BANGKOK
webfact

People still violating curfew orders

People still violating curfew orders

By The Nation

800_16dc1795e435b26.png?v=1586249469

Despite the invocation of the Emergency Decree and night-time curfew from April 3, people are still found to be violating the orders by going outside their homes, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Tuesday (April 7).

So far, 1,293 people have been found to have violated the curfew, a number that is continually rising. Officials have issued a warning to 246 people and have prosecuted 1,047 others. Most of the people in these cases were part of gatherings.

Dr Taweesin is urging people to stay indoors if it is not necessary for them to go outside in order to cut down on the spread of Covid-19. Though the number of new infections has dropped dramatically from hundreds to 38, he said it is not time for people to let their guards down, otherwise the numbers may rise again.

200407-01.JPG

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385549

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-07

This situation must be oh so difficult to manage. Put yourself in the shoes of the governments around the world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

i think this may have been coz she was drink driving too tho?

Drink driving during the curfew.. same applies.

• Haha 1

In other news, scientists have found that a certain percentage of people are perpetual jackasses.

They are the ones that need to be contained. Only social shaming will work in large scale, but hey, maibpenrai, loving that cultural flaw already?

• Haha 1

I can understand the urge of leaving, if only for a bit. Something came up last night making me forget to run an errand before 10. When I remembered it was 10:05 and I thought well I could just perhaps go over to a friend quickly. He might still have a drink or two and some snacks to spare. I was pretty annoyed that I overlooked the passing of time and actually almost went, especially since I wouldn't have been the only one on the road since quite a few others happen to be a little late. But I just cursed a bit instead and ended up not going. However I can certainly foresee that as time passes more and more people will attempt to break the rules of curfew. The first night was quite tense. Shops were super busy here after 9. Now people already seem more relaxed about it and it already starts to feel less restrictive and it doesn't seem to be heavily enforced when you're not in the city. The curfew exists to prevent parties and gatherings at night of mostly drunk people. With that in mind there'll come a day when the curfew period lasts long enough that we all reach a moment where we think "f it, I'm going". We humans simply have lots of inventive ways to think we are an exception and that a certain set of rules doesn't apply to us. That's simple psychology really. And when fines aren't impressive (speeding tickets of 500 baht I mean really?!) people simply don't adjust their behavior. I will still do my best to make sure I have everything I need before 10 but I also tend to forget things and it's hard to change a habit (of shopping late) so given enough time I will surely end up in the same situation again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I just saw on the "Nation" news channel, the daughter of the headman in Phitsanoluk got sentenced to 6 months in jail.. not sure about the fine?

But does send out a strong message, her Dad didn't get to save the day as she'd hoped!.

Could it be because nobody knew who she was?

'nuf sed.

1 hour ago, yourauntbob said:

I cant believe everyone is just falling in line.  Even if you believe the official narrative (and i dont), how is staying in doors from 10pm - 4am help?

More and more kids are growing up not to question anything that comes out of the corporate media or government.   Orwell was a bit early using "1984" but im afraid he wasnt wrong.

What exactly don't you believe?