Who has the UK nuclear button while Johnson is ill? No comment

snoop1130

Who has the UK nuclear button while Johnson is ill? No comment

uj.PNG

Britain's Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Michael Gove speaks at a digital news conference on the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in 10 Downing Street in London, Britain April 4, 2020. Pippa Fowles/10 Downing Street/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government declined on Tuesday to say who had responsibility for the United Kingdom’s nuclear codes while Prime Minister Boris Johnson is treated in intensive care for COVID-19 complications.

When asked by the BBC if Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab had been handed the nuclear codes while Johnson receives treatment, Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove said: “There are well developed protocols which are in place.”

“I just really cannot talk about national security issues,” Gove said.

The United Kingdom is one of the world’s five official nuclear weapon states and has four nuclear submarines armed with Trident II D5 ballistic missiles loaded with nuclear warheads. The United Kingdom has a stockpile of about 215 nuclear warheads, though about 120 are operationally available.

Only the British prime minister can authorise a nuclear strike. Such an order would be transmitted to one of Britain’s nuclear submarines with a special set of codes.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-07
  • Haha 1

Personally I'd give them to the cat ..

He'd be the last person you'd think of interrogating or bumping off .. 

there again he might just run off up a tree in the back garden and you know what cats and tree's are like so they might need the Fire brigade to come around with a ladder to retrieve the codes .. Probably a delay you could do without at the point of nuclear Armageddon .. 

IMG_20200407_122428.jpg

• Haha 1

I think this is a very minor thing to worry about at this time, I don't think any government has the time to be aggressive they are busy dealing with Covid and a collapsing global economy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

What kind of a <deleted> moron asks this <deleted>.

Did he ask just for <deleted>s and giggles?

????????????

Most of that that was deleted Jim, but I got the jist and tend to agree ????

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Elenax said:

Cannot say of the Nuclear button but the upcoming recession is gonna be huge for UK economy.

Every country is heading into choppy waters, but I have a hunch that the UK might come out of all this better than most.

My main worry, right now, is whether this crisis pulls Italy into a banking collapse that dominos and ends up taking down the Euro. The Italian economy is far bigger than Greece, Germany cannot so easily bail it out and they have their own problems now too.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Who has the UK nuclear button while Johnson is ill?

Who needs expensive nukes when a virus can kill the world?

Nukes are old school.

Just drop a test tube at a few international airports, and no one can point the finger at who dropped it!

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, donnacha said:

Every country is heading into choppy waters, but I have a hunch that the UK might come out of all this better than most.

My main worry, right now, is whether this crisis pulls Italy into a banking collapse that dominos and ends up taking down the Euro. The Italian economy is far bigger than Greece, Germany cannot so easily bail it out and they have their own problems now too.

Very true. In 2008-09 it seemed like a domino effect. Another biggie that's been on very shaky ground is Deutsche Bank. There's a very high risk of another 'Lehman Brothers event'!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stocky said:

The President of the USA same as before - independent deterrent - don't make me laugh. Trident was/is a total waste of money. 

Everything is a waste until needed/used.

• Like 2

"The United Kingdom is one of the world’s five official nuclear weapon states"

USA, Russia, China, UK, France.

India and Pakistan make no secret they have them.

Israel allegedly does.

Reuters - never bother with the facts.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:25 AM, jobsworth said:

I have heard that the captain of the vanguard submarine will launch all of his trident D2 missiles if he cannot connect to radio 4.

Nuclear button or no nuclear button, that could, in any event, happen if an engineer were to flick the wrong switch at the Droitwich transmitter!