Closure of Pattaya set to begin on Thursday 9 April

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, JGV said:

Need advice on 90 day immigration reporting given

A The office is bulging with potential infected covert 19 folk

B Access via car appears to be impossible I live Sattahip

C Registering 90 days online still is unclear and not simplistic

and I pose the question is fear being generated so one chooses an agent for 500 Baht - good piece of business if you can get it

Any advice welcomed

Seriously?

You lay out all the problems and risks a big one being your future health, and you have a problem with paying an agent 15 bucks?

Unbelievable.

Advice: Figure out a way to pay 15 bucks...

Edited by bkk6060

46 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

3 Ways to Survive Under Martial Law - wikiHow

To survive under martial law, treat your new leaders with respect and obey their directions and orders. Be a friend to the regime by helping out military personnel and spreading information you have permission to disclose. To hide from the new government, stock a survival bunker with food, water, medicine, a radio, and other supplies.

I might add to the hiding part, don't build the bunker in the middle of a bloody city. Hang in there, Brightsiders, keep frosty.

52 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Going to be a lot of confusion and frustration happening over the next few days until people get used to it or the authorities revamp the plan somewhat.

I'm sort of used to Thanon Rod Fai being a strange testing ground. First they changed it from two-way on both sides to one way ( creating a lot of extra problems at the junctions with people turning and blocking the whole thing ), during the tunnel build it was always complete mayhem especially on Fridays, always been random checkpoints here and there blocking the thing, etc. Just turn on the Mad Max mode and enter the melee.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I might add to the hiding part, don't build the bunker in the middle of a bloody city. Hang in there, Brightsiders, keep frosty.

Any bunker built by a farang in Pattaya (or the darkside for that matter) could easily be penetrated by a cute girl with a perky rack and mischievous smile. Once inside you may as well assume all is lost and make a break for it as her whole family won't be far behind !

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I parked right in front of the Spirit House and there was a Thai woman selling mangoes in front of the shop. No mask on. She was calling them "mongos". 

They looked OK so I bought a bag. She had a couple plastic bags (shock !) filled with yellow mangoes. When I got home I immediately gave them a good rinsing and left them to dry.

Had to laugh though. She distracted me when I arrived. I bought the mangoes, put them under the seat of the scooter, checked that I had a shopping bag with me and entered the shop. I was able to get a basket, started shopping and was wondering why some people were giving me strange looks. Then the visor of my helmet dropped and I realized I'd forgotten to take it off when I arrived (because I had immediately started talking to "mongo" lady) !

Inside the shop, it was so busy that they didn't have any empty shopping baskets. So you had 2 lines of people at the registers and another line of people waiting for those people to get checked out so they could scoop an empty basket. 
Everyone was masked and polite. It wasn't that crowded. Despite how busy it was I don't think I actually brushed against anyone the whole time (though we were all in pretty close proximity the whole time.

Might be a better idea to be there when they open in the morning, after they've had time to restock everything and before there's a mad rush (again).

Darn ,how much were the mangoes ,the wife was going to get some off her and forgot until we drove off.

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

Darn ,how much were the mangoes ,the wife was going to get some off her and forgot until we drove off.

100 baht a bag. Not sure if that was a good price or not. 2 of the 7 in the bag were a little soft but they are going to become smoothies pretty quickly anyways.

1 minute ago, Kerryd said:

100 baht a bag. Not sure if that was a good price or not. 2 of the 7 in the bag were a little soft but they are going to become smoothies pretty quickly anyways.

Oh thanks ,just told the wife ,she says not a bad price ,wishes she had got some.

7 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I live in NE why do they call the Darkside the Darkside...?

because it used to be dark in comparison with the neon lit Pattaya side,  very few bars, but that was some 20 years ago  Its caught up somewhat since  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

It seems there is shop on Soi Siam Country Club called :

Siam Expat Foods

Google shows it as being here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9368679,100.9290115,3a,39.3y,228.62h,88.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFMfrJeAeO61u3Hg9Dy-nhw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Looks pretty small, just a single shop house wide. Looks like it's mostly Brit type stuff with Aussie meats and cheese. Many of the items shown are common "Western" items. Looks worth a visit from a couple of the pics I just looked at.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Somnambulist said:

Noob Question Alert:

What is the Darkside?  Pratamnak?  Pratamnak and Jomtien?  

