Extension of permanent residence permit

Hi All,

I have residence status in Thailand  but my company arranges all that relates to it and apparently I don’t know well enough how it works.

I know I need a re-entry when I go out of the country so every year I get a multiple-entry stamp. I always thought that if I don’t leave the country I don’t have to do anything and this is a visa for life. I was now told that I need to renew the permit every year and need to get stamped even if I stay in Thailand only.  Can somebody please confirm this and explain the exact process I have to go through every year to keep it valid?

What would happen if I let it expire? It wont be completely cancelled.....I hope.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need to get a new non quota immigrant visa or a re-entry permit every year. Only if you want to travel do you need them.

Thanks Ubonjoe.

Is there anyone who can reconfirm this and has some more background on it? 

Why is my HR telling me I need to renew the non quota immigrant visa and this governs the validity of the residence permit?

Is there any yearly reporting to be done?

Before obtaining my Thai passport I had residence permit.

You need to report every 5 years to to the related police station.if you change your address you also need to report to old and new police station.

If you leave the country you need a reentry permit. You can't stay a broad more than ( I REMEMBER BUT NOT SURE) 12 MONTH

To pass immigration you need both passport and ( white or blue ) residence book.

If you need more advice please contact me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jarno1973 said:

Have a look through this topic. It has been discussed many times.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

9 hours ago, jarno1973 said:

Why is my HR telling me I need to renew the non quota immigrant visa and this governs the validity of the residence permit?

They are ill informed.

There is no yearly reporting needed. The only report you have to do is to your local police every 5 years or if you change your residence.

11 hours ago, jarno1973 said:

Thanks Ubonjoe.

Your HR Department is wrong.You should give them a rocket up their backsides for screwing up so badly. Incidentally if you don't mind me asking, how have you been able to obtain PR without understanding of one of its key elements?

Yes I am a permanent resident. For the past 15 years I have been to the Immigration to extend the yearly extension of stay with a fee of 1900. They stamped on my white book. The re-entry is only required when you wish to leave Thailand.

8 minutes ago, bobeychao said:

Yes I am a permanent resident. For the past 15 years I have been to the Immigration to extend the yearly extension of stay with a fee of 1900.

You have been applying for a single entry non quota immigrant visa not a extension that you did not need to do. That is only required if you plan on leaving the country.

16 hours ago, jarno1973 said:

Thanks Ubonjoe.

Not surprisingly, Ubonjoe has it right.  I also have PR (15+ years now) and the annual "extension" process (technically, it is not an application for an extension of stay) is not required unless you are planning to leave the country.  As it says on the back pages of your Certificate of Residence:

"A Residential Certificate is of permanent validity but it automatically expires, when the holder leaves Thailand unless an endorsement has been made and sealed upon the document by a competent Immigration Officer at an Immigration Office before departure.  If the holder of a Residential Certificate so endorsed returns to Thailand within one year from the date of endorsement such Residential Certificate shall be considered still valid."

So, if you are planning to leave and you want your PR to remain valid, then you need two things: an endorsement in your Certificate of Residence as stated above (1,900 baht and valid for one year) and a Non-Quota Immigrant visa (1,900 baht for a single re-entry, 3,800 baht for a multiple, also valid for one year).  The latter is not to be confused with a Non-Immigrant Visa, which is a different thing entirely.

If you aren't planning on leaving Thailand, no endorsement or Non-Quota Immigrant visa is required, however I always keep both current for practical reasons: (1) I never know when I might need to travel on short notice and, (2) having a passport with no "valid" visa in it can present practical problems when dealing with other arms of the Thai bureaucracy, most of whom will assume you are on an illegal overstay when they see that the last Non-Quota Immigrant visa in your passport has expired.

I don't know about other Immigration offices, but obtaining the endorsement and visa at Chaengwattana is straightforward: turn up at 11:30am (there is never any queue in the PR section), hand over 2 application forms, 2 photos and money, go to lunch, return at 1pm to pick up.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Have a look through this topic. It has been discussed many times.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

They are ill informed.

There is no yearly reporting needed. The only report you have to do is to your local police every 5 years or if you change your residence.

you dont even need a passport if you never go out of Thailand, But renewing your alien book every five years is important

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KamnanT said:

If you aren't planning on leaving Thailand, no endorsement or Non-Quota Immigrant visa is required, however I always keep both current for practical reasons: (1) I never know when I might need to travel on short notice and, (2) having a passport with no "valid" visa in it can present practical problems when dealing with other arms of the Thai bureaucracy, most of whom will assume you are on an illegal overstay when they see that the last Non-Quota Immigrant visa in your passport has expired.

