Thailand reports sharp fall in new COVID-19 cases

webfact

Just spoke to my daughter, who is a surgical ICU Nurse in Florida.  THey are fast running out of supplies, as well as protective gear.  She told me that NY is screaming for nurses right night and is willing to pay $6,000 to $7,000 USD per week if you can get there to help them.  Her hospital is full, and they have taken over an entire wing, and converted it to negative pressure rooms.  The ages are all over the board, and it is not showing any signs of slowing.  She says very few are taking the order to self isolate, and not socialize very poorly.

She has taken a look herself at the stats coming from Thailand, and does not understand why more testing of those people with pneumonia in the hospitals here are not being tested.  She also can not believe that there are people still believing that this only affects those with co-morbidity, or are old, as It is an equal opportunity virus.  A fellow nurse, and avid mountain biker, now has the virus. They are not being tested themselves unless they fall ill, and are then being sent home for 14 days to wait this out, or until they need to be hospitalized.  

Stay Safe everyone.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tigerfeet said:

Problem hear is most thai especially old ones dont go to the hospitals the family care for them at home and most die at home a lot of the villages don't have a hospital .I do believe the fact about the virus not being as viral in the heat but the figure's coming out I am sorry I just think its higher.stay safe everyone and stay local

Just look at the death numbers and compare with other countries in the west (that are trustworthy) with the same death numbers. Then look at the total numbers of detected cases in those countries and compare with Thailand, is it reasonable? It makes little sense to proactively test people (66M people) just at random with the social distancing and isolation put in place for the general population. 

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Liss Camber said:

Only 22'000 were tested out of a 66 million?!

The number of tested has jumped to 71,860 today and yesterday Thailand only reported 36 new cases of infection.This suggests that the new test numbers took sometime to pass through the Thai system.

One thing I noticed is the disparity of the ratio of positive cases per number of tests performed. Per Worldometer, Thailand has 2,258 cases for 71,860 tests. That's a hit rate of 0.031. The U.S. has a hit rate of 0.192 and Italy of 0.179. If Thailand had a hit rate comparable (say, 0.18), then the tests performed here so far would have resulted in 12,934 cases. Why would Thailand have such a different hit rate compared to other countries?

3 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Just look at the death numbers and compare with other countries in the west (that are trustworthy) with the same death numbers. Then look at the total numbers of detected cases in those countries and compare with Thailand, is it reasonable?

Take a look at climate temperatures at the start of the virus outbreak between countries that have been hit hard and those that have not.

Think about actual people physical contact differences from the countries that are hit hard and those that have not been. Rarely see a cuddle or a welcoming kiss in LOS, for instance, in the UK it is the norm..

These reports are useless because they can't be trusted. Thailand's government lied in the beginning about how many people were infected either due to not having enough tests so infections were classified as something else or the government did not want to damage tourism or both. Stupid waste of time and they will never have credibility on any reporting.

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Take a look at climate temperatures at the start of the virus outbreak between countries that have been hit hard and those that have not.

Think about actual people physical contact differences from the countries that are hit hard and those that have not been. Rarely see a cuddle or a welcoming kiss in LOS, for instance, in the UK it is the norm..

But in the UK (and other Western countries), people don't use their individual spoon to dip into a common food dish the way that is done in Thailand. That seems significant. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, chimo said:

the total number of people having been tested did not change since yesterday 25,071 tested as of yesterday.. and 25,071 total still having been tested as of today.

With a day off no one was tested and that's why the lower number... brilliant way to get the numbers down .. just stop testing. 

The UK with almost the same population has tested 10 times the number of people than in Thailand .. think about the real numbers if you multiply by 10

Ok and where's your evidence that nobody gets tested on a public holiday?  Absolutely ridiculous claim.  Please give your evidence - you obviously have some inside insight.  Maybe you work in a hospital?

20 hours ago, pmh2009 said:

Look unless you have tested everyone or at least tried...like Germany - who tests 500K per week.. whatever data or numbers you have and say  are irrelevant!!! Let say you only test 3 million out of a population of 69 million --- what is the percentage of that is correct???? Just because the infected cases go down does not mean that the VIRUS is dissipating or clearing up!!!!!!

I agree 100 percent.How many people are walking around with the virus and not having any symptoms ??Also how many poor villagers who cant afford the test and just get the virus and die in the house and the family put it down to the flue therefore not counted in the tally ???

20 hours ago, BobbyL said:

It certainly seems that some of the scientific research released recently around temperature and humidity restricting the spread is true. 

I find that theory hard to fathom..just look at Singapore they are right on the equator and they have had their fare share of cases.

3 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

I find that theory hard to fathom..just look at Singapore they are right on the equator and they have had their fare share of cases.

Quotes from Asia Times:

According to scientists, Covid-19 thrives in 1-10 degree Celsius temperatures........

It is interesting to note there have been only 12,434 confirmed cases in all 10 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member states, a miniscule number compared to China, Italy, Spain and the United States, and about the same as Canada, a country of just 37.6 million compared to Southeast Asia’s 622 million.

The lack of testing will always be cited as the reason for the relatively low number. It may well be valid, but by now – three weeks after Covid-19 was declared a global pandemic – the region surely should have expected an explosion of cases similar to Italy and Spain.

Regarding Singapore, do many Singaporeans live in a/c rooms?

34 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

They have had less cases and less deaths than here. 

5 hours ago, wavodavo said:

I agree 100 percent.How many people are walking around with the virus and not having any symptoms ??Also how many poor villagers who cant afford the test and just get the virus and die in the house and the family put it down to the flue therefore not counted in the tally ???

There was a lady on the radio the other day saying that her father had died but she daren't tell anyone out of fear of ostracisation: there's a real stigma attached. They couldn't even get local temples to burn the body.

On 4/7/2020 at 12:15 PM, hydraides said:

That's because they are testing hardly anyone. How many thai's can splash out on 5000 baht test?

That's a whole month salary compensation from the government

More like 10,500 to 12,000 if you go private with Bangkok Hospital quoted on a flyer.

38 new cases on apr-7 but like 111 new cases april-8. Test parameters are suspect and quite likely nowhere near the levels they should be. CDC (USA) claims 1.8M tests to date in US with almost 400k positive results (~22% of tests are positive). Think about that, population of thailand is ~70M.

SCR 2020-04-09 at 12.11.18 AM.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Interesting, but I think he got booted out from medium for calling a spade a spade. Shame, the actual contect is very interesting. Three hurrah for Internet Archive.