Govt cuts bills for low-electricity households

snoop1130

Govt cuts bills for low-electricity households

By The Nation

power2-kD4D-621x414@LiveMint.jpg

The Cabinet on Tuesday (April 7) approved plans to extend the amount of free electricity for households that use a meter which does not exceed 5 amperes.

The 5-amp households will now be granted 90 units of free electricity per month, up from the previous 50 units.

The Cabinet also gave the green light to extending the payment period of electricity bills for April, May and June by to six months without penalty.

The government has budgeted Bt9.375 billion to pay for the electricity relief measures, which are aimed at helping alleviate hardship caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385558

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-07
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The 5-amp households will now be granted 90 units of free electricity per month, up from the previous 50 units.

Isn't that a bit misleading?

It gives the impression that currently the first 50 units are free.

I may be wrong but I thought it is only free if you use less than 50 units.

Use 50.1 units and you pay for them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, loong said:

It has always been that if you use under the limit your power was free and if over you paid.

They could change the tariff to have a free amount but then there would be no real incentive for people to be economical.

It’s usually the ones who really need it that benefit with the current system.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, time2093 said:

BS, I didn't notice any difference in my electric bill last month and im sure no difference this month.

What is BS. Either you don’t have a 5A meter or you use more than 50 kWh (now 90 kWh) or you haven’t gone 3 bills of under 50 kWh

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, loong said:

Quite correct, use less than 50 it's free, go over you pay for everything.

2 hours ago, time2093 said:

BS, I didn't notice any difference in my electric bill last month and im sure no difference this month.

think before you write something stupid.
Look at your electricity meter;
does it lead to 5 amp or 15 amp?

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, kotsak said:

5 amps.. :cheesy:

What is so funny for YOU.

Seems you haven't left your farang comfort zone often?

Many peasants have a fridge, primitive washing machine, TV set and a bunch of neon tubes. No shower heater, no AC, no pool pump :dry:.

And 5 A is the nominal value for accurate measurement. Up to 15 A peak possible.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It has always been that if you use under the limit your power was free and if over you paid.

They could change the tariff to have a free amount but then there would be no real incentive for people to be economical.

It’s usually the ones who really need it that benefit with the current system.

You missed my point.

This suggests that the first 50 units are free at the moment, which is misleading.

That is not the case and it should read that electricity is free if you use less than 50 units per month.

2 hours ago, loong said:

You missed my point.

This suggests that the first 50 units are free at the moment, which is misleading.

That is not the case and it should read that electricity is free if you use less than 50 units per month.

No I didn’t miss your point. They just didn’t word the English as you would like, not their language, not their problem.

A customer under tariff No. 1.1 who used electricity not over 50 units per month is still get electricity free of charge until December 2015 and since January 2016, customer under tariff No. 1.1 who is not legal entity and used electricity not over 50 units per month for the subsequent 3 consecutive months can use electricity free of charge in the third month. 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No I didn’t miss your point. They just didn’t word the English as you would like, not their language, not their problem.

Yes, you totally missed my point.

I was referring to the news article that this topic is about. A news article from the Nation which is an English language news media.

The news article is misleading.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And 5 A is the nominal value for accurate measurement. Up to 15 A peak possible.

I understood that the 5/15 AMP meter was calibrated  to give accurate reading within those  2 figures

but could withstand quite a few more AMP's  before being destroyed..obviously the meter reading would not be accurate at much higher power consumption.

2 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

Very simple & all will benefit 

Yes, but ALL is not the idea behind.

It's a welfare measure for the poor.

Not for crazy rich foreigners :biggrin:

There is another idea in the pipeline headlined as "3% reduction in power bill".

I haven't looked into it and whether all consumers would profit.

Edited by KhunBENQ