Chiangmai Immigration “Drive Thru”

Grumpy Old Man

10 hours ago, moe666 said:

Just used it today the old in and out, one vehicle in the window when I arrived. Handed the IO my application and passport he handed me a blank form, I wasn't sure if he wanted it filled out or for next time it turned out for next time. handed back all the paper work he didn't staple in the new day to report form.

When you arrive they will have a barrier across the drive way if they are full of parked cars, just show the guard your application form and in you go. Make a left turn go to eastside of lot make a right turn and you cannot miss it. Hope they keep it open after all this mess is over.

Had about the same experience yesterday. The queue took under 10 minutes. Hope they keep it. Lots of people at immigration as a whole, the parking lots across the street were full.  

Just for comparison.

Phuket has had a drive through for a couple of years. They don't require any paperwork (TM47). You just hand them your PP and say you want to report for 90 days.

Maybe someone there will eventually work out the sheet of paper is superfluous.

Just did my 1-year extension of visa at CM Airport Immigration.  I was in and out of the office in 5 minutes flat-no kidding.  Yes, I used an agent and had an appointment, but the whole thing went like clockwork.  

The 90-day drive through was doing a brisk business as well.  Everything was extremely well-organized: Police we’re out in force to monitor parking, oversee temp checks, etc...

If only it went this well all the time!

BTW, of course everyone was masked (although I did notice a lot of old, frayed surgical masks that are essentially worthless..or worse), but I also saw a big uptick of folks wearing plastic face shields.  

I was heartened to see this, as “good” masks become harder to acquire, this will be a good, cheap adjunct to masks.

Overall, this was the best immigration experience I’ve ever had.  But then, I’ve always had a very decent experience EVERY time at CM Immigration.  No complaints on my part (!)

Edited by Brightly

1 hour ago, Brightly said:

Just did my 1-year extension of visa at CM Airport Immigration.  I was in and out of the office in 5 minutes flat-no kidding.  Yes, I used an agent and had an appointment,

Sounds good.  What agent arranged that?

Dante99,

There are numerous visa agents all over town, all charging roughly the same.  I’d shop by price and physical proximity.

I think all 1-year visa extensions require an appointment now-agent assisted or not.  They’re limiting the number of applicants in the building to 20 or less at all times.

I have to say I was impressed by the efficiency I saw today.  Like I said, I’ve always had a decent experience at Immigration, but let’s hope this higher level of efficiency persists!

People are still doing physical 90 day report when there is an online thing for that?

The drive-thru and physical visit are for those who don't know how to use a computer, I would imagine.

Edited by EricTh

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

People are still doing physical 90 day report when there is an online thing for that?

The drive-thru and physical visit are for those who don't know how to use a computer, I would imagine.

You ‘imagine’ too much... a quick search will show that the online system in often Offline, responds with a system error or accepts the submission with no additional response after 1-2 weeks.

This ultimately results in some, (including those who are very computer literate) to make the journey to Immigration as it is now too late to send the report via the postal system.

cheers!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, EricTh said:

Well, as I have Firefox/Linux, forget the online system and anyway I was 5 days before 90 days renewal, so not in the 7-15 days window.

Drive-thru in Chiangmai near airport this Monday 3PM, 4 cars before me, 8mn waiting, 2mn to process, staying inside my car. Information : you just need passport and the TM47 form (that you can download online and print). I didn't need any photocopy at all ... which is a step in the good direction. You will receive your new 90 days receipt and a new TN47 form. Easy ????

Phil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khunphil said:

Well, as I have Firefox/Linux, forget the online system and anyway I was 5 days before 90 days renewal, so not in the 7-15 days window.

Drive-thru in Chiangmai near airport this Monday 3PM, 4 cars before me, 8mn waiting, 2mn to process, staying inside my car. Information : you just need passport and the TM47 form (that you can download online and print). I didn't need any photocopy at all ... which is a step in the good direction. You will receive your new 90 days receipt and a new TN47 form. Easy ????

Phil.

Quite strange when 90 day reports were supposed to be suspended?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

They aren't suspended, but people are temporarily exempted. Which means you don't have to do it, but can do it.

I am guessing that even if exempted and you don't do it in Chiang Mai you are likely to be caught with a fine.

So ignore the exemption and simply do it?

On 4/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Brightly said:

I think all 1-year visa extensions require an appointment now-agent assisted or not.  

What makes you think this?

How does a person make an appointment when there is no more online appointment scheduler?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thailand said:

Quite strange when 90 day reports were supposed to be suspended?

Well .. "suspended" until 30 April, or maybe 15 May or 31 May ... anyway I would not take the chance to be with 250,000 guys waiting in queue ... and an over busy immigration staffs. As I heard this was easy to do .. I tried. And It was. Due date was 25th April anyway ... if they reopen on 4th May ... not a big change.

Phil.

20 hours ago, JingerBen said:

Can you do the "Drive Thru" on a motorbike?

Sounds like a stupid question I know, but hey, TIT.

Good question. I would presume that arriving with a smile (under the mask), and saying 90 days drive-thru to the guard "should not be a problem" ... but better if someone can confirm. Did you try to call and ask ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JingerBen said:

Can you do the "Drive Thru" on a motorbike?

Sounds like a stupid question I know, but hey, TIT.

2-3 weeks ago when i was there to get my extension, i saw people doing the 90 days drive through on a motorbike.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Did it on a bicycle last week.  Guy behind me did not have wheels to ride but was pushing a supermarket cart. They were doing his papers as I rode out.

Thanks for that information.

I guess "anything  goes".

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Did it on a bicycle last week.  Guy behind me did not have wheels to ride but was pushing a supermarket cart. They were doing his papers as I rode out.

I never did understand why folks have to take those supermarket carts home with them.....

Years ago I read where a company was making carts with GPS and a braking system. If the carts went beyond a certain area the braking system would engage and the cart would no longer move easily. It was was being designed to reduce the high number of thefts and dollars being lost on stolen carts.