BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Closure of Pattaya set to begin on Thursday 9 April

Pretty obvious they are implementing in time for Sonkran to stop the influx of revellers and all bypass crossings will be blocked off except those with checkpoints ensuring complete grid lock. Can't see locals putting up with it for long and can't see expats queuing for hours on the way to Immigration and then queuing for hours at Immigration!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Central Pattaya said:

This is going to be bliss.

No more Darksiders who I never really considered as being one of us, mostly an odd reclusive bunch, there's plenty of food outlets over there we don't need unnecessary traffic and contagious outsiders in our city, please stay in bandit country.

Let's make a pact, you keep your fingers on that side of the table and we'll keep them on our side of the table. Works for me. Good luck finding native Pattaya gogo-girls though.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Banglamung is a very large area reaching Laem Chabang, Nong Nooch and Rayong border.

They probably can't educate all police and volunteers manning checkpoints on the intricacies of what constitutes 'Pattaya' 

which is

Nongprue, Moo 5,6 9-13

Huayyai, Moo4

Nong Plalai  6-8

Naklua

whole of Banglamung is close enough for a quick glance and to be let through 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

They probably can't educate all police and volunteers manning checkpoints on the intricacies of what constitutes 'Pattaya' 

which is

Nongprue, Moo 5,6 9-13

Huayyai, Moo4

Nong Plalai  6-8

Naklua

whole of Banglamung is close enough for a quick glance and to be let through 

Hey, there I am!

1 hour ago, generealty said:

Makro, Tesco Lotus and Big C seem to be accessible from DS without the need to pass through check point. 

How? From what I see in the map, they closed most sois/thanons going to Sukhumvit from the Darkside and the others have checkpoints.

Is the Naklua access blocked too? Not sure where Bangkok Hospital locates there either.

11 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Can't see locals putting up with it for long and can't see expats queuing for hours on the way to Immigration and then queuing for hours at Immigration!

The gridlocks at the sukhumvit checkpoints are going to be epic. BiB won't last a day, they'll have to call the army. Although there is one guy in BiB who was working at Thanon Rod Fai when they were building the tunnel, he was like a windmill with his hands, they need to clone him. 

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I live in NE why do they call the Darkside the Darkside...?

No street lights. They have put in some now, even very fancy ones, but a decade or so ago it was pitch black in the night. Often still is thanks to many of the lights being broken.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The gridlocks at the sukhumvit checkpoints are going to be epic.

Better to have gridlocks on the road, than gridlocks at hospital entrances. 

• Like 1

Like many things, I can imagine that some checkpoints will be manned constantly while others will be taken down, especially if the locals (on the darkside) start putting up a fuss.

Really can't see needing a Certificate of Residency to go from home to the supermarket, especially when my address is on my driver's licence (and business cards, and utility bills, etc). Sheesh, Immigration doesn't even need a Certificate when I renew my Extension - a photocopy of my driver's licence is enough proof for them !

6 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Like many things, I can imagine that some checkpoints will be manned constantly while others will be taken down, especially if the locals (on the darkside) start putting up a fuss.

Really can't see needing a Certificate of Residency to go from home to the supermarket, especially when my address is on my driver's licence (and business cards, and utility bills, etc). Sheesh, Immigration doesn't even need a Certificate when I renew my Extension - a photocopy of my driver's licence is enough proof for them !

so we all need to go to Immigration to get a residents certificate, yeah makes sense, 1000s of us there tomorrow morning sharp

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to see we haven't altered our approach since 1665, when the plague struck Europe. Tell everyone to stay home stop people moving around. They still had people breaking curfew back then.

Just now, Dionigi said:

Nice to see we haven't altered our approach since 1665, when the plague struck Europe. Tell everyone to stay home stop people moving around. They still had people breaking curfew back then.

Quarantine is older, from the dark ages. Quite modern for Thailand, then.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3559034/

Organized institutional responses to disease control began during the plague epidemic of 1347–1352

On 4/7/2020 at 1:39 PM, Phuketshrew said:

But you will still need to queue up at immigration ...

So we have a lock-down where we also get locked-into going to immigration where the virus can spread amongst us...... Great planning and forethought! TiT

You cannot fix stupid. ..... Temporarily waive all visas and close immigration you idiots.

• Thanks 1

Yes, lock me in and throw away the key. Even now I'm having far more fun and better treatment from the locals, and the weather, than home in Utah.