Immigration set to announce automatic visa extensions and suspension of 90 day report

webfact

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

I can't recall having any issues in the past when I had to use the postal service for 90-days reporting . I always prepare the return envelope affixed with a 10 baht stamp and make sure I send in my application 2 weeks before deadline via EMS. And always keep a copy of the original 90-days receipt in case things go south.????

Same with me when my only office was Soi Suan Plu in Bangkok it must have been for 2 years I used the post office never a problem ,just remember the stamped addressed envelope.

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Is one year non-O visa considered 'permanent resident'? 

Not on your life is it PR, its just another Visa in the long line of Visa's which can be extended or an extension of stay applied for, of course with Funds.  But Permanent Resident an "O" is not......

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is an astonishing day in Thailand. Immigration, perhaps the most backward, inefficient and xenophobic organization in the nation, is actually considering something that will improve the quality of life for foreigners, and especially for ex-pats. This is amazing. This day may actually go down in history. After all, when was the last time they made a gracious gesture towards us?

I have been predicting for some time, that this Covid shutdown will instill a bit of humility into this arrogant unit. Perhaps it has. Hooray for that.  

don't get your hopes up, nothing is announced and the last one came with 10 new requirements

making other people suffer is a pleasure for others

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Is one year non-O visa considered 'permanent resident'? 

we are all tourists

but the lucky one's seem to look down on other people for not getting an extension (rogue IO comes to mind, useless extra documents) hence the need for some of us to go beg for a non-o multi in another country as in country immigration denies us, unlucky few, even to be with our family in a DESCENT manner

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

And so it continues....

·
4m

URGENT: The temporary Bangkok Immigration office at Muang Thong Thani has already closed. They couldn’t cope with the large number of stranded foreign tourists that keep coming every day to extend their stay and pay overstay fines. Please try tomorrow #COVID19 #โควิด19 #Thailand

so you make the long trip to that office far far away

risk your health & life and if you DARE to show up after 10.30 am, off you go, cu tomorrow ?

I hope news like this SPREAD to the world and real tourists never come back

well the horny 2 week millionaires will for sure

IMPORTANT: The temporary Immigration office on Koh Phangnan has already been shut due to the large number of foreigners that turned up. They’ve handed out queue numbers for tomorrow. The person I spoke to was given the 4:30pm slot #Thailand

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hmmmm ... I detect some discrepancy between the message you posted praising Immigration for how they handle the present situation and the motto under all your posted messages reading 

> My tolerance for idiots is extremely low

think what you like - here's a clue 

Now missing health minister 

now run along and catch up with the program

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the Immigration Bureau has put forward plans to grant all foreigners in Thailand an automatic 30 day visa extension

So how is this likely to work in practice in the case of non-immigrant retirees or spouses of Thai nationals? My latest annual retirement extension permission to stay, for example, is due to expire on 11th August. Would I then get an extra 30 days automatically until 10th September without having to toddle along to Immigration with reams of paperwork? And what would then happen on 10th September - do I get a further automatic extension until 10th October? Etc, etc, etc??

47 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

when was the last time they made a gracious gesture towards us?

When America, Australia, British, embassies didn't provide letters of income anymore, the only way to get an extension based on retirement for the citizens of these 3 countries was to have 800000 ThB on a Thai bankbook.

They then create the possibility of the 65000 monthly transfer.

Maybe not the solution, but sure something to avoid the 800000 way.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That you are not in the online database unless you have actually made an entry into Thailand within the last 7 or so years regardless of all the 90 day reports you have filed - and there is no way to get onto that database without leaving Thailand.

Never heard about that. But yes, I have been going out and in during the last 10 years.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the Immigration Bureau has put forward plans

all in the words, like::: put forward, considering, suggesting, thinking about and yet nothing concrete, as somebody once said/sing "" It ain't over till (or until) the fat lady sings""

meaning==is a colloquialism which is often used as a proverb. It means that one should not presume to know the outcome of an event which is still in progress.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I don't get the clue, but never mind.

Fact is that there is STILL no official announcement after weeks of proclaiming that it has been approved and 'only' needs an official stamp...

In a country that is generally focused on take take take x10 and then some

Giving back (sensible or not) is a very hard pill to swallow - it goes against everything they believe in 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I don't get the clue, but never mind.

Fact is that there is STILL no official announcement after weeks of proclaiming that it has been approved and 'only' needs an official stamp...

I know why.... they are using the TAT calculator to determine how much they will loose and the numbers showing are scaring them to death  555

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

whats with all the critical posts on this thread so far - yes maybe a bit late but seems to me like sensible good news and I am pleased to hear this 

well done Immigration - eventually realised what was going on was unworkable and dangerous

Thumbs up from me

Totally agree. To come up with something that can robustly handle the different types of 'stranded tourists' alone will need some careful planning so that the inevitable ongoing administration of further extensions is also trouble free. A work in progress at a time when their workplace is probably more challenged than we give them credit for.

• Like 1

So I am on a visa on arrival. I arrived on 11th March. So tomorrow do I have to go to immigration? Will I que up for 5 hrs and then be told I don't need to come and be sent away.

I have never been to Thai immigration before!

Tried calling always engaged

Edited by Badboldie

1 hour ago, justin case said:

don't get your hopes up, nothing is announced and the last one came with 10 new requirements

making other people suffer is a pleasure for others

announcement due August...2021

• Haha 1