What you love about thailand

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Being from Australia I think we can relate and agree that Thailand is different in a lot of ways.

I tend not to allow negative thoughts enter my mind for too long as I have to counter them and remind myself that I am in a different place where things are very different, or relaxed for a better word, too relaxed, but like I said, different place, and what I cannot control, is something I got used to really quick, I mean in Australia if someone lite up, you dialed a number, and it was sorted, here well, you know what I mean.

It don't believe it has changed a lot since I first came here in 2005, but when you do live here, almost 5 years now, I would say you notice things more, like the "democratically" previously caretaker military government taking over the country, which in my opinion should never have happened.

The above said I live in a rural area in a big comfortable house (my world), I have all the comforts I want and neighbors not to close to me, yet close enough, so that they don't bother me with noise etc etc.

I suppose the biggest negative is the burning of rice and sugarcane fields, literally no police force out on the roads, I could go on and on and on, but to be perfectly honest, we all have choices to go back if we don't like it, so it's either live with it or go back, now going back would impact on my lifestyle, as Thailand Ryan literally said, he paid 1/4 for his penthouse in BKK, well I paid what it would cost to build a double width brick lock up garage back in Oz for my 320 square metre 6 bed 3 bath house, $60k, about a $900k build in Oz, then you would need the land to build it on, add another $900k so you would be working like the rest of them back home to pay it off as opposed to be sitting in it and enjoying it, that said I would rather not work 5 or 6/7th of my life to pay for the roof over my head, I would rather do what I have been doing for the last 5 years, i.e. living in debt free house and investing my money from the sale proceeds of my house back in Sydney earn me tax free dollars to survive here for a long long long time.

The above said, If I ever won the lottery, Australia would be my preferred, but at the current cost of living standards, I wonder how people do it, seriously, it's got to give, sooner or 

Nice post thanks, we have built a house off rama2 in samut sakhon near mahachai my best mate visited last year and said what the <deleted> were you thinking.  But i love it here i love the nitty gritty of this area I love being close to Bangkok.

Regarding law enforcement on the roads the stats say it all horrendous my dear old mum nearly fainted when I told her the stats and that I just bought a new scooter. 

I love Australia so much to offer were in adelaide very different market to Sydney real estate still very cheap and realistic ownership.

But can't wait to live most of my time in thailand

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pravda said:

So, will you love Thailand even more when your penthouse condo in Bangkok is worth 1/8th the cost of the likes of San Francisco, or N.Y. City 

How about 1/16th ????

Like I said.....

Only matters if you need to sell

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pravda said:

So, will you love Thailand even more when your penthouse condo in Bangkok is worth 1/8th the cost of the likes of San Francisco, or N.Y. City 

How about 1/16th ????

Like I said.....

Does it Matter, I have it, and my kids will have it.  I have no interest in selling, why would I.  The old adage is to "never invest more than you can afford to loose", and so I can walk at anytime really.  Loosing a house, if it happens is not the end of the world, just means a change in my daily life and relocating to wherever else I want to go.  The only thing I would miss, is running in Lumpini Park.  Markets always fluctuates.  Guess I was lucky with my investments........

3 minutes ago, caribbean82 said:

Only matters if you need to sell

At some point you or someone else will need to sell. 

Living in bkk????? A good lifestyle???? Cmon mate, it's a bunghole, don't even try to convince yourself or others that it's a nice place to live! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

At some point you or someone else will need to sell. 

Living in bkk????? A good lifestyle???? Cmon mate, it's a bunghole, don't even try to convince yourself or others that it's a nice place to live! 

Ron i live close to bkk we have a house with a backyard just like back home. I could never live in a condo in downtown bangkok but to each his own

7 minutes ago, caribbean82 said:

Ron i live close to bkk we have a house with a backyard just like back home. I could never live in a condo in downtown bangkok but to each his own

You nailed it square on the head, to each his own, and what one man see's as junk can be another mans castle......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

How is the view of the air pollution?

He is happy with the views and also living in Thailand unlike some who leave the country, go back home  but still can’t let go. Who is the happier ?

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The ability to have a penthouse condo in Bangkok at 1/4th the cost of the likes of San Francisco, or N.Y. City, with views that are relaxing.

While breahting polluted air, smelling stinking sois during a walk, and avoiding motorcycle on sidewalks. Wonderful life.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hated the family aspect of Thailand. Bunch of money sucking leaches.

My experience has been different.

But, that is a well know basic one of what a person should not do when they come here. So, why did you allow yourself to be manipulated into that situation?

Edited by bkk6060

10 hours ago, caribbean82 said:

Nice post thanks, we have built a house off rama2 in samut sakhon near mahachai my best mate visited last year and said what the <deleted> were you thinking.  But i love it here i love the nitty gritty of this area I love being close to Bangkok.

Regarding law enforcement on the roads the stats say it all horrendous my dear old mum nearly fainted when I told her the stats and that I just bought a new scooter. 

I love Australia so much to offer were in adelaide very different market to Sydney real estate still very cheap and realistic ownership.

But can't wait to live most of my time in thailand

It's so affordable, why not and if things don't work out, it's a minimal outlay for time spent here.

You have the best of both worlds, living 6 months in Sydney & 6 months in Thailand, I would have done the same but with kids its a little difficult ????

Might move back to Sydney when the boys finish college in 3 years so they can find some work and contribute to the costs there, however just the thought of being next door to people and in a small place to rent, anything from $600 upwards per week would be a waste in my opinion, and I wouldn't dare think about buying back into the market as I think it has a long way to go before it bottoms, albeit everyone else will tell you its on the up.

Maybe invest in a family business ?