I don't know about other Immigration offices, but obtaining the endorsement and visa at Chaengwattana is straightforward: turn up at 11:30am (there is never any queue in the PR section), hand over 2 application forms, 2 photos and money, go to lunch, return at 1pm to pick up.

Sound advice. "having a passport with no "valid" visa in it can present practical problems" - many in bureaucracy still don't understand that PR means no visa stamp in passport. It's even more confusing for them if you register for the e-gates and don't have matching In/Out stamps ...

Off-topic but given all the hassles reported by people of late over 90 Day / TM30 / annual visa renewal, boy am I glad I applied for PR back in 2008. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jayboy said:

Your HR Department is wrong.You should give them a rocket up their backsides for screwing up so badly. Incidentally if you don't mind me asking, how have you been able to obtain PR without understanding of one of its key elements?

Thanks for your answer. If you are correct, it shows that I am actually understanding the key elements. It is just that HR, who is constantly involved with these type of things, is misinforming me and making me doubt. 

I travel often so I need the yearly Re-entry visa and always have this done. This topic came up because I want to apply for visa extension for my parents who are now stuck due to Covid. Immigration told me they will get a year and then HR tells me they will follow the date of my non quota immigrant visa which expires in August. I want them to get a year at once and don't want to go throuh this process again if it turns out that they can't return before August.

5 minutes ago, jarno1973 said:

This topic came up because I want to apply for visa extension for my parents who are now stuck due to Covid. Immigration told me they will get a year and then HR tells me they will follow the date of my non quota immigrant visa which expires in August.

They are mixing up the extensions for a person on a extension of stay with the family members of a person on permanent residency.

The immigration website only states this on it for the extension they will be apply for.

"4. Copy of residence permit and copy of alien residence certificate"

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_19

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are mixing up the extensions for a person on a extension of stay with the family members of a person on permanent residency.

The immigration website only states this on it for the extension they will be apply for.

"4. Copy of residence permit and copy of alien residence certificate"

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_19

Thanks Ubonjoe...very helpful

2 hours ago, jarno1973 said:

Thanks for your answer. If you are correct, it shows that I am actually understanding the key elements. It is just that HR, who is constantly involved with these type of things, is misinforming me and making me doubt. 

I travel often so I need the yearly Re-entry visa and always have this done. This topic came up because I want to apply for visa extension for my parents who are now stuck due to Covid. Immigration told me they will get a year and then HR tells me they will follow the date of my non quota immigrant visa which expires in August. I want them to get a year at once and don't want to go throuh this process again if it turns out that they can't return before August.

I'm sorry.Looking back at my earlier reply it came out sharper than I had intended.But looking at Ubonjoe's response, I really do think your HR Department needs to educate itself on the subject.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I'm sorry.Looking back at my earlier reply it came out sharper than I had intended.But looking at Ubonjoe's response, I really do think your HR Department needs to educate itself on the subject.

Thanks for your reply. A lot of useful information was shared in the topic. Let's see what HR comes back with tomorrow. Being right is not always enough ????

On 4/7/2020 at 10:26 PM, jarno1973 said:

Thanks Ubonjoe.

I can reconfirm. And it's written at the back of your PR book. Your HR just wants to get covered in case anything goes wrong so they are not blamed, say you left the country and forgot to get non-quota immigrant visa and endorsement, then your PR would be cancelled. They probably have it on calendar as reminder and just want to have it done.

I had the same situation, mine expired on 20 Feb but I said I'll do one myself once all of this is over and when I have any plans to travel. But not in this situation. No point getting 12 months stamp that you can't use for 6 months potentially.

11 hours ago, jarno1973 said:

Thanks for your reply. A lot of useful information was shared in the topic. Let's see what HR comes back with tomorrow. Being right is not always enough ????

My parents just got an extension for a year....so that's a victory. I also learned a few things in the process. Thanks for all inputs. 

• 2 months later...

Hi and thanks for this information. I have PR since five years in a few days. I used to have my house and live in Bangkok so now living in San Kamphaeng (Chiang Mai) not yet on the blue tabien ban in Chiang Mai.
I will need to stamp my red book next week.
1. Do I need to go to Bangkok to out of Bangkok for the PR red book then go to Chiang Mai Prasingh police station or go to the San Kamphaeng police station?
2. Do i need to change my name of the blue tabien ban first? I heard I have to go to Bangkok to out of it (i'm house boss on this one) then enter my name in the blue tabien ban in San Kamphaeng?
Thanks for your answers and help.