no alcohol sales from 10 to 20 april

rickthailand

Will still.be sold at the local shop, dont worry about it.

Last year during a no alcohol weekend, the old man at the shop, put all my beer in black bag for me as to not arouse suspicion.???? It will be available, just not at 7/11, tesco etc....

Dont worry fellow drinkers

Seems to me if you want to ban the sale of alcohol, you should do it as a surprise, with no warning whatsoever. As it is now, it's likely (like me) that people will stock up on far more drink than they would normally purchase by far. 

I guess the idea is to discourage gatherings over the holiday, but perhaps actually just saying that might be more effective? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Chummy, bars are shut so folk drink at home...Families are at home, no social distancing..

Does NOT having a beer at home with the family, increase any virus risk...?

I agree with you; drinking at home with the family doesn't increase the risk to others outside the family.

It's the folks who have been buying their beer at the 7-Eleven and getting together, sitting together in front of back-street bars and drinking together that this new ban is trying to eliminate.

On one food run last week, I saw one group on Loi Khraw, one group off Moon Muang Rd, and another in front of a restaurant in Santitham.  That's a pretty small area to see three different groups sitting together and drinking.

Nothing wrong with drinking, if that's what people want to do. And you'd still be able to do it had it not been for the people like those I saw drinking together. 

If you need to blame someone for the ban, let those be your targets, not the government trying to rein in this pandemic.

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Let us hope that works. It would be nice to be able to get back to normality by the end of this month.

Amen, Brother FolkGuitar, I'd really like a break from this looping in my head 24/7: (clickee) Toto ?

I am more afraid of dried-out expat alcoholics running amok than I am afraid of being spattered with iced filthy klong-water during Songkran.

cheers, ~o:37;

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

It not about the drinking. Nobody gives a damn if people drink themselves silly.

It's about not gathering together to drink.

The government has already asked people not to gather together.

People don't listen.

So the government has to take more drastic measures, hoping that  when the three-four bottles of whiskey bought on Wednesday runs out on Friday, people might not be able to gather together to drink quite so easily.

Let us hope that works. It would be nice to be able to get back to normality by the end of this month.

Oh . Brother

But 

Keep on your Crusade????

Edited by deej

It not about the drinking. Nobody gives a damn if people drink themselves silly.

People don't listen.

So the government has to take more drastic measures, hoping that  when the three-four bottles of whiskey bought on Wednesday runs out on Friday, people might not be able to gather together to drink quite so easily.

People don't listen.

agree, this is aimed at thai culture (obviously). generally westerners, if they are not going to the pub/bar, will have a glass of wine or beer at home - no problem, but thais like to gather with friends and sit outside having small parties, it is this form of social gathering that i believe the authorities are trying to prevent. seems like a positive, if inconvenient for those who can't seem to survive without alcohol, move.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Let me be the one to ask for clarificatioin.  It isn't clear.... does this mean booze or rubbing alcohol ?   I's gots a wound that needs the rubbin a'hol...  Gots 2 goes out and stocks up!

Gonzo, I think you need to stop drinking the rubbing alcohol!

4 hours ago, stuartd1 said:

Gonzo, I think you need to stop drinking the rubbing alcohol!

Why ????   If alcohol is good for and cleans up an external wound, why is it not good for cleaning up the internal virus that is trying to wound us ?  Thank you Mr J. Daniels for the medicine.

• Like 1