Getting to Krabi Airport

madmitch

A Swedish guy I know has just booked a flight out of Krabi to Bangkok and from there a Qatar Airways flight to Stockholm.

He booked Krabi as there were no flights from Phuket.

The problem he has is getting to Krabi Airport from Karon.

Karon is in lockdown, Phuket is in lockdown, Phang Nga is in lockdown and of course there are no ferries. Taxis are not even being allowed out of Karon district from today.

The guy is not very internet savvy and probably has had little idea of what's been going on.

I've suggested he visit the mobile Immigration Office at Karon Police Station armed with all his documents tomorrow to see if they can be of any help.

All I can think of is trying to pay the police to take him but I don't know if theyll be up for something like that.

Anyone here have any bright ideas?

48 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Im sure if he shows his flight ticket out, they will let him passed. Why wouldnt they?

he is leaving.

Because they wont let the taxi drivers return! And that is from the mouth of someone who runs a few taxis in Karon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Because they wont let the taxi drivers return! And that is from the mouth of someone who runs a few taxis in Karon.

There is a Qatar Airways flight leaving Phuket to Doha, tonight and tomorrow.   Then no more. 

https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/hkt/arrivals

He should speak to Qatar Airways and get his departure point changed from Bangkok to Phuket.   Pronto.

Edited by pagallim
  • Thanks 1

If there are flights from Phuket and he wants to depart urgently... I'd rather get the flight from Phuket as suggested by Pagallim. It might be possible he can jump from Tambon to Tambon if he has a flight ticket... I guess this is allowed. I guess. Those are strange times... God knows.

Renting a private longboat to Krabi might be more risky since I understood they also virtually "closed" the sear borders, i.e. I think sea borders are supposed to be closed.

Not sure. Strange times. Let us know how it goes. 

Also wise if he is not in a rush to return. Probably cannot do much in Sweden than he is doing here at the moment... I guess. Other story is if you are in a rush because you got to work there, your family is waiting or something else.

Good luck!

According to today's update from the US Embassy, it is possible to travel from Phuket to Krabi to catch a flight if your embassy provides the proper documentation 1 week prior to your flight:

"There are available routes from southern Thailand to Bangkok.  For those in Phuket, the airport is closed until April 30, and the land and maritime borders are also closed.  The Governor of Phuket has authorized individual passengers or small groups to depart the province to Krabi Airport to catch a connecting flight to Bangkok.  The U.S. Embassy must provide the provincial government your information at least one week before your flight in order to receive clearance."