anyroad is a bit heavier than a pure road bike because it's designed to be able to handle gravel paths and footpaths as well as tarmac, so the frame and wheels will be a bit tougher, with wider, heavier tyres. So the Sora model comes in at about 10.5kg when a similarly priced road bike would probably be under 9kg.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, Ventenio said:

And less time on the road with cars.  If you want to just pedal around, i think that's way more dangerous.  consider walking.  and if you want to go slow, consider running.    had probably almost 10 acquaintances DIE from cycling-related injuries.  None from running-related.  

I live where we can ride out our front door and go in a few directions with very very little traffic.

I would never ride again in or near a city.    We also walk .   

• Like 1

Just now, SteveK said:

f you are willing to build up slowly I am 99% sure you can do that 50km in 6 weeks or less. Just find a landmark that is 25km away and focus on getting there, then you've got no option but to ride home and boom there's your 50km. Just take it 1km at a time, a keep a record so you can see how far you have come.

Much more than 20Km/day makes my bum hurt.

So I just do the 20Km.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Much more than 20Km/day makes my bum hurt.

So I just do the 20Km.

If you are still using the original Giant saddle, I'm not surprised, they are built to meet a price point. There are some things you can do though:

1. Replace your seat post with a carbon one. Carbon fibre absorbs vibrations better and will probably save you 100-150g on your bike. Yours takes the same diameter post as mine, 30.8mm. They don't cost a fortune: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/oem-ultra-light-connector-seatpost-rod-254-272-308-316-i661800706-s1290622615.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.45.6a1770ca9BCgkR&search=1

2. Get a saddle with an ergonomic groove down the middle, takes the pressure off the ballsack and soft tissues: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/rockbros-road-mountain-mtb-gel-comfort-saddle-bike-bicycle-cycling-seat-cushion-pad-black-i337528385-s653210674.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.368321dcLSj2o7&search=1

3. Use cycling shorts with a padded insert, makes a huge difference. Personally I don't want to wear lycra so you can buy padded underwear: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/new-bike-cycling-bicycle-short-pant-underwear-short-3d-gel-pad-7-layers-sports-gym-i254073649-s392186522.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.10.36706662rjhgyj&search=1

4. Try and take the weight off your backside during the ride by putting more of your weight on the pedals, or standing up out of the saddle from time to time.

5. Apply some 1% hydrocortisone ointment to your anus before riding to prevent chafing and inflammation.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Let me give you some inspiration.

About 3-4 months ago, I was about 30kg overweight, smoking and drinking everyday and had not been physically active for several years. I was probably at the most unfit I could ever have been, I would get puffed out bringing the shopping in from the car. If I am being honest, there was probably a little bit of depression affecting me too, I had a rough couple of years in the UK with some family problems, but that's another story. Quitting smoking and drinking proved to be very difficult but I persevered, and have remained 100% tee-total. This is the longest I have gone without a drink since I was a teenager.

I eventually found a cheap, old used bike on a forum. When it arrived, on my first day I went for a spin, managed about 1km and was coughing and spluttering and thought I was going to die. I was thinking what a stupid idea it was and cursing myself for wasting the money. The next day I managed 3km (I have kept records) and within a week I had managed to do 16km (albeit a very flat route) without stopping. At the beginning, all I was doing was concentrating on using the minimal effort possible, almost letting my legs go round by themselves, and just focusing on enjoying the scenery and the ride. I also spent a bit of time regreasing the bearings, making sure the brakes weren't rubbing and the gears were functioning perfectly to make sure I wasn't being hampered further.

Yesterday, about 4 weeks in, I managed to do a 76km route with some reasonable hills along the way. And when I got home, I felt great, was able to do some gardening, take out the trash, cooked a pizza and watched some Netflix.

So after almost 4 months of not drinking alcohol, eating a bit less, and cycling every day for the last several weeks, I am down 19kg. I am a very impulsive person with no willpower, so if I can do it then anyone can. The key is to make sure that the riding is fun, if it isn't fun then you won't do it and the bike will collect dust. So make sure the bike is set up properly and is comfortable and find some interesting routes. Also, make sure you cycle before 9am, the heat massively hampers your ability to ride effectively.

If you are willing to build up slowly I am 99% sure you can do that 50km in 6 weeks or less. Just find a landmark that is 25km away and focus on getting there, then you've got no option but to ride home and boom there's your 50km. Just take it 1km at a time, a keep a record so you can see how far you have come.

Thanks For The heads up Steve and congratulations on overcoming  some serious issues.

I can remember when I was about 47 years age and what you said about yourself could have been about me !

I Took to The hills around The Yorkshire/ Lancashire borders with tears running down my face  on an old  " Harry Hall" road bike cycling up some serious hills when I was seriously unfit and an emotional wreck. I'm sure you get the idea?

