What you love about thailand

On 4/8/2020 at 7:19 AM, Lacessit said:

I like going into a shopping mall and seeing a female butt that moves so sweetly, I swear, sometimes I feel like laying down on the mall floor and howling like a dog at the moon.

In my experience, the best 'butt movers' have been lady boys. They practice at it.

23 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It would surprise me a lot;
the horizon is not horizontal (sorry to write this but it is unfortunately true)

But thanks to a great and especially free software, it is repaired in a few seconds

https://www.faststone.org/

2076770910_photodepaysagesurthaivisa.jpg.44cefe5001da8100ba8a555661384c23.jpg

Thank you very much for doing that. It has replaced the original as my backdrop.

Now, the other 1,000 or so sunset photos that I have???

Edited by Tropicalevo

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I do a good deal of traveling around the US. In the past couple of decades the attitude of many Americans has changed dramatically. Do you live there, or overseas? Most who live there do not see it. But, I have seen how heavy their hearts have become, how humorless the nation has become, how dour, hostile, unfriendly and unhappy alot of the women are. I barely recognize the place anymore. 

I find the same when I go back to the UK. (Not very often.)

Smile and say hello to someone when walking on the street and they hide their face and move quickly away.

On 4/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I could care less what anyone else thinks.  It is only my view and my enjoyment,

exactly !  It is not my choice,  but I am not walking door to door or calling people idiots that

choose a different style.   Viva la difference

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

For me, living day to day is easier as Thai people in general are a gentler people than in my native US. When I go out each day in Thailand it is easier to get along with people on a superficial level, i.e. going to the store, bank, etc. As long as I show respect for the culture and speak a little Thai, that helps. I try to be polite to those around me employing the Thai definition of polite. I do all this, but I do not "try to be Thai" because that is not what I am. I am a guest here and I am happy to be a farang. I am very happy I grew up in the USA and just as happy to be middle aged in this Kingdom.

Thank you for putting it clearly and concisely as to what you love about Thailand, and how you take care of yourself.

4 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

For me, living day to day is easier as Thai people in general are a gentler people than in my native US. When I go out each day in Thailand it is easier to get along with people on a superficial level, i.e. going to the store, bank, etc. As long as I show respect for the culture and speak a little Thai, that helps. I try to be polite to those around me employing the Thai definition of polite. I do all this, but I do not "try to be Thai" because that is not what I am. I am a guest here and I am happy to be a farang. I am very happy I grew up in the USA and just as happy to be middle aged in this Kingdom.

i hope you're not one of those (semi) noobies that walk around with a forced smile and wai

everyone with 2 legs .    hahahaha    just giving you some cr**.    BTW: most relationships are superficial , chai mai ?   But, for me the better my thai got the more I felt that i was enjoying it more.    

I love the beaches (no surf is a bummer but flights are cheap to places nearby that have sick breaks). The food is delicious. The women well! Where else can a 'hansum man' like myself have a stunningly beautiful (heart as well as body) girlfriend 20 years my junior without being judged and criticised by all (my shaming home country) for being so lucky. 

Riding a scooter through the countryside, riding the 'Chang Mai Loop' as I call it in the crisp clean air (outside of burning season) lol.

The faith/belief/religion of Buddhism is far more my soulful cup of tea to the shaming right and wrong of Christianity or Islam.

The anonymity that comes from living away for the home country.

The relaxed slower pace of thinking and living.

The capacity of Thai's to laugh and smile and experience free joy unencumbered e.g. Songkran, any opportunity to move to music and dance.

The price of much of what I consume daily as compared to home or other Western countries.

Occasional exploration trips by car, train, and plane around Thailand and across nearby countries.

For those who have a western income level this affords the experience of a very comfortable privileged life, an almost hassle free) lifestyle e.g agents to do visa work for you, get bank accounts organised, help with all govt paperwork and hoops. 

Willingness of the Thai people to include and accept me.

The selfless kindness and warmth.

The opportunity to share my good fortune (small) with those around me who have pretty much nothing.

The delicious cheap fruit.

The delicious gafee buran.

Coconut shakes.

Not needing to wear a wetsuit seasonally to swim.

Money is power here, and in the world, in a country like Thailand where the class structure is so lopsided and designed to gift the well-off its a very facilitating tool. 

