Three new COVID-19 cases, all from Patong

snoop1130

Three new COVID-19 cases, all from Patong

By The Phuket News

1586256719_1-org.jpg

Photo: PR Phuket

PHUKET:-- The Phuket Communicable Disease Committee (CDC) today (Apr 7) announced three more confirmed cases of people infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus.

The report confirmed the following details on the three:

Case 124: A 23-year-old Russian woman.

Case 125: A 26-year-old Kazakh woman.

Case 126: A 28-year-old Russian woman.

All three are foreign tourists who have been living together in the same apartment in Patong for more than a month and who have a history of going to entertainment places in Soi Bangla and mixing closely with foreign tourists.

The CDC were alerted to the three after inspecting a previous group who had mentioned they had been in contact and which led to the CDC classifying them as an at-risk group before bringing them in for tests. The three had not shown any symptoms of the virus.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/three-new-covid-19-cases-all-from-patong-75624.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-07

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

All three are foreign tourists who have been living together in the same apartment in Patong for more than a month and who have a history of going to entertainment places in Soi Bangla and mixing closely with foreign tourists.

Yeah , mixing closely ... got it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The CDC were alerted to the three after inspecting a previous group who had mentioned they had been in contact and which led to the CDC classifying them as an at-risk group before bringing them in for tests.

previous group or previous customers ? 

• Like 1

I think one of the reasons that Thailand has a relatively slow rate of corona virus cases is the culture of the wei.  Thais are not huggers or kissers or even hand shakers like Europeans and Americans.  It is true that I hug my mother-in-law but even many Thais look at us disapprovingly at the physical contact.   Given the proximity to China and the amount of Chinese tourists Thais come into contact with you would expect the cases to be higher.  I know we always accuse the Thai authorities of lying about the figures but this could have a baring.

If this theory has any legs then that would explain the places where the virus spreads the most.  Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket being top spots where you are far more likely to have physical contact on public transport, crowded venues and of course the nightlife centres.   

• Like 2