Thailand reports sharp fall in new COVID-19 cases

webfact

1 hour ago, pmh2009 said:

Look unless you have tested everyone or at least tried...like Germany - who tests 500K per week.. whatever data or numbers you have and say  are irrelevant!!! Let say you only test 3 million out of a population of 69 million --- what is the percentage of that is correct???? Just because the infected cases go down does not mean that the VIRUS is dissipating or clearing up!!!!!!

You are completely correct. In fact if you were only testing a small proportion of the population you would need to then calculate the number of sick across the untested. No numbers are correct anywhere in the world. In Italy a government scientific advisor said,,, the number including the people who recover at home with mild symptoms is probably around 20 million. Before someone shouts what a load of whatever if thats true its actually good news. The reason in that you can then state that the mortality rate is far far lower and that the country is heading for herd immunity, or at least some way into it. In the case of Thailand they are testing almost nobody so, for sure the real numbers are far far higher, and after the mass migration back into the country where people may get sick and die, or even get sick and recover will go almost unnoticed. As it is pretty obvious you can not trust government data I think the only thing you can do is hide yourself away in self isolation until it all blows over. If you dont you are putting you and your familes health at risk on the back of government published data,, stay safe evryone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You won't. It's a closely guarded secret at MoPH. So closely they deleted the number of pending tests from reports that had already been published.

oh dear, what does that tell everyone?

• Haha 1

Well, numbers will go down until somebody decides to put a higher number into a newspaper

and lock the country in again !

People will believe what ever they are presented with.

A perfect tool for any Government to gain unlimited power ... and they will use the power when ever they feel fit !!!

Once you fall for an idea, the idea has won ... Russian Revolution, Nazi Germani, Maoist China, Killing fields in Cambodia ... or a Virus !!!

At the end it's all the same story again and again ... people just never learn.

what's coming will be a disaster for most ...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, z42 said:

If these numbers are to be believed then i wonder why the Education ministry is pushing for a delay to term starting from May to July.

Seems illogical that if the curve is dipping to look for even greater lockdown measures

I assume you are an expert in these matters.

• Haha 1

Looks like the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. Obviously, they'll keep us leashed till the end of the Songkran period, another week. Hopefully, after that the 10-4 curfew gets lifted and then the malls and shops start limping back to normal.

Added: Maybe it's brighter everywhere. I believe Italy and Spain and NY are stabilizing. And here's news from where it all began

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52193858

Edited by Why Me

53 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

See, here's the thing for you, pmh2009, and the other naysayers. It's not feasible to test the entire population. I agree, there are flaws in the methodology and the resulting data. However, what we've got is a statistically significant sample, day after day. If the sampling  method has remained constant, the trend is undeniably downward. 

The generals are fudging the numbers, you say? So be it. 

There's not enough testing, you say? Have it your way. 

Rural folks are hiding in the countryside, you say? You're probably right. 

If those things are true, they have been true throughout. We have been reading your negative remarks for weeks, which means, even if you're right, those flaws in the method have been factored in for weeks. They're constant. The flaws you dwell on are accounted for in the methodology. All things being equal, the trend is downward. That's good news. 

Or they are fudging the numbers day by day presenting a very linear number with zero upward curve,,, dohh!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

This is the guy that is the subject of a petition to have him removed, correct ?

This is the organisation that has kind of tried to play down the spread until it couldn't do it any longer ?? 

Who said travel restrictions weren't necessary... Masks weren't necessary ?????

Forgive me for not giving it much credit...

You are misinformed. The petition is to remove the WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom. The person in the video is a Canadian expert who led the fact finding mission to Wuhan.

So, the answer to my question "Do you have any data or numbers to back up your claims" is no. Thank you.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, z42 said:

If these numbers are to be believed then i wonder why the Education ministry is pushing for a delay to term starting from May to July.

Seems illogical that if the curve is dipping to look for even greater lockdown measures

Everything seems illogical keep closing the country no matter we all have to be infected sooner or later. 

And it doesn't seem to bad here anyway 

It's like they don't understand this have to be as short as possible every chance to bring life back is to be taken not the other way around. 

As long the hospitals can keep up slowly open up. It will stay with us for 1 or 2 years and it can't be like this that long must do something 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

If those things are true, they have been true throughout. We have been reading your negative remarks for weeks, which means, even if you're right, those flaws in the method have been factored in for weeks. They're constant. The flaws you dwell on are accounted for in the methodology. All things being equal, the trend is downward. That's good news. 

