Thailand reports sharp fall in new COVID-19 cases

webfact

56 minutes ago, rabas said:

Do you have any data or numbers to back up your claims" is no. Thank you.

I love it when people on here ask a question and then tell me what my answer is in the same sentence ????

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Another day of good news, bringing the likelihood of a full on curfew even less likely. We all know that way more testing would be helpful, but I am yet to hear of a single report of masses of sick and dying crowding at the hospitals. It does seem that Thailand is being most fortunate and that the virus here is unlikely to go crazy like in Europe and the US.

I think that the Thai "wai" in stead of handshake was helpful to avoid spreading Covid-19 during the initial period

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fvw53 said:

I think that the Thai "wai" in stead of handshake was helpful to avoid spreading Covid-19 during the initial period

Maybe, on the flip side, they love to sit close together and share food and glasses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

but I am yet to hear of a single report of masses of sick and dying crowding at the hospitals.

You won't.

This is a re-post (it was written to explain the barely noticeable increase in crematorium activity) and includes a relevant reference to location of deaths: 

10000 deaths over 2 months would equal 69 per province per month (not counting 4 southern provinces....Islam burials).

With crematoriums in virtually every settlement (even the smallest) and city/town sub-district.

Who would notice 1 or 2 extra burnings (bear in mind that people are still also dying "as usual") in each one?

Even if you concentrate the deaths into more populated "hotspots" what's another 4+ burnings in a busier crematorium with a "healthy" turnover?

It's also possible that a significant number of deaths are taking place outside the "system", at home.

Which is not unusual.

That's a very simplified, coarse analysis, but there is so much "space" for the deaths/cremations to be lost in that they will only register when counted as a whole, collated number, compared to the normal average.

And you're not going to get a "real" one of those.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

And .. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-indonesia-funerals/exclusive-jump-in-jakarta-funerals-raises-fears-of-unreported-coronavirus-deaths-idUSKBN21L2XU

Perhaps ASEAN has finally found a common tune, with the exception of the pesky Singaporeans that test too mutt.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Rubbish. It costs 300 all the way up to 10000 depending on which test you take.

FB_IMG_1585489356034.jpg

Ah, first time I see Rapid NAAT (LAMP or CRISPR based). That'd be the PTT/MIT/etc test kits.

EDIT: BKK Post reported on 27. March that Chula was the only provider of "strip tests", which is what those are. Also reported once approved they will be sold over the counter, which is brilliant news if true. Although they speak of serology there, not nasal swabs.

Edited by DrTuner

Bumped into another inrteresting article: https://www.chula.ac.th/en/news/29259/

Although the King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital has a limited capacity of around 200 cases per day

Chula, 200/d capacity which apparently their new machine is supposed to increase. It's one of the major hospitals. Gives you an indication of the real testing capacities in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

So, back to your question... Do I have any actual data on unrecorded infections ???

Ummmmmm, no because they are unrecorded !!!

What about data on people dying in Thailand of all types of deaths broken down by month? Where can we see that data? I'd like to see that and compare it to the same months last year to see if it looks like there's been a recent bump. We can still all agree that C-19 tests are not being done much here and aren't 100% reliable anyway. How do we see raw data about how many people are dying in Thailand? Anyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chula is rolling out antibody testing:

None of the positives will end up as "confirmed" in the MoPH stats without going through two RT-PCR reference labs. Unfortunately we, the hoi polloi, will not get access to the stats from Chula.

They are doing this as a screening test for the actual RT-PCR test. In the video you'll hear Dr. Narin mention it is to try to ease the burden on the testing capacity. In other words, the PCR testing capacity is very limited.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Thailand and other tropical countries are not flu and cold virus countries.  We don't have a flu season here similar to temperate and cold countries.  These type of viruses do not seem to thrive in tropical climates.  During my 37 years in Thailand I've never had the flu and usually a cold maybe once a year or less. However, when I did have a cold it did seem to take longer to heal than back in Europe and also was more severe. When I was living in Europe I had regular cold and flu infections. So infections are possible but nowhere near as prevalent here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sharp falls are probably due to the lack of testing.

People now have restricted incomes, and the last thing they will do is spend 7,000 Baht on what they  consider to be a waste of time.

7,000 Baht will feed their family for a decent amount of time, or will allow them to keep the Car or House.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

What about data on people dying in Thailand of all types of deaths broken down by month? Where can we see that data? I'd like to see that and compare it to the same months last year to see if it looks like there's been a recent bump. We can still all agree that C-19 tests are not being done much here and aren't 100% reliable anyway. How do we see raw data about how many people are dying in Thailand? Anyone?

Useless - with fewer people out, there is a slight reduction in road deaths which in itself would be a massive shift in numbers. Remember, many road deaths avoid recording by dying later...

The fact is, COVID may have saved many more lives than it's taken.

• Haha 1

Another day of good news, bringing the likelihood of a full on curfew even less likely. We all know that way more testing would be helpful, but I am yet to hear of a single report of masses of sick and dying crowding at the hospitals. It does seem that Thailand is being most fortunate and that the virus here is unlikely to go crazy like in Europe and the US.

I still think that 24 curfew is needed for Songkran. Too many idiots here, and hard to check them all.

Maybe 1 week 24 curfew ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nobody goes crazy with temperatures from 38+ celcius even a virus is to lazy to move

• Haha 2

There is no mass sick and dying anywhere in the world. In France, last year 600 000 persons died so 50 000 per month. Up to now around 10 000 person died form the virus. So it is penuts in statistics. So we are in the phenomal collective allunication that will bring the world to break.

Edited by bencnx
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bikerlou47 said:

Thailand has only tested 359 per million people.

It will be a long time before this country can open up with this few people being tested.

THAILAND MUST GET SERIOUS AND START TESTING IN ERNEST!

That would mean they have tested 24,762 people (0.0359%) in 2 months.

In the US they test about 0.04% (125,000) of the population EVERY DAY.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bencnx said:

There is no mass sick and dying anywhere in the world. In France, last year 600 000 persons died so 50 000 per month. Up to now around 10 000 person died form the virus. So it is penuts in statistics. So we are in the phenomal collective allunication that will bring the world to break.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-indonesia-funerals/exclusive-jump-in-jakarta-funerals-raises-fears-of-unreported-coronavirus-deaths-idUSKBN21L2XU

It's showing in stats too. You just have to find the ones they forgot to massage.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

I am in Koh Samui. My wife stranded in Isaan told me yesterday her daughter, 31 years old,  was not well with a fever of 39 degree centigrade, they went to see a doctor, he sent her home with paracetamol, some of you, maybe, will rememder that I said a few days ago my wife had also a same high fever and was sent home in the same way, I called my DIL two hour ago because I wanted to speak to HER, she told me I am too tired for walking and my eyes are hurting a lot ??? Impossible to know if she had coronavirus or not, maybe not, she has no problem for breathing...BUT when I see that, I do not believe at all any fifures of this government anymore, I do not pretend they are lying about it, I say and I'm sure they have no idea at all about the real situation, mainly in the countryside for let's not forget 80% of the people have very little to mild symptoms! And you can't compare the number of doctors or the medical system to western countries.

What scares me a little is that in the same house are my wife's parents, both over 80 and both not in very good health. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1