Closure of Pattaya set to begin on Thursday 9 April

Jonathan Fairfield

Pretty obvious they are implementing in time for Sonkran to stop the influx of revellers and all bypass crossings will be blocked off except those with checkpoints ensuring complete grid lock. Can't see locals putting up with it for long and can't see expats queuing for hours on the way to Immigration and then queuing for hours at Immigration!

5 hours ago, Central Pattaya said:

This is going to be bliss.

No more Darksiders who I never really considered as being one of us, mostly an odd reclusive bunch, there's plenty of food outlets over there we don't need unnecessary traffic and contagious outsiders in our city, please stay in bandit country.

Let's make a pact, you keep your fingers on that side of the table and we'll keep them on our side of the table. Works for me. Good luck finding native Pattaya gogo-girls though.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Banglamung is a very large area reaching Laem Chabang, Nong Nooch and Rayong border.

They probably can't educate all police and volunteers manning checkpoints on the intricacies of what constitutes 'Pattaya' 

which is

Nongprue, Moo 5,6 9-13

Huayyai, Moo4

Nong Plalai  6-8

Naklua

whole of Banglamung is close enough for a quick glance and to be let through 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

They probably can't educate all police and volunteers manning checkpoints on the intricacies of what constitutes 'Pattaya' 

which is

Nongprue, Moo 5,6 9-13

Huayyai, Moo4

Nong Plalai  6-8

Naklua

whole of Banglamung is close enough for a quick glance and to be let through 

Hey, there I am!

1 hour ago, generealty said:

Makro, Tesco Lotus and Big C seem to be accessible from DS without the need to pass through check point. 

How? From what I see in the map, they closed most sois/thanons going to Sukhumvit from the Darkside and the others have checkpoints.

Is the Naklua access blocked too? Not sure where Bangkok Hospital locates there either.

11 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Can't see locals putting up with it for long and can't see expats queuing for hours on the way to Immigration and then queuing for hours at Immigration!

The gridlocks at the sukhumvit checkpoints are going to be epic. BiB won't last a day, they'll have to call the army. Although there is one guy in BiB who was working at Thanon Rod Fai when they were building the tunnel, he was like a windmill with his hands, they need to clone him. 

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I live in NE why do they call the Darkside the Darkside...?

No street lights. They have put in some now, even very fancy ones, but a decade or so ago it was pitch black in the night. Often still is thanks to many of the lights being broken.

• Thanks 1

Like many things, I can imagine that some checkpoints will be manned constantly while others will be taken down, especially if the locals (on the darkside) start putting up a fuss.

Really can't see needing a Certificate of Residency to go from home to the supermarket, especially when my address is on my driver's licence (and business cards, and utility bills, etc). Sheesh, Immigration doesn't even need a Certificate when I renew my Extension - a photocopy of my driver's licence is enough proof for them !

6 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Like many things, I can imagine that some checkpoints will be manned constantly while others will be taken down, especially if the locals (on the darkside) start putting up a fuss.

Really can't see needing a Certificate of Residency to go from home to the supermarket, especially when my address is on my driver's licence (and business cards, and utility bills, etc). Sheesh, Immigration doesn't even need a Certificate when I renew my Extension - a photocopy of my driver's licence is enough proof for them !

so we all need to go to Immigration to get a residents certificate, yeah makes sense, 1000s of us there tomorrow morning sharp

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dionigi said:

Nice to see we haven't altered our approach since 1665, when the plague struck Europe. Tell everyone to stay home stop people moving around. They still had people breaking curfew back then.

Quarantine is older, from the dark ages. Quite modern for Thailand, then.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3559034/

Organized institutional responses to disease control began during the plague epidemic of 1347–1352

On 4/7/2020 at 1:39 PM, Phuketshrew said:

But you will still need to queue up at immigration ...

So we have a lock-down where we also get locked-into going to immigration where the virus can spread amongst us...... Great planning and forethought! TiT

You cannot fix stupid. ..... Temporarily waive all visas and close immigration you idiots.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The silver lining of this is I finally have more uses for the pink card. Been sitting in my desk drawer for years gathering dust.

Remember all the Thai Visa comments saying that getting a Yellow Tabien Baan and Pink ID weren't worth the effort and gave no benefit.

Me too.

30 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Yes, lock me in and throw away the key.

Big Brother is watching you Farang. Your request may be relayed to the Immigration Detention Center. Where you will receive just two bowls of rice / day.

The way Immigration and the Military are going, be careful what you wish for.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Thanks 1

Need advice on 90 day immigration reporting given

A The office is bulging with potential infected covert 19 folk

B Access via car appears to be impossible I live Sattahip

C Registering 90 days online still is unclear and not simplistic

and I pose the question is fear being generated so one chooses an agent for 500 Baht - good piece of business if you can get it

Any advice welcomed

2 minutes ago, JGV said:

Need advice on 90 day immigration reporting given

A The office is bulging with potential infected covert 19 folk

B Access via car appears to be impossible I live Sattahip

C Registering 90 days online still is unclear and not simplistic

and I pose the question is fear being generated so one chooses an agent for 500 Baht - good piece of business if you can get it

Any advice welcomed

Well, according to other topics running on that subject, the 90 Day reporting requirement is about to be waived any ways.