The admission criteria for testing strongly favors clusters and those that had contact with tourists or returnees. The borders are closed, so the portion of people who ever get admitted to testing queue gets smaller. General population only gets into the queue if they already have severe pneumonia.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_CPG_en.pdf

If this is deliberate or not, up to you.

That, and a sudden kneejerk reaction of deleting pending test numbers from existing reports. Could well be they are running out of the RT-PCR reagents that are manufactured in Germany and US.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/conventional-rt-pcr-followed-by-sequencing-for-detection-of-ncov-rirl-nat-inst-health-t.pdf?sfvrsn=42271c6d_4

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Pho Ya Ban came around this morning.....apparently to check up on me.   Find out where I been.  No biggy.  About 2 hours later the doctor from the government clinic rang to ask how long I had been in Thailand.  I guess they were worried I had just arrived.  Which is strange as 6 days out of 7 I will see Pho Ya Ban up at the PA hut when I am walking the dogs at much the same time every day!  6:30am is our designated walk time.  

Don’t kid yourself, it’s not the village headman that’s curious, it’s the government. My village headman came around about a month ago, asked on what date I had arrived in Thailand. I had been in country for more then 2 months. He told me that the government wanted the information.

38 new Covid-19 cases in a day

By The Nation

800_8e166340baf081c.jpg?v=1586238004

The number of Covid-19 patients in the country increased to 2,258, with 38 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said today (April 7).

The cases can be divided into three groups:

The first group of 17 had close contact with others previously confirmed as infected.

The second comprised 16 people, three of whom had just returned from abroad, seven (most from Phuket) who worked in crowded areas or close to foreigners, three who visited crowded areas, and three medical staff.

The third group of five are being investigated for the source of infection.

Meanwhile, 31 people have recovered and returned home.

A 54-year-old man without any chronic disease and who had attended some parties in entertainment venues died of respiratory failure yesterday.

Of the 2,258 confirmed cases, 1,408 are under treatment, with 23 in a critical condition, 824 have recovered and been discharged, and 27 people have died.

Globally, there are more than 1.3 million confirmed Covid-19 cases and around 74,000 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385538

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-07

2 hours ago, hydraides said:

That's because they are testing hardly anyone. How many thai's can splash out on 5000 baht test?

That's a whole month salary compensation from the government

My Thai neighbour had a sore throat for two weeks and I suggested it was a virus as the antibiotics had not cured it, so she got tested. It cost her 8,500. For a Farang it's 17,000.
The result was negative

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, webfact said:

The first group of 17 had close contact with others previously confirmed as infected.

The second comprised 16 people, three of whom had just returned from abroad, seven (most from Phuket) who worked in crowded areas or close to foreigners, three who visited crowded areas, and three medical staff.

The third group of five must've popped up at the hospital with severe pneumonia:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_CPG_en.pdf

Capture.PNG.6a68943355933be1f7c3a2ba336e7f60.PNG

No such luck if you don't fit any of the criteria, you'll remain untested.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

38 new Covid-19 cases in a day

By The Nation

800_8e166340baf081c.jpg?v=1586238004

The number of Covid-19 patients in the country increased to 2,258, with 38 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said today (April 7).

The cases can be divided into three groups:

Meanwhile, 31 people have recovered and returned home.

A 54-year-old man without any chronic disease and who had attended some parties in entertainment venues died of respiratory failure yesterday.

Of the 2,258 confirmed cases, 1,408 are under treatment, with 23 in a critical condition, 824 have recovered and been discharged, and 27 people have died.

Globally, there are more than 1.3 million confirmed Covid-19 cases and around 74,000 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385538

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-07

So another 3 medical staff. What the <deleted> is happening? yesterday 13 and today 3. 

Edited by metisdead
8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

As they say in the business world, it is better to be lucky than smart. Thailand has been lucky (and maybe a little bit smart, on occasion). And to be clear, I don't trust the gov numbers, but I do give credence to the almost innumerable anecdotal reports that people are just not dropping like flies around the country.

I've been monitoring the nighttime behavior at the Din Daeng market on Thanon Pracha Songkhra near me, and while half the food stalls in the center have disappeared (probably on orders), that still leaves a few hundred, and people are still gathering there and milling about elbow to elbow in the evenings. If the word were out that lots were not coming at night because sick, everyone would soon know, and behavior would change much more than it has. But for better or worse, they are still there. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

It certainly seems that some of the scientific research released recently around temperature and humidity restricting the spread is true. 

Rainy season is coming soon, so we'll find out in due time...

• Haha 1