But I still do the 50 K +  rides  even now but the physical  cost is  very much higher than before I was 70 when I regularly  used to do over 100K and at a decent average speed .

I don't know whether you know anything about a steroid cortisone drug called "Prednisone" but since my leg accident I Have been on it  over 5 years, this is  a drug that has very serious and long term  side effects. I am now showing symptoms of various ailments caused by this drug which include Osteoporosis, dizziness and a few  more which I wont mention.  

Incidentally I started riding the outskirts of Pattaya in about 2010 and continue until now but I am not one of the "svelte Elite athletes" you see burning up Sukhumvit but an old ex powerlifter who is nearly as wide as he is long hahaha !

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, n210mp said:

I don't know whether you know anything about a steroid cortisone drug called "Prednisone" but since my leg accident I Have been on it  over 5 years, this is  a drug that has very serious and long term  side effects. I am now showing symptoms of various ailments caused by this drug which include Osteoporosis, dizziness and a few  more which I wont mention.  

That's a very poor show from your doctor, steroids are not for long term use. I would go and see someone to get some advice about tapering it down and coming off it. Maybe ask Sheryl.

Edited by SteveK

On 4/26/2020 at 7:37 AM, damascase said:

Clearly you aren’t into cycling yourself? 20 minutes? And talking to the 40+?? Well, I’m 74 and did a nice 110 km trip yesterday, the 3rd one in the past week - and your advice is to do not more than 2x 20 minutes twice a week?
You have the experience to share, you say, but have you ever done any serious cycling? 

Edited April 26 by damascase

Now this is FUNNY.  I'm in a good mood, but if I was 20 this might be a good troll post.  

You have your FTP. Functional Threshold Power......Mine is around 320, and I weigh about 70 kg.  So that puts me at 4.5 watts per kilo, which is I think almost semi-pro.  But actually I was faster than that a decade ago.  anyhow....

Nobody needs some slow 110 km ride.... I could walk 10-minutes a day and then next month ride 200 km without much difficulty.  Endurance runs very deep.....once you have it, you have it.  

What I'm saying is I like to get FASTER......20-minutes has been proven to affect your FTP.  110 kms likely does nothing.  probably gets you less fit, actually.  if you can hammer it out in like 3 hours, then maybe you will get a little benefit.  

Especially do it in the heat, the 20-minutes.   Go try it... average 40 kph (If you can't do 40, do it a few times and take your fastest average) for 20-minutes, rest 10-minutes, and come back with the same average.  it's hard.  your capillary beds in your blood will adapt, and your HR will be much higher as you suffer in the heat.  Then you will get even faster if you ride in cooler weather.  win-win.  

What I'm saying is Thailand is very dangerous to the old guys......and being on a bike for 5 hours pedaling around crazy drivers might not be the best thing for some.  At 75, well.... I guess we look at cycling differently, but more time on the road means more chances for a life-changing accident.  

i've raced against Olympians, Lance Armstrong (mountain bike race), and many other top pros on a mountain bike.  Not on a road bike......that's another level.  10 levels harder.  My point is, I've trained with enough pros as a pro.  Sure, OK, ride 25 hours a week for a few months......but then you have enough endurance for the season.  Then it's ALL about power.  diet, strength, speed, and maybe a max of 2 hours on the bike.  warm-up, crush, crush, crush, cool down.  done.  But that's for a PRO.  

You want to ride.....then you are either:

1.  Weekend warrior.  Work and then try to race.  

2.  Recreational bike rider.  Pedal around, no goals.

3. Sportive.......Trains seriously, does club races

4.  Sponsored Rider.....Team, very specific goals, coach, etc...

5.  Pro.   All they do is ride.  

My advice is too follow my advice if you want to get faster.  Or simply go pedal around and take pictures and brag about 200 kms when you are likely getting slower.  I like to compete.  Only a real racers can understand how and when to truly suffer.......

what gets me excited on a bike?  destroying people who think they can bike.  I've been on a few TEAMS in Thailand and have beaten 99% of all kids HALF my age.  Why?  Because I've learned how to suffer on a bike since 1985.  

well, it's a long post.  ????  

@damascase

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

Now this is FUNNY.  I'm in a good mood, but if I was 20 this might be a good troll post.  

You have your FTP. Functional Threshold Power......Mine is around 320, and I weigh about 70 kg.  So that puts me at 4.5 watts per kilo, which is I think almost semi-pro.  But actually I was faster than that a decade ago.  anyhow....

Nobody needs some slow 110 km ride.... I could walk 10-minutes a day and then next month ride 200 km without much difficulty.  Endurance runs very deep.....once you have it, you have it.  

What I'm saying is I like to get FASTER......20-minutes has been proven to affect your FTP.  110 kms likely does nothing.  probably gets you less fit, actually.  if you can hammer it out in like 3 hours, then maybe you will get a little benefit.  