Which should free up space in the lines for people who apparently will need a Certificate of Residence in order to go grocery shopping in Pattaya as of tomorrow.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Don't live in Pattaya anymore, but as a frequent cyclist in Chonburi province I know dozens of ways to get around these checkpoints. 

The checkpoints are where they check, i presume the other roads crossing the railway track will be blocked

24 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Don't live in Pattaya anymore, but as a frequent cyclist in Chonburi province I know dozens of ways to get around these checkpoints. 

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The checkpoints are where they check, i presume the other roads crossing the railway track will be blocked

That would be my guess as well. The initial map made it look like they were only going to block the major crossings. The last map (the one I got from the lawyer) makes it look like the smaller crossings (Boonsamphan, Nern Plurb Wan, etc) will be closed and all traffic directed through the larger crossings.

If need be, they could then direct some traffic to other crossings but it will create a bit of a nightmare. Not too many ways to cross the railway except at the road crossings so they can block most traffic pretty easily with just a few officers. Lower the rail crossing guards and put a cop there on a scooter. Shoot anyone that tries to go through. 

If you look at the railway bypass road, from Soi Chaiyapruek to Soi Siam Country Club there is a total of 8 crossings (including those 2 intersections). Closing off those other 6 won't be hard at all.

Going to be a lot of confusion and frustration happening over the next few days until people get used to it or the authorities revamp the plan somewhat.

• Thanks 1

3 Ways to Survive Under Martial Law - wikiHow

To survive under martial law, treat your new leaders with respect and obey their directions and orders. Be a friend to the regime by helping out military personnel and spreading information you have permission to disclose. To hide from the new government, stock a survival bunker with food, water, medicine, a radio, and other supplies.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yeah, all these selfish Darksiders moaning about not being able to get to Big C Extra or Makro, but what about us poor Brightsiders cut off from our supplies of bargain cheese and home-made Yorkshire puddings in Siamburi's? It's all me, me, me with some people, lol!

Actually just come back from Siamburys , what a waste of time ,it was full of westerners buying anything and everything on the half empty shelves ,never seen such panic buying since this all started ,just left without bothering to shop ,went off to Makro instead.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

That would be my guess as well. The initial map made it look like they were only going to block the major crossings. The last map (the one I got from the lawyer) makes it look like the smaller crossings (Boonsamphan, Nern Plurb Wan, etc) will be closed and all traffic directed through the larger crossings.

If need be, they could then direct some traffic to other crossings but it will create a bit of a nightmare. Not too many ways to cross the railway except at the road crossings so they can block most traffic pretty easily with just a few officers. Lower the rail crossing guards and put a cop there on a scooter. Shoot anyone that tries to go through. 

If you look at the railway bypass road, from Soi Chaiyapruek to Soi Siam Country Club there is a total of 8 crossings (including those 2 intersections). Closing off those other 6 won't be hard at all.

Going to be a lot of confusion and frustration happening over the next few days until people get used to it or the authorities revamp the plan somewhat.

i cycle from Pattaya across the railway lines 2+ times a week, we'll just have to cycle in Pattaya for 3 weeks, not ideal but can get good fitness around Pratamak hill. Not worth trying to get around the blocks and it's trying to stop Corona so best everyone just complies

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Actually just come back from Siamburys , what a waste of time ,it was full of westerners buying anything and everything on the half empty shelves ,never seen such panic buying since this all started ,just left without bothering to shop ,went off to Makro instead.

Maybe people can try Thai food for a change

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe people can try Thai food for a change

Totally agree ,i only go there usually for cheese ,crisps ,some tinned soup and any specials for a treat , but today was ridiculous,my wife just walked out straight away and got back in the car ,also so much for asking the m/cyclists to park at the side ,the front was crammed with them ,had to park down the street .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Totally agree ,i only go there usually for cheese ,crisps ,some tinned soup and any specials for a treat , but today was ridiculous,my wife just walked out straight away and got back in the car ,also so much for asking the m/cyclists to park at the side ,the front was crammed with them ,had to park down the street .

I parked right in front of the Spirit House and there was a Thai woman selling mangoes in front of the shop. No mask on. She was calling them "mongos". 

They looked OK so I bought a bag. She had a couple plastic bags (shock !) filled with yellow mangoes. When I got home I immediately gave them a good rinsing and left them to dry.

Had to laugh though. She distracted me when I arrived. I bought the mangoes, put them under the seat of the scooter, checked that I had a shopping bag with me and entered the shop. I was able to get a basket, started shopping and was wondering why some people were giving me strange looks. Then the visor of my helmet dropped and I realized I'd forgotten to take it off when I arrived (because I had immediately started talking to "mongo" lady) !

Inside the shop, it was so busy that they didn't have any empty shopping baskets. So you had 2 lines of people at the registers and another line of people waiting for those people to get checked out so they could scoop an empty basket. 
Everyone was masked and polite. It wasn't that crowded. Despite how busy it was I don't think I actually brushed against anyone the whole time (though we were all in pretty close proximity the whole time.

Might be a better idea to be there when they open in the morning, after they've had time to restock everything and before there's a mad rush (again).

• Thanks 1