I don't have this fiscal capacity now, and so know firsthand the different of living on a small income compared to pretty-well not needing to think of what I spend a month I did before. I admit to envying the TV poster who's worked here for 30 years and has had a steady job all that time, found a good woman and been stable enough to stay with/and keep her. I envy the folks I hear about, see, and know with solid retirement and investment incomes and businesses lol. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 7:21 PM, caribbean82 said:

Good response even if costs were the same I'd be in Bangkok for sure

"even if costs were the same I'd be in Bangkok for sure"

Do you think everyone likes BKK? I don't know when you came to BKK the first time, but it's not the same as it used to be. I even remember when you could almost call the air clean. 

22 hours ago, garrya said:

The best thing in Thailand is the astonishingly quick and cheap motorbike and car repair services. (other repairs are the opposite. It's almost impossible to find someone to repair things in the house)

I like the roads. The roads are new and in a good condition. 

Another good thing is the ease of doing business if you have a local spouse. For her (or him) to set up a business that you can be part of is just a piece of cake. 

And finally, the extremely large number of small shops, such as mom and pops shops, 7-11s, CP marts etc. 

I know this thread is about "loving this wonderful country", but I couldn't help but notice other posters above claiming the low cost of living as a positive. I tend to disagree with this. If you are on a "normal" income, this country is way more expensive than our home countries. Of course most of the expats living in Thailand have (or used to have) good income so that's easy to live on. Try to live on an average income, and try to rent a house, pay bills, buy a car, buy farang food....... Nope. Mai dai! 

?

"I like the roads. The roads are new and in a good condition."  ????????????????????????????????????? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

In my experience, the best 'butt movers' have been lady boys. They practice at it.

Too true , they want to be as fem. as possible.  I was sitting in a bar in the entertainment area in CNX several years ago and I missed my face whlle drinking a rum and coke as a LB called Nok came over , legs up to her armpits.

What do I love about LoS ?   Nothing this past month.  No massage , no walking street , no night market , no having a sit down meal after a bike ride through the mountains.   Tesco Lotus gets a visit every day though as every where else shut.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:57 PM, Pravda said:

Wow..... here is an award for the most ridiculous comparison.

What comparison? IMO not ridiculous at all. How nice to be able to afford that which otherwise is not affordable. Good for him and who could possibly have a problem with that, I mean besides you? Life is short, grab those smiles as often as possible :cool:

• Thanks 1

I think I'm in the wrong forum for my answer. The temples and clean beaches.

(Lk metro s6 seem to best anytime of the year.)

On a more serious note.

1.Food, I love the foodcourts.

2. The cost of living when not in the brackets is still great.

2. Being told to shower.

Edited by maprao
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Do you try to live a western style life in LOS? Thais get by on 9,000 a month, so it's NOT expensive so long as one doesn't want an unaffordable life style.

Obviously never been on the roads I drove on. The short cut road from Phrae to the Queen Sirikit reservoir is a doozy. 2 hours in first and second gear.

Some of the back roads up north could do with a reseal too.

I could take you to a road near my village/town which has deep potholes, and a dreadful surface which has not been touched in many, and I mean many, years, it is not a main road, but still has to be used regularly to get in to town, if any stranger rides down the road in the dark he/she is in big trouble.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sambotte said:

For me :

Thai people. Except in very touristic areas, they are very polite, never arguing, relax, easy living.

Logement : maybe like in all Asia but definitely opposite to the West. Here i find a good (and i mean good) condo or house for rent with no HASSLE. No long lease, no crazy deposit or pay months in advance, no garantor, etc. No to forget at very good prices. Excellent business and fondamental (a country where you can barely not find a place to live is problematic, like France, Colombia, etc.).

Transport : i mean rental of motorcycle or big bike. Same : no way in France, or Latin America, why ? Very easy in Thailand. + good buses, airplanes, trains.

Trust : almost never had a issue for any business like rentals again.

Not noisy : well here it's a MAIN point for me. Go hear the VACARM in Vietnam, Philipines, Colombia, etc. Mostly because of crazy donky klaxon. Not in Thailand very nice ! And i really mean it : no way i live too long in countries with permanent vacarm !

Safety : i don't care too much but it's confortable.

Goods : i can find almost anything in Thailand, well ok in Europe too, but not in Latin America or Africa for example hand rolling tobacco.

Climate, diversity, landscapes...

Immigration before they 180° turn on long or frequent visitors...

Not the food no sorry ????

Last but not least : women. Particularely in the North, i like to see so much beauty.

I forgot : banking. Excellent here.

And hooo ! I forget to mention massages, i am addicted to that. Thai, foot, body.

"banking. Excellent here."  Not in my experience, although there has been occasional good service, but far too many faults to

be described as excellent. Like the Immigration and police, banks make up their own rules.

• Like 1