Especially do it in the heat, the 20-minutes.   Go try it... average 40 kph (If you can't do 40, do it a few times and take your fastest average) for 20-minutes, rest 10-minutes, and come back with the same average.  it's hard.  your capillary beds in your blood will adapt, and your HR will be much higher as you suffer in the heat.  Then you will get even faster if you ride in cooler weather.  win-win.  

What I'm saying is Thailand is very dangerous to the old guys......and being on a bike for 5 hours pedaling around crazy drivers might not be the best thing for some.  At 75, well.... I guess we look at cycling differently, but more time on the road means more chances for a life-changing accident.  

i've raced against Olympians, Lance Armstrong (mountain bike race), and many other top pros on a mountain bike.  Not on a road bike......that's another level.  10 levels harder.  My point is, I've trained with enough pros as a pro.  Sure, OK, ride 25 hours a week for a few months......but then you have enough endurance for the season.  Then it's ALL about power.  diet, strength, speed, and maybe a max of 2 hours on the bike.  warm-up, crush, crush, crush, cool down.  done.  But that's for a PRO.  

You want to ride.....then you are either:

1.  Weekend warrior.  Work and then try to race.  

2.  Recreational bike rider.  Pedal around, no goals.

3. Sportive.......Trains seriously, does club races

4.  Sponsored Rider.....Team, very specific goals, coach, etc...

5.  Pro.   All they do is ride.  

My advice is too follow my advice if you want to get faster.  Or simply go pedal around and take pictures and brag about 200 kms when you are likely getting slower.  I like to compete.  Only a real racers can understand how and when to truly suffer.......

what gets me excited on a bike?  destroying people who think they can bike.  I've been on a few TEAMS in Thailand and have beaten 99% of all kids HALF my age.  Why?  Because I've learned how to suffer on a bike since 1985.  

well, it's a long post.  ????  

@damascase

I think you're in the wrong forum mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SteveK said:

I think you're in the wrong forum mate.

We don't normally ride with people like that...

The Old Fella's a bit competitive, but he kindly waits at each possible navigation point - since that incident n the Pantai Expressway where three of them got desperately lost on the way to the chapatti house.

In my first last race, which was also my first race, I was surprised at the seriousness of the competition.  The ride out to the race had been as navigationally challenging as I had expected, but I had allowed far too much time.  It started to rain while we were waiting, but happily it brightened up for a bit.  I'm politely minding my own business at the back of the group, and the gun goes off and ... Get a Move On Lad's!
They're all fannying about with clips holding me back, and then slowing down for the first corner, and then ... "Where's everybody gone? They've all <deleted> off without me!".  Anyway, I soldiered on, but my heart was not really in it, until I realised I was still keeping pace with the guys at the back of the group, and I could take the corners a little bit quicker by braking later; anyway, I'd set my heart on catching young M (do you remember the photo of young  M chundering in the back of some bloke's pick-up half-way up the Wall?) and I was able to convince myself I was gaining on him, but he dropped my regular buddy, and when I caught my buddy, my motivation dropped.
"How you doing?" he asked when I caught him
"Not too well, but at least I'm ahead of one bloke, and he's on a motorbike"
On the bright side, it was quite a short race, and we could soon adjourn for cans of cider beside the ambulance; by the time we set off to ride home, the sun had come out, and with the ciders at the race to encourage us, and the ciders ahead to motivate us, we set a fair pace.
"I feel like we're still racing", said M with the model son
"We are, but now we've got a target!"

Anyway, that put me off criterium races.
I was able to kid myself that long distance stuff was more my scene until the Tour de Langkawi.

Edited by StreetCowboy

On 5/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, SteveK said:

If you are still using the original Giant saddle, I'm not surprised, they are built to meet a price point. There are some things you can do though:

1. Replace your seat post with a carbon one. Carbon fibre absorbs vibrations better and will probably save you 100-150g on your bike. Yours takes the same diameter post as mine, 30.8mm. They don't cost a fortune: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/oem-ultra-light-connector-seatpost-rod-254-272-308-316-i661800706-s1290622615.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.45.6a1770ca9BCgkR&search=1

2. Get a saddle with an ergonomic groove down the middle, takes the pressure off the ballsack and soft tissues: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/rockbros-road-mountain-mtb-gel-comfort-saddle-bike-bicycle-cycling-seat-cushion-pad-black-i337528385-s653210674.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.368321dcLSj2o7&search=1

3. Use cycling shorts with a padded insert, makes a huge difference. Personally I don't want to wear lycra so you can buy padded underwear: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/new-bike-cycling-bicycle-short-pant-underwear-short-3d-gel-pad-7-layers-sports-gym-i254073649-s392186522.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.10.36706662rjhgyj&search=1

4. Try and take the weight off your backside during the ride by putting more of your weight on the pedals, or standing up out of the saddle from time to time.