Is Naklua also "dark"?  

The "Darkside" pretty much refers to the whole area on the East side of Sukhumvit Highway in Pattaya.

For years there was little (or no) development on that side of the highway and looking at it from overhead (i.e. a satellite pic), it was the "dark side" of Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JGV said:

Need advice on 90 day immigration reporting given

A The office is bulging with potential infected covert 19 folk

B Access via car appears to be impossible I live Sattahip

C Registering 90 days online still is unclear and not simplistic

and I pose the question is fear being generated so one chooses an agent for 500 Baht - good piece of business if you can get it

Any advice welcomed

If this is the quality of expat thats left to generate income for businesses in Pattaya after the crisis then best shut up shop.

Do people not realise how ridiculous they have become.

I paid 8 times that in December to get a 30 day extension rather than spend the day in immigration. Best 4000 baht i ever spent.

The bad news is the buy 1 water, eat buffet for free model won't be coming back anytime soon.

Pathetic.

2 hours ago, KenKadz said:

3 Ways to Survive Under Martial Law - wikiHow

To survive under martial law, treat your new leaders with respect and obey their directions and orders. Be a friend to the regime by helping out military personnel and spreading information you have permission to disclose. To hide from the new government, stock a survival bunker with food, water, medicine, a radio, and other supplies.

Or get a fast ass mid to superbike & say See you!

So Glad my gal heard this news at 1 pm today. Went to Macro & stocked up! the rest we can find in Bang Saray. there are still carts & some veggie vendors not sportin masks. The heat isn't that interested here, although they did shut down one of the markets in Nong Nooch. Hopefully enough hard supplies to skate thru the lock down people driving around like absolute fools trying to road rage everywhere. Glad I have a super bike to get away from the idiots.I don't care if they want to get involved in a wreck just please be as kind to give me .5 seconds to hit it & get away from the sorry ass that never head checks traffic or hates the fact that their car or truck can't go between lanes(legal) And can't even hope to come closer to accelerating unless they own a super car.I don't sped much 120 kilo's normal but I can hit 200K in a couple seconds to save my hide.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath, get a cold drink, kiss the (gal) and tell her that you (love/like/hate/put up with) her, take another deep breath, then sit down at the keyboard again (or watch a movie - something with kittens and puppies and fuzzy bunnies maybe).

When I came out from Villa Market today and turned onto Sukhumvit, I was amazed to see a single vehicle between the Little Walk and the Highway 7 overpass. This was what, noonish on a weekday ?

Didn't encounter any whacky drivers (well, there were to two punks on a small CBR style bike with a modded exhaust - no helmets or masks - but even they weren't being as crazy as one might expect, driving-wise).
Other than that, it was pretty mellow riding around today. I should be able to go a few weeks without even having to open the front gate, though the occasional trip to the 7-11 at the front of the village may be in order. You know, to pay the water bill and such !

Not too fussed about much - until the end of next month when my Extension is due for renewal. If we are still locked down then, that would probably mean the :hit-the-fan:in a major way. 
Maybe they could use those "smart cars" to go to people's homes and process their Extensions through the gates (or by tossing sealed bags of paperwork back and forth until Immigration is satisfied all is OK and grants your Extension).

Now, where was that movie with all the cute, fuzzy animals ? Oh right - The Walking Dead Season 10. Just the thing to calm a person down !

Love the last bit

3 hours ago, mauroest said:

You must provide 1 copy of this document, a copy of your ID card or passport and work permit (for
foreigners) to the screening staff as evidence.

Oh great, a trip to the copyshop with 42938 other poor souls. If you got a work permit, which I'm sure given the demographics of Pattaya everybody has.

I'm glad they thought this one through.

16 hours ago, Traubert said:

What we have is a respiratory disease that gets one in 120,000 people.  Mainly elderly.

Sorry!

so it will only 'get' 65,000* worldwide. phew! that's a relief. thanks. I thought it was going to be a lot worse than that. some have the number at 87000 already, so must have been over 12,000 bodies ago. can we go out now?

* based on world population figure of 7.8 billion.