Acting U.S. Navy secretary resigns after ridiculing commander of coronavirus-hit ship

webfact

Captain Crozier will be remembered for the actions he took to save lives.  In 2017 4 Navy ships ran into merchant vessels and it was months or longer before Captains were removed.  In this Navy the Captain stays only if he endangers lives entrusted to his care.... 

Edited by dananderson
sp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, candide said:

So after finding out that public opinion supported the ousted Captain, Trump now says he's a good man. Pathetic.

"He shouldn't be talking that way': Trump rips ousted Navy captain"

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/04/trump-brett-crozier-letter-165020

Trump instructed Modly to fire the Captain as he made the administration look bad. Instead it turned into a PR disaster and Trump had no hesitation, as expected, to throw Modly under the bus. 

Expect more victims, from the Covid task force, in coming weeks. 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 6:45 AM, gk10002000 said:

Well, the man, and I use that term loosely was horrible the way he dressed down the Captain in that speech he made.  He himself did more to discredit the service and the DOD more than that ship's Captain could ever have been imagined to.  What a small man that probably would have been fragged by day two had he served in the field in Vietnam. 

Yep, he might have made it for, eh 3 weeks. Kabloooey!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, BobBKK said:

I read he copied it to the press but I can't remember where. Even if you are correct (and I doubt it) you admit he broke the chain of command. Normally his dismissal would raise no eyebrows and it does so for political reasons.

San Francisco Chronicle got a copy.

On 4/8/2020 at 7:14 AM, samran said:

What a stand up bunch of people you Americans have leading you! 

The secretary of the navy, in the middle of a pandemic, flies 8000 miles to chastise crewmen and women who are being hit by this virus... you couldn’t make this stuff up. 

Shows the level of care this administration has for its service people.

Looks like trump succeeded in draining the swamp....and replacing it with a open air festering sewerage pond. 

Actually, Acting Secretary of the Navy.

If Biden wins he will rehabilitate Crozier.  A similar thing happened with Army Chief of Staff, Gen. Eric Shinseki, who complained that the planned occupation of Iraq would be too small by hundreds of thousands of troops.  Bush or Rumsfeld fired him, but when Obama came in he made him head of the VA for a few years.

Being captain of a carrier must be a big deal in the Navy.  I think there are only a dozen of them.  Big sacrifice on Crozier's part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trump said acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly acted responsibly by resigning from his post, which was accepted by senior Defense Department officials.

"I had heard he did because he didn't want to cause any disturbance for our country because he didn't want to resign," Trump said, referring to Modly. "I wouldn't have asked him. I don't know him. I didn't speak to him. But he did that I just think to end that problem. And in really many ways, that was a really unselfish thing for him to do."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-approve-navy-modly-resignation-unselfish-2020-4

Modly dropped ~ $240,000 taking a G550 (C37B) to Guam and back, said stoopid stuff, lost his job, and is in quarantine as he exposed himself.

What an imbecile.

ADS-TR.jpg

"when Trump broke his silence on the incident to criticize Crozier's letter — Modly acknowledged making the decision with Trump in mind, telling the Washington Post columnist David Ignatius"

link to businessinsider article here below :

"I put myself in the president's shoes," Modly told Ignatius. "I considered how the president felt like he needed to get involved in Navy decisions" regarding Gallagher and Spencer. "I didn't want that to happen again," Modly added.

7 hours ago, SinCityGr8One said:

The chain of command would have had a broken link somewhere. Captain Crozier did the Honorable thing. Not thinking of his career but of his Ship and the 5000 crew members aboard. The US Navy is extremely reluctant to remove a Carrier from the Pacific due to the imaginary China threat.

Yes, can appreciate sometimes you need to go outside the normal channels. But 30 different people? From what I have read it’s not as though the captain was flat out refused and the navy was aware of the situation. I guess there’s a lot going on behind the scenes I wouldn’t know about. I can only relate it to what I would do which is probably laughable from a US Navy perspective! ????

jim adds some good points: https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/2894984160536968 

and the follow up: https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/2903639876338063

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, skytrooper70 said:

While the Captain circulated his email/letter, widely, there was no evidence that he, "obviously" leaked it to the press. Still, it could have been anticipated that would happen. On the other hand, the Acting Sec'y should have followed his own description of the Captain, as "naive and stupid," when the Acting Sec'y gave a speech, on deck, "naively and stupidly," not anticipating that it would be on social media, straightaway. 

Where he did or did not it is outside of the chain of command. Obviously the comments by the acting Navy Sect were dumb and stupid but... give the guy a desk job and move on.

• Like 1