5. Apply some 1% hydrocortisone ointment to your anus before riding to prevent chafing and inflammation.

6. Play with the position of your saddle in terms of moving it forwards or backwards and the tilt angle (slightly up, down or level). 

7. Considering changing your stem for a longer one to put your hands further forwards, thereby making you lean forwards and sitting less upright on the saddle. This should put more weight on your hands/wrists/arms and less weight on your bum.

But whenever you make these kinds of adjustments to your position, you may find something else hurts (e.g. wrists or lower back), so you will need to give your body time to adapt. If it doesn't adapt then try another change. It is also better to make adjustments gradually, in small increments.  

Regarding Steve's suggestion for "1% hydrocortisone ointment": Sometimes the area around my anus gets sore if my cycling shorts were not fully dried after washing and then I ride along a bumpy track. In that case, after the ride and a shower, I prefer to apply an antiseptic cream. Usually the soreness has gone before my next ride but just to make sure I may apply some more antiseptic cream before the next ride.    

• Thanks 1

Chafing: For chamois cream I use 'Smoothasssilk' normally, but I've gotten away with just using baby nappy [diaper] cream in the past. Something mild and antifungal like Egoderm soothes the redness if needed.

And #8 to the comfort tips: you've fitted the biggest volume tyres, have you dropped the pressures? Try riding with the lowest pressure that doesn't give pinchflats or cornering squirm. Check if you can go tubeless....

@ BritManToo ... I just saw photos of your two bikes in another thread. In the case of your MTB-style bike, it looks like your handlebars are a lot higher than your saddle putting you in an upright position with a lot of weight on your bum. In this case you probably don't need a longer stem but instead you can lower the stem to put more weight on your arms. This video shows you what to do (in case you don't already know):

Edited by JungleBiker

2 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

@ BritManToo ... I just saw photos of your two bikes in another thread. In the case of your MTB-style bike, it looks like your handlebars are a lot higher than your saddle putting you in an upright position with a lot of weight on your bum. In this case you probably don't need a longer stem but instead you can lower the stem to put more weight on your arms.

I'm OK with 20Km/day.

Can manage 40Km if I miss the next day.

• Like 1

Our Group Rides are back now, so I am back to google-mapping my time away at work to plan the weekend's ride.

Hari Nuzul Al Quran saw us take a rake past the old airport, and then a meander past the old rugby stadium, past Richfield Corner, and then, out of hunger and thirst, directly home searching for a roti shop... anyway, the New Boy, whom I sometimes call the Old Fella, took a tumble on some steel sheeting on the road, laughed it off, remounted, and went down again.  He was still happier than last week's ride (Wesak Day) through the graveyard, when exhaustion forced him to stop and dismount for a lie-down twice.  Anyway, on Monday he was back to his normal brisk self, and led us on the time trial down past the airport - I was struggling to keep up.

I've proposed a Saturday ride round the local hills, and Sunday a longer ride with a 55-65 kph downhill kilometre or two and ending in the pub.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Our Group Rides are back now, so I am back to google-mapping my time away at work to plan the weekend's ride.

Hari Nuzul Al Quran saw us take a rake past the old airport, and then a meander past the old rugby stadium, past Richfield Corner, and then, out of hunger and thirst, directly home searching for a roti shop... anyway, the New Boy, whom I sometimes call the Old Fella, took a tumble on some steel sheeting on the road, laughed it off, remounted, and went down again.  He was still happier than last week's ride (Wesak Day) through the graveyard, when exhaustion forced him to stop and dismount for a lie-down twice.  Anyway, on Monday he was back to his normal brisk self, and led us on the time trial down past the airport - I was struggling to keep up.

I've proposed a Saturday ride round the local hills, and Sunday a longer ride with a 55-65 kph downhill kilometre or two and ending in the pub.

Likewise, the team I ride with are back on the road again, though we have split the training rides into groups of six riders.

I noticed this weekend the number of cyclists out has more or less doubled since last week, a relief I am sure to the cafes around the regular routes.

I this week spoke with the owners of two local bike shops, they both told me sales of bikes have increased dramatically, all good news for our sport.

I’ve also seen an increase in families out riding with their children, which is wonderful to see. My own daughter has been staying with me these past three months, she’s in her twenties and so thoroughly enjoying rides with pa. 

Pa is certainly delighted to have her along, even if she has commandeered my best bike.

Young A and his former schoolmate joined us on the Putrajaya in the Rain ride.
The rain meant that it was pleasantly cool, and by the time we got to Putrajaya, somewhere around km57, they were flagging from low blood sugar.

Putrajaya is a parched and dry desert, as you can see from the photos in the other thread, and the young boys were struggling by the time we found a petrol station somewhere around km72 they were flagging sadly.  Their lack of training was also evident when we got to the pub and they were struggling with the pace. 

• Like 1