Thailand reports sharp fall in new COVID-19 cases

webfact

3 minutes ago, bangkokfrog said:

Good news (I hope). I have gone on record as questioning the death figures here a number of times, but the more time that goes by with no whistle-blower contradicting them, the more likely it is that there is some truth in the government stats.

Like most government statistics there is sure to be some massaging, errors and data that is simply not captured, e.g. undetected cases including untested deaths.  But there is a limit to the order of magnitude of these discrepancies that is possible, even with lower demand for ICUs and hospital beds created by drastically reducing traffic accidents. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, z42 said:

If these numbers are to be believed then i wonder why the Education ministry is pushing for a delay to term starting from May to July.

Seems illogical that if the curve is dipping to look for even greater lockdown measures

The overworked Teachers are very stressed out with the demanding Protocol and need a longer holiday, poor things !

23 minutes ago, pmh2009 said:

Look unless you have tested everyone or at least tried...like Germany - who tests 500K per week.. whatever data or numbers you have and say  are irrelevant!!! Let say you only test 3 million out of a population of 69 million --- what is the percentage of that is correct???? Just because the infected cases go down does not mean that the VIRUS is dissipating or clearing up!!!!!!

I would like to see more info on this testing.  Is it random population tests?  People coming to a hospital?  Until we know the methods most of this data is useless.

• Haha 2

I saw some news from a month ago that 80 Thais escaped from immigration detention after returning from S. Korea. This just does not jibe with what I know

of average Thai people's behavior. My impression is they are  compliant and fearful of authority. What would they be afraid of to risk their life running away..

or did they fear for their lives with the authorities already... ??

Just today a Thai told me now the story is 100 thais escaped detention upon return from USA... now it's starting to sound like fake news.. or recycled fake news..

very strange..

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/80-thai-workers-returning-from-south-korea-escape-airport-search-underway

or maybe it's just the influence of China.. CCP..so the SEA governments do not blame them.. keep it quiet boys.. and don't talk about us.

we'll dot i's and cross t's in a while.. ????

Edited by FarangSanuk
added comment
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, saakura said:

"Err on the side of caution"     "Better safe than sorry"

It seems that a single dip in daily numbers is  cause for celebration of defeat of the virus. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Custard is lumpy.

More sensible to see if the dip is sustained - for 1 week perhaps? Then watch for a flattening as the government sees the opportunity to tighten up the testing...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Another day of good news, bringing the likelihood of a full on curfew even less likely. We all know that way more testing would be helpful, but I am yet to hear of a single report of masses of sick and dying crowding at the hospitals. It does seem that Thailand is being most fortunate and that the virus here is unlikely to go crazy like in Europe and the US.

I just hope that by Monday of next week, the numbers being reported aren't trending to far down, you know like -100 people were found to not be infected, and only 50 were tested......I know being a bit of an <deleted> aren't I

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As someone with training in statistics, reacting to a single data point is not a good idea. When the data trends down for another 6 days in a row, then I'll start getting excited. We are far from out of the woods, it only takes one irresponsible idiot to start the spread again.

You mean like the people that arrived at the airport the other night.  The selfish and irresponsible ones bugged off because they didn't want to go to quarantine.  And there are others. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bad news for anyone expecting a baht to crash. It's only going higher baby due to Western "stimulus" money being thrown from multiple helicopters.

30 baht to UK pound by the end of the year.

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 2

Pho Ya Ban came around this morning.....apparently to check up on me.   Find out where I been.  No biggy.  About 2 hours later the doctor from the government clinic rang to ask how long I had been in Thailand.  I guess they were worried I had just arrived.  Which is strange as 6 days out of 7 I will see Pho Ya Ban up at the PA hut when I am walking the dogs at much the same time every day!  6:30am is our designated walk time.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, z42 said:

If these numbers are to be believed then i wonder why the Education ministry is pushing for a delay to term starting from May to July.

Seems illogical that if the curve is dipping to look for even greater lockdown measures

The Education ministry made that announcement before the significant drop in the last few days. And they are not looking to increase lockdown measures now. They just said yesterday that there would not be a 24-hour curfew.